02-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #155
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Anything is possible...
Well not really, but for the sake of argument let's say I agree...

Quote:
but with weight, cost, performance, it's painfully obvious why BMW had to foregoe the DCT with the new M5. That can not be denied.
Oh, and then you totally blew it there anyway. By all means though, don't let the lack of facts keep you from making some up. Reality is, no one knows what it has yet, but evidence presented above seems to point to DCT. Good luck with your prediction though.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #156
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

have any of you guys driven the x5m/x6m? the shifts in S mode are pretty quick. The lag would not be shift speed but a slight turbo lag.

Manuals would have been nice on a NA but on turbo's with paddle shifters auto's work just as well and very smooth
      02-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #157
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Unfortunately, you failed to read past the marketing doublespeak, and fully understand that the Mercedes transmission is not a DCT. Please read up on it. It is a traditional automatic transmission with platentary sets and a *single* output shaft. The innovation they've made is to replace the torque converter with a wet clutch pack. The "multi-clutch" hype refers to the typical clutch packs that you will find governing the engagement of the sun/planet carriers in any modern automatic transmission.

I'll let you go ahead and read up on swamp2's threads on this topic on M3Post. He has actually measured the shift time on his M-DCT with data acquisition equipment. It is much-much faster than 100ms.
The tranny you refering to is Mercedes MCT which is an automatic with wet clutch pack in most AMGs, perhaps he meant the Mercedes DCT which is only in the SLS.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #158
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Blame the lazy..

I always find it interesting when people start screaming "Blasphemy! BMW is not listening to its costumers! We want manuals!" I guess BMW doesn't keep track of its purchase orders or something. People forget that forums are mainly for enthusiasts, not the mainstream. You have to accomodate the mainstream (the bulk of sales) in order to make money. 91% of cars sold in the USA are automatics. Yeah, BMW isn't listening. You can make a great car, with raving reviews and a zealous following but if its not financially successful it will get killed off. /rant
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #159
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Did you see the link in his post? Click on it to reveal which transmission he is talking about.

Speaking of the DCT in the SLS though, that happens to be manufactured by Getrag which the same company that supplies BMW with their DCT transmissions. Notice that it handles the 480ft-lb of the 6.2L AMG V8 just fine. So, they are clearly capable of building DCT transmissions that handle high output, and there is no reason to believe that they can't supply BMW one that will handle the power of the S63 V8 as well.

By the way - I wonder why Mercedes went with the DCT for the SLS if their MCT is offers more than enough shifting performance already? Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
The tranny you refering to is Mercedes MCT which is an automatic with wet clutch pack in most AMGs, perhaps he meant the Mercedes DCT which is only in the SLS.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #160
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Maybe because they cant configure the MCT to be a rear axle mount like the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #161
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed_fawzy View Post
An automatic M5 and M6, what could be worse, first turbocharged then autos they obviously lost their minds.
why not the MDCT in my M3? im confused. M3 is awsome. my next car may have to be a porsche turbo carrara but il still keep the m3 sedan to seat the 5
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #162
ViperJPB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Honestly, why does any of this matter. It will have more power and more torque than the previous generation and rumored to be faster. Isn't that what we all really want? More power, more torque, more speed. Seriously get over the manual thing, they are soon to be extinct. And why would you want to slow the thing down with human error and slowness. The latest auto tech can shift faster than a human easily. Why do you think Car & Drivers best time in a 335 was with an auto. Personally I would love to go faster and still be able to sip a coffee from time to time, safely of course.

2009 E90 335i 6AT / Procede / Vishnu DCI / Space Gray / Oyster Dakota Leather / Light Burl Walnut /
/ Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Pkg / Paddle Shifters / iDrive / Logic 7 / Park Distance / Comfort Access / iPhone Port/
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #163
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckr4Straight6s View Post
Yet another reason I sold my overly complicated E90 and bought an all original low mileage '99 E36 M3... And will never buy another bmw past the E46 era. BMW have become some of the biggest sell outs in the auto industry.
That's funny. I did the exact same thing.
      02-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #164
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Well not really, but for the sake of argument let's say I agree...

Oh, and then you totally blew it there anyway. By all means though, don't let the lack of facts keep you from making some up. Reality is, no one knows what it has yet, but evidence presented above seems to point to DCT. Good luck with your prediction though.
And what 'facts' are that? The fact the BMW may forgoe a DCT for a 8spd A/T? BMW can build anything if cost were no issue. The original poster pulled out a Veryron as a counter point to BMW's comment about high levels of TQ and the DCT. It's a stupid example. Veyron..Gimmie a break.

