BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Can't see myself moving to the G M5 when it comes out...what are your thoughts?

So with the spy shots of the G 5 series showing that the display is now the panel style, I just can't see myself moving to the G M5 when it becomes an option.

It is an odd thing for me to have such a strong opinion about a styling cue, but I simply do not like the panel style display sticking up out of the center of the dash on the other/new BMWs.

Having the display smoothly integrated like it is on the F M5 is very appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I will not hurry up and get rid of my F M5 because of the missing future that I would move onto, but it may just have the effect that I keep my F M5 longer and likely will not replace with another BMW.

What are your thoughts regarding this styling or other similar elements that have been shown of the G 5 series?
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

It'll look and be great. I want one.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
No clue until I see and drive the car?
      01-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Speed808Ix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW M5

I will get one hopefully do ED this time around
2015 BMW M///5 Comp. Package I Black Sapphire Metalic I Full Black Leather I Gruppe M Intakes I 3D Design Side Skirts I HRE FF01 I RKP Lip I IND Cosmetic Pkg I JB4 BETA I BMS Meth SS I MSR CP I Challenge SS Brake Lines I Challenge Diffuser I Undercover DP's I Dodson Clutch Packs I VRS GTS Tips I M Perf. Carbon Mirrors, Spoiler and Full Interior +++
698 WHP & 653 WTRQ (Corrected)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I'm leaning more towards the M6 myself mostly depends on price though. With the new 570S and being able to lease one, it makes things more attractive to get the Mac, but the next M6 should be a lot different than today's M6. Smaller and lighter than current M6, with some aggressive looks, BMW wants the next gen M6 to be the next AMG-GT, and Porsche 911-Fighter. But for a cheaper price point, the current Vette Z06 and new Dodge Viper ACR are definitely worth considering. I'll be keeping my F10 M5 for the long run I think and parking something new next to it in the future. Maybe a used R8 too, who knows, but to be honest, I'm not all that excited about the next generation of M cars, I'm just not feeling the direction they are going, with the exception of the M6.

Last edited by RPiM5; 01-07-2016 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

I'll have one just as I've had every generation. If I allowed one or just a few small design elements to prevent me from acquiring a car, I'd be walking.

I think the G-M5 will be a bigger step forward design wise than ever before.

Will leave this little tidbit here...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

I too, will probably be looking at an M6 for my next M car if I stay with BMW. But BMW is going to have to pull out all the stops to keep me though, I am kind of bored with the brand right now.
      01-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
I'll have one just as I've had every generation. If I allowed one or just a few small design elements to prevent me from acquiring a car, I'd be walking.

I think the G-M5 will be a bigger step forward design wise than ever before.

Will leave this little tidbit here...
Yeah I agree, it will probably be a step forward in design, however based on the 7-Series I remain skeptical. I mean the G11 does look different than the F01, but it's not as drastic a change as between the E38 / E65 or the E65 / F01. I'm sure the next M5 (F90 or G80 or whatever they are calling it) will look good no doubt, but it's the inside of the car that I'm not excited about. I won't ramble on again about how disappointed I am that another version of the S63tu engine will be used again, unless they find a way to make it rev to a reasonable 8,300rpm , but it seems as if there just aren't any significant innovations in regards to BMW ///Motorsport Internal Combustion Engines anymore. Like ///M Division developing a whole new engine just for the M5 and M6, this is what kills it for me.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post

So with the spy shots of the G 5 series showing that the display is now the panel style, I just can't see myself moving to the G M5 when it becomes an option.

It is an odd thing for me to have such a strong opinion about a styling cue, but I simply do not like the panel style display sticking up out of the center of the dash on the other/new BMWs.

Having the display smoothly integrated like it is on the F M5 is very appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I will not hurry up and get rid of my F M5 because of the missing future that I would move onto, but it may just have the effect that I keep my F M5 longer and likely will not replace with another BMW.

What are your thoughts regarding this styling or other similar elements that have been shown of the G 5 series?
what do you think of the new E-Class display? It is both floating panel and integrated into the dash at the same time!

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

these interiors are getting crazier and crazier..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Stealth,

I would say it is "marginally" better. I would pick it over the BMW floating display headed for the G 5 series but only because I was having to make a choice of which one is less unappealing.

