M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Cali01
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Lexus LX570

Downpipes and Exhaust without a tune?

Hey guys! You guys seem a little more active than 6post and since we have the same engine thought I'd ask you guys. Ive had my M6GC for about 5 months and 12,000 miles now and I love it! But I want a louder exhaust, want to hear those turbos sing but dont really want to jeopardize my 100,000 mile warranty. I wanted to see what the safest method was to make this thing sound glorious. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and split the mileage between this and my diesel 7 so I'm not looking to go crazy. Not really sure if the car will throw any codes if I put dps and an exhaust, if it does then ill have to tune iyt and tuning voids warranty as a whole and im trying to retain as much reliability as possible anyways so I'd rather not go down that road. Any advice will be appreciated (: Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
VoytekM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I have axle back turner pipes. Makes the car sound really aggressive. You don't have to do a tune to do exhaust.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      04-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali01 View Post
Hey guys! You guys seem a little more active than 6post and since we have the same engine thought I'd ask you guys. Ive had my M6GC for about 5 months and 12,000 miles now and I love it! But I want a louder exhaust, want to hear those turbos sing but dont really want to jeopardize my 100,000 mile warranty. I wanted to see what the safest method was to make this thing sound glorious. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and split the mileage between this and my diesel 7 so I'm not looking to go crazy. Not really sure if the car will throw any codes if I put dps and an exhaust, if it does then ill have to tune iyt and tuning voids warranty as a whole and im trying to retain as much reliability as possible anyways so I'd rather not go down that road. Any advice will be appreciated (: Thank you!
Get a catted dp 200 cel.

Or
If u can find a Bms Can Tool it will delete code and wont throw any cell light on.

Ps
Can tool ranges from $200-1000. Depending on seller. They are Gold to drivers like you. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
crazyhorse02
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Can tool doesn't work with the m5..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Miesterschaft GTC. This is a valved exhaust controlled by a wireless remote. It plays Jekyll and Hyde with no drone.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Dandadda
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 COMP PACKAGE

As suggested get catted downpipes. I have the AMS catted and no CEL. You get more sound through the stock exhaust. I would do the catted downpipes first to see how it sounds before doing exhaust.
JB4 w/BCM
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
f10eugene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW m5

You can run catless downpipes without a tune, however, you will have a CEL.

Secondly, if you're looking for the turbo spool sound, you can not get that with just an axle back exhaust.

Keep in mind the following downsides of catless downpipes:

1. Smell is bad, especially if you're windows are rolled down and you're at a stop light
2. Cold starts are loud, even with a stock rear section.
3. Pre-LCI cars have considerate amount of wastegare rattle when you let go of throttle
4. For optimized performance and to remove CEL, I would highly consider a flash tune.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Lowflight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10eugene View Post

Secondly, if you're looking for the turbo spool sound, you can not get that with just an axle back exhaust.

1. Smell is bad, especially if you're windows are rolled down and you're at a stop light
3. Pre-LCI cars have considerate amount of wastegare rattle when you let go of throttle
4. For optimized performance and to remove CEL, I would highly consider a flash tune.

What about catted? Will they throw a CEL?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #9
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse02 View Post
Can tool doesn't work with the m5..
What u mean?

Can tool
Needs jb in order for it to work?

I had can tool before and no codespop up but also had old jb with it to pAir
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #10
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10eugene View Post

Keep in mind also that exhaust soot (unburnt fuel) will hammer your rear bumper and diffuser. If you don't stay on top of cleaning it, it will stain the paint. Iron-X, clay and regular waxing/sealing or ceramic coating helps.
      04-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
i would have loved to install a dedicated full exhaust, however, I did not want to pay thousands of dollars. So I did a muffler delete, Turner muffler delete.
Let me tell you. It is amazing! During the winter months, I could hear the burble and the grunt of the exhaust in the cabin, but its only once you open the windows do you really appreciate the aggressive sound the muffler delete brings to the table. These past few weeks has been warm enough to warrant open window driving. and I simply had a blast putting the pedal down. the burbles and the farts the muffler delete produces are intoxicating. and really aggressive when you squeeze that gas pedal. I was driving with a grin from ear to ear. and the muffler deletes are thousands cheaper than full exhausts. You do however get a drone in the cabin. sometimes really loud, but just let off the pedal and it readjusts. But the drone is there. full disclosure. so if youre looking for a luxury ride and sound, look elsewhere. for me personally, I don't mind this drone at all! at times I don't even hear it. I actually wish it was louder. I wish the muffler delete was a little more louder, but that's only because I want to scare folks as im driving. otherwise, this loudness level and deep rumble and roar, are perfect.
Now, I wanted to obtain the catless DP, but changed my mind for the reasons of CEL error codes and the gas smell. Im ok with not having a loud turbo spool sound. Perhaps later on ill get a catted DP.
For now, I want to drive more often with the windows down.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Hey, I'm happy you'r back... it was just couple years ago you came here and asked about M5... Congrats on your M6GC
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
VoytekM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
i would have loved to install a dedicated full exhaust, however, I did not want to pay thousands of dollars. So I did a muffler delete, Turner muffler delete.
Let me tell you. It is amazing! During the winter months, I could hear the burble and the grunt of the exhaust in the cabin, but its only once you open the windows do you really appreciate the aggressive sound the muffler delete brings to the table. These past few weeks has been warm enough to warrant open window driving. and I simply had a blast putting the pedal down. the burbles and the farts the muffler delete produces are intoxicating. and really aggressive when you squeeze that gas pedal. I was driving with a grin from ear to ear. and the muffler deletes are thousands cheaper than full exhausts. You do however get a drone in the cabin. sometimes really loud, but just let off the pedal and it readjusts. But the drone is there. full disclosure. so if youre looking for a luxury ride and sound, look elsewhere. for me personally, I don't mind this drone at all! at times I don't even hear it. I actually wish it was louder. I wish the muffler delete was a little more louder, but that's only because I want to scare folks as im driving. otherwise, this loudness level and deep rumble and roar, are perfect.
Now, I wanted to obtain the catless DP, but changed my mind for the reasons of CEL error codes and the gas smell. Im ok with not having a loud turbo spool sound. Perhaps later on ill get a catted DP.
For now, I want to drive more often with the windows down.
I'm with you. I have turners, I let my buddy drive my car and I sat and watched. Sounded amazing. Inside the cabin I don't really hear it, the interior is very well insulated against exhaust noise.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      04-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

Thank God for active sound guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep

I would combine dp's with JB4 if you dont want to open DME's. Ive had a couple Malfunctions pop up and CEL's but I removed them with JB4. Having said that, I would do a tune regardless or warranty
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have Straight Pipe full 3.5" and no drone lol
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
I would combine dp's with JB4 if you dont want to open DME's. Ive had a couple Malfunctions pop up and CEL's but I removed them with JB4. Having said that, I would do a tune regardless or warranty
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #18
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
I strongly recommend the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #19
Cali01
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Lexus LX570

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Im going to feel out my SA and proceed if I feel like he is mod friendly if not than idk what'll I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Hey, I'm happy you'r back... it was just couple years ago you came here and asked about M5... Congrats on your M6GC
Yea I ended up with E90 M3 after that for litte under a year beat the hell out of it got tboned by someone who ran a stop sign that's how the 7 came about, but yea M6 is a beast of a car, I love the torque this thing has just wished it was a little louder.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1