Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Throttle response

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes, when coasting - no throttle - in D and usually when in eco, I cruise up to traffic lights or a junction and on gradually applying the throttle, there's no response and then suddenly, it wakes up and you're off ?! This doesn't happen when in gear and doing it properly, i.e. manually downshifting with reducing speed and then going.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingolfingLove
Has anyone else noticed that sometimes, when coasting - no throttle - in D and usually when in eco, I cruise up to traffic lights or a junction and on gradually applying the throttle, there's no response and then suddenly, it wakes up and you're off ?! This doesn't happen when in gear and doing it properly, i.e. manually downshifting with reducing speed and then going.
No, because none of us use D Eco mode... Ever
      05-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

This is occurs because you are in the lowest throttle response setting. This is a feature of the F10 M5 and not a problem. The lowest throttle response setting is meant to make the car more comfortable and drive-able during every day driving situations. If you don't want that to happen select Sport on your Throttle Response button and the wastes gates will stay closed and you will get more response when you initiate throttle activation. If you want the maximum hair-trigger like throttle response when you are trying to drop your kids off at school, I recommend buying a Nissan GTR.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #4
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

An old chestnut

When I first got my car I noticed that the car in Eco behaved perfectly until it achieved cruising speed on little or no throttle, after which it seemed to forget how to downshift and accelerate without a large dose of throttle

I have now developed a workaround of shifting into Sport each time I think I may want to overtake or need to accelerate. Essentially this avoids what I believe is a programming glitch in ECO mode that changes the car's throttle and downshift characteristics once the car has reached 'cruise'. This behaviour is completely absent while the car is shifting through the gears and its a pleasure to drive. Its only once it reaches cruise on an almost closed throttle that it seems to become brain dead. People have told me this is normal but given that the behaviour is unpleasant and has left me stranded in overtaking manoeuvres, and given that its only present after reaching cruise, I see it as a programming mistake. If the car simply maintained the same throttle and downshift character it uses through the gears on part throttle, it would be fine.

Like everyone will tell you, if you keep the car in Sport you'll avoid this as it uses a different map, although you will be constantly driving one gear lower than necessary.

BTW, the car is perfect and an absolute joy to drive in Sequential mode
Appreciate 0