M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

This thread is for anyone interested in retrofitting the LCI NV Front Grille onto your 2013 M5. I have been at this for a while as part designs changed and took some time to get everything in order to see if this is possible.

Here is all the info you need for this: http://avlnch.com/aaron/m5post/diy-nv

----------------------------
UPDATE: I have successfully installed the LCI NV front grilles onto my 2013 M5. It took some modification to the new updated OEM LCI NV backplate. Scroll down to read post explaining the install procedure.
----------------------------
Attached Images

04-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

-----
      04-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I appreciate all the effort you've put into this project! Hope the service guys can deliver for us. This may work for me, as that was a wasted option for my use.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5
I appreciate all the effort you've put into this project! Hope the service guys can deliver for us. This may work for me, as that was a wasted option for my use.
No problem. I have been doing a lot of this crap recently.. cup holders, night vision grilles, aluminum shift paddles.. haha.

Are you planning on removing the NV in favor of installing LCI front grilles if the NV LCI front grilles is not possible?

If the backplate can be modified, then it's a rather straight forward for you to replicate. Just need to order the night vision front grilles, the new design back plate, and that's all the parts you need.

I was going to attempt modifying the plate myself, but I'm sure my local Indy shop mechanic will do a better job than I could.. and figure out the best way to modify it. So I'll leave it to them.

I was and still am pretty satisfied with removing the night vision unit and installing the non night vision front grilles. Mainly because I very rarely use NV in SoFL, disconnect of NV was easy and it produces zero errors of any kind, and the non NV front grilles allow better mounting of my Laser Interceptor heads.

I decided to continue my best efforts on finding a way to successfully complete this because I did pay for the NV option and the folks at bimmerfest found out a new code to make NV rather useful (more so than it currently is). You can code the NV on our M5's to an "always active" mode (daytime and nighttime). You can still press the NV button and see the FLIR screen, but regardless if that screen is on or not, it's still always active. This is nice because the NV camera constantly scans it's field of view (day and night) for pedestrians - and when one is spotted it will display a symbol on the dash and I believe on the HUD as well. Which is cool and makes the NV much more useful. This is what really prompted me to continue pressing at this. The new code gave me a reason to actually use night vision.

Anyways, I'll let you know what happens. I'll post an update over the weekend or early next week. Hopefully everything works out.
      04-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Damn...now you've got me interested in it again. Do you know the link to the coding instructions? I'm gonna wait for you to solve this before I move forward. The LCI grille is pretty sexy.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@DrKevM5 Yeah I was going to say.. probably best to wait it out. At the end stage of figuring this out anyway.

This code is for the F12/F13 M6, however someone posted that it worked on their F10 5 Series with NightVision Option Code 6UK. So, it should work on the M5. I plan on trying it after I re-install my NV, should that go as planned.

I believe we have 6UK as well (2013 M5).

Night Vision Always On - Link: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=697245
      04-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

BTW, you have the part number for the needed backplate?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@DrKevM5
Attached Images

04-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks! So as I see it, it should only entail drilling proper matching holes and we're good to go? What was the cost of the backplate? With the coding update, NV may prove to be truly useful with the HUD notifications always available. The screen is a bad distraction.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #11
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Thanks! So as I see it, it should only entail drilling proper matching holes and we're good to go? What was the cost of the backplate? With the coding update, NV may prove to be truly useful with the HUD notifications always available. The screen is a bad distraction.
The NV back plate was $15. The back plate needs to be modified before the NV camera can be secured to it. The screw holes don't line up as is, so first thought that came to mind was drill out new holes into the plastic back plate. Not sure if that's the only or best way.. so going go bring it to my local indy shop.

Here is all the info you need: click here
      04-05-2014, 02:31 AM   #12
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You, Sir, are my hero! Time to be IND's bitch again...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Parts you can order direct. If you click on the part numbers I listed it will link you to the cheapest site I found for OEM BMW parts. It's ECS.