You may or may not remember this but American drivers screamed bloody hell when the E60 M5 wasn't offerred with a manual. BMW stated that the V10 was designed to be mated with the SMG, yet they relented and released a manual. Low and behold the reviews were not promising as the car drove like crap campared to SMG equipped models. So what is the lesson?

All this talk is just silly. The M5 is a touring car not a track car. BFD..everyone should get over it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #165
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
And what 'facts' are that?
There are none yet. That's exactly my point. You just made some up:

"...it's painfully obvious why BMW had to foregoe the DCT with the new M5. That can not be denied."

Quote:
All this talk is just silly. The M5 is a touring car not a track car. BFD..everyone should get over it.
Speculation is fun for some folks. It makes for lively discussion. If you aren't enjoying the discussion, there's no reason you have to participate.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #166
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperJPB View Post
Honestly, why does any of this matter. It will have more power and more torque than the previous generation and rumored to be faster. Isn't that what we all really want? More power, more torque, more speed. Seriously get over the manual thing, they are soon to be extinct. And why would you want to slow the thing down with human error and slowness. The latest auto tech can shift faster than a human easily. Why do you think Car & Drivers best time in a 335 was with an auto. Personally I would love to go faster and still be able to sip a coffee from time to time, safely of course.
Correct - these modern automatics shift faster than any human possibly could and provide better 0-xMPH times. There's very little 'advantage' to having a manual these days.

I ordered my BMW with one, however. Why? Because it's fun.

Everybody has their own preferences. I am planning to get an M5 later in life; if it's not offered in a manual I may bring my money elsewhere. This news is disappointing, BMW is the 'last hope' for manuals (IMO). Mercedes, etc . . . not even offered.
-----

And yes, on this forum we are a fraction of a percentage of BMW owners. My BMW dealer said few people get manuals, just about everybody has to order them special. When I went looking for a 335i with a 6MT, there were only three east of the Mississippi. Three cars!!!
      02-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #167
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I am planning to get an M5 later in life; if it's not offered in a manual I may bring my money elsewhere. This news is disappointing, BMW is the 'last hope' for manuals (IMO). Mercedes, etc . . . not even offered.
If it doesn't come with a manual you may bring your money elsewhere?

Give me a break, no one other than BMW would even think of offering this type of car in manual form and the only reason they would is because a handful of plebs in the States think it necessary.

It's a big beast of a saloon car that's 2 ton in weight, it ain't something that will willing partake in trackdays or even thrill if it did.

Want a manual then buy a sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:02 AM   #168
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If it doesn't come with a manual you may bring your money elsewhere?

Give me a break, no one other than BMW would even think of offering this type of car in manual form and the only reason they would is because a handful of plebs in the States think it necessary.

It's a big beast of a saloon car that's 2 ton in weight, it ain't something that will willing partake in trackdays or even thrill if it did.

Want a manual then buy a sportscar.
Yep have to agree, sports car it ain't. Big fast cruiser it is.
Track days................... .................. NO.
      02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #169
wiltshp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I don't have a problem going with the TT V8, but losing the manual option is ridiculous. I guess I will eye the 550, in hopes that the modding will give it the power of an M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #170
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshp View Post
I don't have a problem going with the TT V8, but losing the manual option is ridiculous. I guess I will eye the 550, in hopes that the modding will give it the power of an M5.
Read up buddy...its pretty much been confirmed that the M5 will most definetely be equipped with DCT (if you look at the test vehicles we've seen, they've had DCT shifters in them).
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #171
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I don't understand (sorry didn't read all pages)...

The very picture in the first post show a shift knob that does NOT look like the traditional automatic shift knob. So why do they say it has only been spied with an automatic?

This looks more like the SMG or DCT shift knob to me (WHICH IS A MANUAL GEARBOX)???

As far as a traditional manual (with a clutch pedal), NO THANKS.

Hope they keep their E39 manual gearbox out of the F10. It couldn't even handle the torque of the E39. Funny to see Americans get their way and opt out of the SMG for the E39 transmission thrown into the E60 (and not even a price difference, LOL).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #172
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 32 View Post
I don't understand (sorry didn't read all pages)...

The very picture in the first post show a shift knob that does NOT look like the traditional automatic shift knob. So why do they say it has only been spied with an automatic?

This looks more like the SMG or DCT shift knob to me (WHICH IS A MANUAL GEARBOX)???
Eeer NO, it's not a manual box never was, and in the first picture where are the shift paddles?.
      02-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #173
Glock 32
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Eeer NO, it's not a manual box never was, and in the first picture where are the shift paddles?.
Name:  M5%20interior%20II.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  330.9 KB
Maybe that is the blinker, but check the last pic, first post of this thread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417386

What is not a manual (DCT / SMG are definitely manual gear boxes sMg) or were you talking about the car in the pics, LOL?

