05-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Metallic ticking noise coming from wheels

When I turn either direction I get a metallic ticking noise coming from the front wheels. I even hear it at parking lot speeds. Just started very recently. I also heard it on a fellow board members F10 M5 yesterday, so I know it's not just my car.

Sounds like M&M's sliding into the dash! Any ideas to what is causing it??

05-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Rob same here.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Bmanny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beamer

I am getting noises form my front wheels also. Either its my bearings or Brakes. Over some bumps i hear like a body shingle form the front wheels. Also turning at low speeds i hear like a brake squeal and i have no brake applied
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Yeah I'm taking mine in next week I think to have the dealer try to fix it Rob. At first I thought that it was the tires, but now I know its not. Hopefully they can fix it. Afterall they were successful in fixing that buzzing/rattling I was experiencing in the B-Pillars.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Yeah I'm taking mine in next week I think to have the dealer try to fix it Rob. At first I thought that it was the tires, but now I know its not. Hopefully they can fix it. Afterall they were successful in fixing that buzzing/rattling I was experiencing in the B-Pillars.
Cool. LMK what you uncover
      05-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I get a low volume squeak out of my front end when I go over bumpy roads at lower speeds. Just hate bringing the car to the dealer. Always something!
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Interesting.... This sounds exactly like an issue that afflicted the CTS-V a few years back. The GM engineers discovered that a wheel clicking noise was coming from the aluminum wheels and the aluminum rotor hats rubbing. They had to issue a TSB for it:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...f-cooling.html

Maybe BMW needs to address this as well...

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Rich65
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Singapore Grey M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dave.. Can you elaborate on the rattling your getting? I'm still getting a creaking sound from the left driver side door up high about mid door. Taking it back to the dealer today for the third time. Also started getting brake squeal when I stop from very low speeds. Pulling into park etc. Just hit 2k... I'm beginning to understand why you like your exhaust so loud. Drowns out all the little squeaks and creaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Nice find Tom!
      05-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich65
I'm still getting a creaking sound from the left driver side door up high about mid door. Taking it back to the dealer today for the third time. Also started getting brake squeal when I stop from very low speeds. Pulling into park etc.
Rich - Cabin creaking is probably the rubber seals around the doors. Common on all BMWs. Get some silicone spray and rub on (or dealer can try and fix). Brake squeal is probably a bedding issue. Drive fast, break hard (really hard) a time or two and see if it goes away.

Neither of these issues are the same metallic sound we have coming from the wheels.
      05-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
BodyPlexM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Back

Same here
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Rich - Cabin creaking is probably the rubber seals around the doors. Common on all BMWs. Get some silicone spray and rub on (or dealer can try and fix). Brake squeal is probably a bedding issue. Drive fast, break hard (really hard) a time or two and see if it goes away.

Neither of these issues are the same metallic sound we have coming from the wheels.
Rich, exactly as Rob said. You need to drive your M5 hard and brake really hard. I've never had a problem with my brakes squeeling. I mean I was driving my M5 hard on the Nurburgring with only 1,200 miles on the car (break-in service complete of course) and I do mountain drives about every other weekend. After attending the BMW ///M Performance School I learned that you can really beat up on the brakes hard and they keep on performing. The last mountain run I did a few weeks ago, my front brakes on my M5 were literally smoking (I wish I had it on video), that's how they run them at the ///M School and that's what I do now.

I'll tell you what Rich, I am almost regretting that I got the Bang & Olufsen Sound System now, because all I want to listen to now is my exhaust note. My M5 sounds like pure Racecar, just ask Rob, I let him drive it last weekend. I'm in the process of filming another video and I think it could be ready to be published as early as this upcoming weekend.