The grilles are chrome only, so that you will need to get painted if you want black or something other than chrome.
      04-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Already ordered blackouts from IND. Used the links you provided to order the parts. I owe you big time, brah!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@DrKevM5

I now have my LCI Night Vision equipped front grilles installed onto my 2013 M5. Using the 2013 NV camera with all the 2014 front grille parts including the updated backplate.

The NV camera design change made this into more or less a custom retrofit install.

I will post details and some hints on the install shortly. This is doable, it just takes some patience to modify the backplate. Turns out it needed modification in two different areas, and required the removal of the NV washer fluid hose.
      04-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #16
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow...that's fantastic!!! Got my IND grilles and backplate today, hopefully to be installed on Monday. Could you please detail what additional changes were necessary so I can relay it to my tech? Is the washer hose that critical for proper operation? Can't wait to see the pics. THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@DrKevM5

The best tools to use is a tool similar to a dremel.

Problem 1: The NV camera will not sit flush onto the backplate due to the backplate design.
Solution 1: Completely flattened down the three "tabs" (they're not really tabs but stick out like so) on the back plate so that the metal cylinders on the camera would sit into the holes on the plate

Problem 2: The screw holes on the camera do not line up with the screw holes on the backplate. Simply drilling new holes into the backplate wouldn't suffice because of how close they are to the edge.
Solution 2: Glued the NV camera into the backplate. Drilling was not as option for me because I didn't want to alter the part or risk water entry (the camera is $4k). A strong glue was used though (I think it was mirror glue or something like that).

Problem 3: The NV camera bottoms out on the front camera hole faceplate.
Solution 3: It seemed that there were two options. Reduce the height of the circular night vision hole's "crown" on the faceplate, or alter the clips on the backplate. I decided to alter the clips on the backplate. Simply reduced the height of them, and that would allow it to secure in. Need to use caution here to not remove too much material or do it in a non uniform manner as the camera would then be crooked.

Problem 4: With the tabs on the backplate cut down.. one was a bit shorter than another, and so there was a but of play if you were to apply pressure.
Solution 4: We firmly pushed the backplate down, held it down, made sure the camera was aligned and unobstructed on the other side, and drilled a small black screw into the side. This made it solid, zero play, and everything looked straight.

Did a "soft install" by placing the grille on the tabs but not pushing it in. Started the car up and checked the NV screen, again to confirm that none of the surrounding plastic was in the camera view. It looked perfect. Set the grille in place and installed my laser jammer.

You will need to uninstall (or rather not transfer over) the high pressure nozzle. It gets in the way. Just tuck the hose behind the front bumper where it's out of view.

I will be coding my NV to always on and I will also be decoding the headlamp washers. One because I don't like to use them on my car and two because the NV spray is connected to the headlamps.

This defiantly took a little bit of work, but I am happy with the results. I just took the car out (it's dark out now) and everything was perfect.
Attached Images

04-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You, Sir, are a GENIUS!! Looks awesome. What decoding parameters did you use for the washers? Can't tell you how much I appreciate the work you put in on this.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You, Sir, are a GENIUS!! Looks awesome. What decoding parameters did you use for the washers? Can't tell you how much I appreciate the work you put in on this.
It's good to have NV option back. Didn't get around to it yet. Probably code it this weekend, I'll let you know.
      04-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

Good Job. I think you should do the Full LED next!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #21
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Got my grilles installed. Looks and works fantastic!!! I also got the full-time night vision coded, and for the first time I got the pedestrian warning in my HUD! Again, a million thanks to avlnch for his efforts in figuring this out for us.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #22
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Got my grilles installed. Looks and works fantastic!!! I also got the full-time night vision coded, and for the first time I got the pedestrian warning in my HUD! Again, a million thanks to avlnch for his efforts in figuring this out for us.
No problem, good to hear you got yours fitted without issue.

So the ped icon shows up in the HUD after coding? Plan to code mine tomorrow.