Edit: From this angle it looks more appeallng!

Last edited by johntomferg; 01-08-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah I agree, it will probably be a step forward in design, however based on the 7-Series I remain skeptical. I mean the G11 does look different than the F01, but it's not as drastic a change as between the E38 / E65 or the E65 / F01. I'm sure the next M5 (F90 or G80 or whatever they are calling it) will look good no doubt, but it's the inside of the car that I'm not excited about. I won't ramble on again about how disappointed I am that another version of the S63tu engine will be used again, unless they find a way to make it rev to a reasonable 8,300rpm , but it seems as if there just aren't any significant innovations in regards to BMW ///Motorsport Internal Combustion Engines anymore. Like ///M Division developing a whole new engine just for the M5 and M6, this is what kills it for me.
I have heard some rumours that BMW AG lost faith in the ///M divisions ability to design engines after the problems that the S54 and S65 engines in particular had. The S65 is claimed to have quite a bit of variation in output and very rarely is at the stated hp level... And both engines have a history of bearing/con rod issues.

Not sure if that is the only reason BMW returned to production based ///M engines, but that and cost issues could be the reason.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stealth,

I would say it is "marginally" better. I would pick it over the BMW floating display headed for the G 5 series but only because I was having to make a choice of which one is less unappealing.

Edit: From this angle it looks more appeallng!

Actually that's a different car. That's the S-Class interior. There are several differences, but the biggest one is that the displays are seamless in the E, where as in the S there are 2 displays placed side by side with a seam and some buttons in between.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
ShikaSenbei
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, F95 X5MC

Not really feeling this M5 either. Same engine makes me feel meh on it.
As for the interior, I am not a fan of the panel style screen either. Each time I see one of those I feel like I'm supposed to yank it out of the dash. A car is an aerodynamically designed machine. A panel screen type goes against that feel. I wonder why they are going for this kind of design?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 04:32 AM   #15
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Actually that's a different car. That's the S-Class interior. There are several differences, but the biggest one is that the displays are seamless in the E, where as in the S there are 2 displays placed side by side with a seam and some buttons in between.

Fair enough. I'll freely admit I'm not up to speed on the Mercedes offering, but I like the S-Class implementation of it better because you don't have the hanging edge to the right...instead it is in the concave portion of the dash. The issue of the screen being continuous or two separated by buttons doesn't seem to be a negative impact to me just looking at pictures. Thanks for the guidance and offering up the alternative implementation!
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I have been in MB S550 Coupe sticker 150+K
Luxury "Designo" to the point I loathed it !!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #17
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

what do you think of the new E-Class display? It is both floating panel and integrated into the dash at the same time!

this color combination for E class interior pics is hideous.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
The Mercedes doesn't appeal to me.

I'm interested in the G30. I'm in the minority but AWD is necessary where I live.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

this color combination for E class interior pics is hideous.
Agree, but if you had red/black or porcelain/black in an AMG version of this I think it would be pretty stunning!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #20
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I too, will probably be looking at an M6 for my next M car if I stay with BMW. But BMW is going to have to pull out all the stops to keep me though, I am kind of bored with the brand right now.
+1, I moved on, just waiting to see what the next gen will look like and if it brings me back like the F10 did.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

The floating nav/ent. screen in the g30 is what i find most appealing. The merc and audi screens are small and look dated even though they are somewhat hidden.
It's the exterior design that worries me. I'm convinced that the g30 will look like a smaller 7 series and to me the 7 series has a terrible exterior design. Went by my dealer the other day, there was a 7 series parked amongst 3er and 5er and it didn't stand out at all!!
The engineering doesn't worry me one bit, it will be a hot car but the design will be the worst ever. Mark my words! I think bmw will turn things around but it will be for next generation. Too bad bmw's behind the curve on the design front. Time to get chris bangle back!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:

Having the display smoothly integrated like it is on the F M5 is very appealing to me.

I find I have the same visceral response to the exposed versions of the display in the BMW line as well as Mercedes, Audi, etc. The pop-up look seems like an after thought, when instead the dash should be built around this essential feature in a car at this quality level. When I looked at the 2013 M6 during my buying decision period prior to buying the M5, I actually looked for a button to retract the display! Might as well have the speedometer and the tach as separate modules on top of the dash!
Appreciate 0