Oh by the way Rob/everyone, I forgot that I have another Dyno Session scheduled today after work so I won't be able to take my M5 in to get the clicking noise fixed until tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Nice find Tom!
I had an '09 CTS-V that I played with for a couple of years (pulley, headers, intake, tune, aux heat exchanger and put down 549rwhp) so I remember hearing tons of complaints on the wheel clicking issue. I would periodically hear it on mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Rich65
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Singapore Grey M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Rich, exactly as Rob said. You need to drive your M5 hard and brake really hard. I've never had a problem with my brakes squeeling. I mean I was driving my M5 hard on the Nurburgring with only 1,200 miles on the car (break-in service complete of course) and I do mountain drives about every other weekend. After attending the BMW ///M Performance School I learned that you can really beat up on the brakes hard and they keep on performing. The last mountain run I did a few weeks ago, my front brakes on my M5 were literally smoking (I wish I had it on video), that's how they run them at the ///M School and that's what I do now.

I'll tell you what Rich, I am almost regretting that I got the Bang & Olufsen Sound System now, because all I want to listen to now is my exhaust note. My M5 sounds like pure Racecar, just ask Rob, I let him drive it last weekend. I'm in the process of filming another video and I think it could be ready to be published as early as this upcoming weekend.

Oh by the way Rob/everyone, I forgot that I have another Dyno Session scheduled today after work so I won't be able to take my M5 in to get the clicking noise fixed until tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
Dave / Rob.. Thank you very much for the advice.. Dropped off the car at the dealer this morning. They said the M5 brakes are like that (noisey) and that we sorta paid for that type of brake system. Not really what I wanted to hear though I get that they can glaze and that you need to brake them hard every so often.. Was fun doing that before on my Stoptechs but a pain in the butt to have warped rotors replaced. Test drove this morning with the mechanic and the squeal was there. I'll let you know what they say when I pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
BodyPlexM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Azurite Back

Took mine to the dealer today regarding the clicking noise at low speed. They currently have a recall on a 3 series issue so they couldn't look at my car as they are really busy. Have an appt on June 3 to get it diagnosed.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
dkoren
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - 6spd

I just noticed this same sound as the weather has been nicer and I've been able to open my windows some.

It's speed dependent for me and the metallic ticking seems to speed up with higher speeds. I'm very curious to see what comes of this, I had planned to see about taking my car in to the dealer next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
When I turn either direction I get a metallic ticking noise coming from the front wheels. I even hear it at parking lot speeds. Just started very recently. I also heard it on a fellow board members F10 M5 yesterday, so I know it's not just my car.
Sounds like it may actually be a widespread issue.. I posted about this as well a few months ago: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826090
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Dudes, I just dropped off Mika at the doctors this afternoon. They're gonna take a look at her bad clicking problem in the front wheels today. I had the General Service Manager and my Service Advisor ride in my M5 with me in the parking lot at the dealership. We did a bunch of figure 8's and they both easily heard the clicking sound. They said that they will get BMW to issue a SIB on it once they figure it out.

I even printed out that info about the Caddillac CTS-V that was having the same issue and GM's fix for it, and gave it my SA.

Naturally I snapped a photo of my milage and date before I handed them the keys. Not that I needed to but hey you never know.

I will let you all know something as soon as I find out.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I remember reading about GT-R owners with the same, wheel clicking problem. I remember, the fix, was to remove the wheels, then clean both mating surfaces, of wheel and hub, then copaslip both surfaces, and refit wheels, and re torque wheel nuts. This seemed to cure the clicking problems, but couldnt tell you, exactly the actual problem. Hope this helps, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich65 View Post
Dave.. Can you elaborate on the rattling your getting? I'm still getting a creaking sound from the left driver side door up high about mid door. Taking it back to the dealer today for the third time. Also started getting brake squeal when I stop from very low speeds. Pulling into park etc. Just hit 2k... I'm beginning to understand why you like your exhaust so loud. Drowns out all the little squeaks and creaks.
Playing the music loud serves the same purpose.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Wouldn't be surprised if this is simply the floating rotors making these noises. Notorious for it and it comes with finally having some decent brakes on an M car, even if they do still fade on track apparently.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Update:

Got a call from my SA today. Here's the scoop!

Apparently there is already an SIB out for this problem. The dealer needs to order a specific kit from Germany and it takes a week for it to ship. So I'm picking my M5 back up tomorrow and will bring it back in next week. I don't know if using this cleaning kit from BMW is a permanent fix but I hope so.

Anyways that's all that I know. I'll report back next week.

Appreciate 0