M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

09-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Got pulled over going >200 kph...

... in Germany at 1am as we were driving back to Munich to cut trip short due to Lufthansa strike.

It was an unmarked F10 (not badged, but not M5). Pulled in front of us when we got into a 120 zone (we thought we slowed down fast enough) and flashed "polizie" red LED sign and pulled us over at truck stop. Another cop car pulled in behind us. One very cute young blonde trainee in a bulletproof vest and two unshaven miami vice looking dudes in Polo shirts with Glocks dangling from their jeans. Pretty weird--thought for a second we might be getting car jacked. Senior officer asked for papers, lots of Qs. Was confused that I bought car in Munich but was an American, wanted to know how much I paid, whether I would fly car home, etc.

Finally, we asked "were we going too fast?". He just laughed and said, "no, no. No problem. Just a police check.". And we were on our way. A few mins later we were kicking ourselves for not asking for a photo with them.

Anyway, I guess they don't have the Fourth Amendment over there, but it was no big deal.

Later, hotel people said they always crack down on the random stops at night near Oktoberfest.

Last edited by cnicholson; 09-06-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Man. That was THE photo op. you blew it!

Great story though!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
ibrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray M3

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Almost the same thing happened to me on my 2009 ED in my 335i xDrive... I was going probably 130mph when I got pulled. Cop pulled in front of me with LED sign as well, said "Polizei bitte folgen'" or "police, please follow". I asked if I was going to fast and they said it was just a random check. I showed them my passport and I was on my way. I think it's because of red export license plates, they probably spot check them.

I totally forgot to ask for a picture too!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Good to know!! We will be there during Oktoberfest. Will be sure and get a pic if pulled over.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

I got the pics

I was pulled over in local town too. I will post the pics from the trip tonight.
      09-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

European law are not that different from US in many respects. The Fourth Amendment (which origins from English law) is basic citizen rights that you will find in most european countries and more importantly in the "European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms"

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Europe...ily_life.C2.B9

Quote:
Article 8 – Right to respect for private and family life¹

1.Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2.There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
What the Police did is probably something similar to a US Terry stop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

In some countries the police can take a breathalyzer test at a routine stop, without suspicion of DUI.

Anyway, too bad about the missed pic...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
European law are not that different from US in many respects.
I was just being flippant, but thanks for the info. We actually also saw a DUI checkpoint on the same drive, and suspect that they were supplementing that effort with random stops. We were so amped up on Red Bull and fast night driving, that they did not do a field sobriety test on us. ;-)

Despite exceptions for DUI checkpoints in the U.S., I don't think the cops can pull you over in the U.S. "for no reason," which was the case here with us.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

If a cop, in the US, wants to pull you over they will find a reason. It's very easy to find the simplest reason to pull one over. A cop can say that you were weaving and since the camera's don't start recording until the lights are activated there is no evidence to discount their accounts of the situation. It's your word against a sworn peace officer.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I want to get pulled over in Germany for the photo op. Hope it happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
I got pulled over by the federallys. Unmarked e39 none-m5, said they caught me at the swiss border.... which was 20 mins behind, wanted to make sure the car wasn't stolen, said they were a hot item and once they hit the border they were harder to trace. Only prob was I forgot my passport in my apartment and while in swiss and they gave me a load at the border going into swiss and these guys did too getting back into germany lol. But all is well that ends well. Ended up returning my license and sending us on our way.
      09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
Despite exceptions for DUI checkpoints in the U.S., I don't think the cops can pull you over in the U.S. "for no reason," which was the case here with us.
Yes, I believe that is one difference. In Norway, the Police and the DOT can pull you over or have routine checkpoints where you can be controlled without any suspision of wrongdoing.

However they are now using cameras that reads your license plate and only stops vehicles without insurance etc. Also it's mostly DUI, speeding and seatbelt controls on non-commercial vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I want to get pulled over in Germany for the photo op. Hope it happens.
Thats funny, I was hoping for the same. (Didn't happen)
Appreciate 0