Anyways my 550i 8-speed AUTOMATIC has paddles too (so that really doesn't mean anything one way or the other). I was speaking of the shift knob which looks altogether different than the F10 5-series and more like what comes with SMG on the E60.

Also the paddles are smaller in the F10 vs E60 which is why they are easily blocked in that picture by the wheel itself.

That being said I could see them having issues with clutch that is not strong enough. Well actually it sounds like they have that, but because it is so stiff heavier actuators are required which operate too slow (hate to have to operate the clutch pedal myself on a clutch that stiff which is why I doubt you'll see a clutch pedal offered in the new M5).

I also doubt they will release it with an automatic. I hope they figure out the DCT or even SMG and work out any bugs by 2013 model year release when I take delivery.

Last edited by Glock 32; 02-27-2011 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #174
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Attachment 491174
Maybe that is the blinker, but check the last pic, first post of this thread http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417386

What is not a manual (DCT / SMG are definitely manual gear boxes sMg) or were you talking about the car in the pics, LOL?

Anyways my 550i 8-speed AUTOMATIC has paddles too (so that really doesn't mean anything one way or the other). I was speaking of the shift knob which looks altogether different than the F10 5-series and more like what comes with SMG on the E60.

Also the paddles are smaller in the F10 vs E60 which is why they are easily blocked in that picture by the wheel itself.

That being said I could see them having issues with clutch that is not strong enough. Well actually it sounds like they have that, but because it is so stiff heavier actuators are required which operate too slow (hate to have to operate the clutch pedal myself on a clutch that stiff which is why I doubt you'll see a clutch pedal offered in the new M5).

I also doubt they will release it with an automatic. I hope they figure out the DCT or even SMG and work out any bugs by 2013 model year release when I take delivery.
Well that which you have circled could be the other indicator stalk or as you say "Small Paddle" but it should be visible from this side don't you think?, anyway SMG was rubbish IMO and will not be in the M5, the X6M and X5M both have the auto box, and as you have said the M-DCT box can NOT handle the extra torque "YET". But the M-DCT is not IMO a manual, semi-Auto yes. In my M3 E90 the only real every day difference in the M-DCT and full Auto, was the fact it could roll backwards at traffic lights if the throttle was not touched, once underway the car behaved "largely" as any auto again IMO.
      02-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #175
Glock 32
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Well that which you have circled could be the other indicator stalk or as you say "Small Paddle" but it should be visible from this side don't you think?, anyway SMG was rubbish IMO and will not be in the M5, the X6M and X5M both have the auto box, and as you have said the M-DCT box can NOT handle the extra torque "YET". But the M-DCT is not IMO a manual, semi-Auto yes. In my M3 E90 the only real every day difference in the M-DCT and full Auto, was the fact it could roll backwards at traffic lights if the throttle was not touched, once underway the car behaved "largely" as any auto again IMO.
DCT Opinion does not matter. The transmission has a clutch (well actually two clutches) which is why it rolls backwards at a light (like a manual) BEAUSE IT IS A MANUAL. The clutch is what deems it a manual. Automatic transmission have a torque converter instead of a clutch and do not roll backwards (like an automatic BECAUSE THAT IS AN AUTOMATIC).

SMG was/is a great transmission (as long as you drove it like a manual, which it is), IMO. Alot of people expected it to be smooth like a steptronic auto gearbox and did not know that they bought a sequential MANUAL gearbox which is mostly why it got a bad wrap, IMO.

(The other link clearly shows a paddle, but doesn't mean anything anyways and again, Auto's have paddles and I was speaking of the shift knob that looks more like DCT or SMG vs any sort of auto I have seen). There is not even a button on the shift knob to release it from park, etc).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #176
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BEAUSE IT IS A MANUAL.
It's not, and the reason is that the transmission can shift on its own. Both DCT and Steptronic have an automatic and a manual mode. They are functionally 99% the same. And because of this fact, no typical consumer who walks into a dealership and asks for a car with a manual transmission is going to take you seriously if you try and sell them a DCT. Similarly, no one who wants an automatic is going to drive a DCT and say "Hey, this is manual transmisison - I asked for automatic!".

The internals of the transmission have nothing to do with whether it is an automatic or manual. Instead, only user interface matters as far as that goes. In fact, the DCT makes such a good automatic that some cars only come with either DCT or traditional manual transmission now. The Ford Fiesta and Volkswagon GTI are two examples. And in the case of the Ford, there's not even a manual mode to be found - it's a purely automatic experience. That pretty damningly rules out the idea that a DCT is, by nature, a manual.
Appreciate 0