BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
hunternight5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 f10 m5

dinan warrenty

hey i was just curious my friend wanted to get a stage 2 software tune from dinan but he already has a different intake installed will he still have dinan warranty if he gets problems down the road or just go with a bms tune instead
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternight5 View Post
hey i was just curious my friend wanted to get a stage 2 software tune from dinan but he already has a different intake installed will he still have dinan warranty if he gets problems down the road or just go with a bms tune instead
Depends on the issue ultimately. The warranty is still intact but if a problem comes to pass that is directly related to the intake (like MAF codes or something) then the problem would not be covered under the Dinan warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
The Kid
Learning New Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternight5 View Post
Depends on the issue ultimately. The warranty is still intact but if a problem comes to pass that is directly related to the intake (like MAF codes or something) then the problem would not be covered under the Dinan warranty.
Another question on Warranty: What exactly is covered by Dinan? I have a S1 Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Another question on Warranty: What exactly is covered by Dinan? I have a S1 Package.
If all you have is Dinan / OEM parts (not including cosmetic goods) on the car the car is covered just like the new car factory warranty from the factory. Either BMW or Dinan picks up the tab (including incidentals) during this period. As noted in the previous post if a part that is not OEM or Dinan can be linked to a problem, should one come up, then the warranty would not apply to that repair and the end user would be responsible. The use of other brands does not totally discredit the entire warranty (from Dinan or BMW) by any means but it does leave the door open for gray areas is all.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I can talk from experience. Dinan has taken good care of me when the dealership would not.
      01-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

i have a situation with this topic right now as well, i bought a car with dinan stage 2 software and exhaust, and my drive train light came on, that said drive with caution to the dealer or something. and its still there right now , but the SA called and said did you know you have some dinan software on here, and we cant troubleshoot this code unless it goes back to factory software... because we are not a DINAN authorized dealer or some kind of BS like that. i thought all BMW dealers support dinan. i dont even know what to do other than call around other bmw dealerships to see if they could see what that code is. it still drives fine though.

- 2013 GTR BE - pearl white, FBO on e85, ccm rotors, ported intake manifold, jacks drag950 trans. ADV10 wheels, matte carbon fiber upgrades.
- 2013 BMW M5 - silverstone , Dinan stage 2 with dinan exhaust.
- 2013 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sparky View Post
i have a situation with this topic right now as well, i bought a car with dinan stage 2 software and exhaust, and my drive train light came on, that said drive with caution to the dealer or something. and its still there right now , but the SA called and said did you know you have some dinan software on here, and we cant troubleshoot this code unless it goes back to factory software... because we are not a DINAN authorized dealer or some kind of BS like that. i thought all BMW dealers support dinan. i dont even know what to do other than call around other bmw dealerships to see if they could see what that code is. it still drives fine though.
Around Roseville/Sacramento both of the Niello BMW stores are Dinan dealers (albeit not the most active) and should be able to assist in any trouble you are having. Schatz & Krum is an independent in the area that could also assist. Dinan is in about half of the BMW dealerships and growing but some ownership groups/owner/GM's choose not to participate in the program for various reasons (typically related to a corporate mandate where they only sell OEM parts or the owner being a purist and not believing in anything other than BMW AG). Technically they could reach out to us directly and we would still pay for them to troubleshoot the problem for the warranty work in spite of them not being a dealer but again, some dealers simply choose to not deal with the "hassle" and will only work on a car when in stock configuration since that is what they are used to.

The other caveat is if they aren't a Dinan dealer they do not have access to programming equipment so there could potentially be a some back and forth shipments of DME's / control units back and forth in testing that if they were a dealer would only take a day. With the shipping aspect it could take much longer then that. Service departments are rated on how quickly a car leaves so the possibility of something lingering longer then the dealer likes is not something they want to actively take on sometimes as well. In the same vein, on a flash car, they could troubleshoot the car erasing the tune and not have a way to put the tune back on the car so the customer is upset that they now have to go someplace else to have a separate service done.

Dealerships can be a fickle entity.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sparky
Give Dan and Dinan a call he will get you taken care of.
      01-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Around Roseville/Sacramento both of the Niello BMW stores are Dinan dealers (albeit not the most active) and should be able to assist in any trouble you are having. Schatz & Krum is an independent in the area that could also assist. Dinan is in about half of the BMW dealerships and growing but some ownership groups/owner/GM's choose not to participate in the program for various reasons (typically related to a corporate mandate where they only sell OEM parts or the owner being a purist and not believing in anything other than BMW AG). Technically they could reach out to us directly and we would still pay for them to troubleshoot the problem for the warranty work in spite of them not being a dealer but again, some dealers simply choose to not deal with the "hassle" and will only work on a car when in stock configuration since that is what they are used to.

The other caveat is if they aren't a Dinan dealer they do not have access to programming equipment so there could potentially be a some back and forth shipments of DME's / control units back and forth in testing that if they were a dealer would only take a day. With the shipping aspect it could take much longer then that. Service departments are rated on how quickly a car leaves so the possibility of something lingering longer then the dealer likes is not something they want to actively take on sometimes as well. In the same vein, on a flash car, they could troubleshoot the car erasing the tune and not have a way to put the tune back on the car so the customer is upset that they now have to go someplace else to have a separate service done.

Dealerships can be a fickle entity.

thanks i didnt think neillo would have it since the roseville bmw didnt which is closest to me and also a bigger more advanced looking dealership. but thats good news il be calling tomorrow to get another appointment scheduled.

- 2013 GTR BE - pearl white, FBO on e85, ccm rotors, ported intake manifold, jacks drag950 trans. ADV10 wheels, matte carbon fiber upgrades.
- 2013 BMW M5 - silverstone , Dinan stage 2 with dinan exhaust.
- 2013 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

Quote:
are the intakes ever going to be legal in california
your website still notes not legal in ca for use or sale
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad
Quote:
MSR intakes are awesome. Art.
      06-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad View Post
PM sent but TLDR for everyone else; That's the goal, just muddling through the bureaucratic quagmire.
Appreciate 0