Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-30-2023, 04:38 PM   #23
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I had that problem, all you have to do is duck tape the drain slats at first on the passengers side drip tray under the bonnet to stop water ingress to faulty yellow plug, then try to smash that plastic enclosure that holds the water around the yellow plug. To dry rear passengers floor just use kitchen towels to dry as much then leave rear window half open in the sun and it'll be bone dry within a week or you can try an electric damp remover. The carpet has very thick stiff sponge base and awkward and time consuming to remove.
Thread revival!!!

My yellow grommet is kaput! By "smash the plastic enclosure", do you mean remove the grommet, then using a load screwdriver or similar implement pointing forwards towards the engine, pierce a hole as low down as possible in the next layer a few inches beyond where the grommet would sit?

If I reach inside the cavity behind the grommet, I can feel a drainage hole at about the 7 o'clock position which leads to behind the arch liner (or so I'd imagine). I've poked a big thick cable tie down that hole and all seems clear. Next job is to remove arch liner and clear out anything that side. Got Tigerseal and a grommet on order! Just curious about your tip about making a hole!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 07:18 AM   #24
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
Thread revival!!!

My yellow grommet is kaput! By "smash the plastic enclosure", do you mean remove the grommet, then using a load screwdriver or similar implement pointing forwards towards the engine, pierce a hole as low down as possible in the next layer a few inches beyond where the grommet would sit?

If I reach inside the cavity behind the grommet, I can feel a drainage hole at about the 7 o'clock position which leads to behind the arch liner (or so I'd imagine). I've poked a big thick cable tie down that hole and all seems clear. Next job is to remove arch liner and clear out anything that side. Got Tigerseal and a grommet on order! Just curious about your tip about making a hole!
Yes what causes the grommet to fail is that cavity plastic enclosure behind the grommet when the drain tube gets blocked there and water build up eventually weakens the yellow grommet, a bad design. Smashing it lets the water just drain to the ground, your drain is probably partially or fully blocked like mine was and I would just do that without removing arch liner.
The black duck tape on the drip tray slats under the bonnet immediately stops the water (with a car wash sponge or similar placed on top to soak up the puddle) entering that problem cavity plastic hold to fill up and get past the weak grommet (which I think is for LHD steering shaft) and flood the passenger floorwell. It's a tight and knuckle grinding job with that stupid one inch thick frozen sponge sound deadening that won't budge easy, could just cut it for easier access with very sharp stanley knife for ease but lots of wiring there ! then fit your grommet with a proper sealant after smashing the problem plastic cavity water hold.
You can keep the duck tape on the slats for double insurance against any further flooding...hopefully this s#it constant rain will soon disperse.

Last edited by M5Rick; 10-31-2023 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
m5rosco210.50
      02-25-2024, 05:22 PM   #25
DiskoSleaZe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 2013 F10 M5

Sorry to bump a old thread... But I was just cleaning my car and noticed that my rear driver's side floor was soaked. The headliner is dry as a bone and and everything else is completely dry. Door jams, sunroof, etc etc too...Would this be the dreaded yellow grommet thing too? I was under the impression that it was UK model cars only. Any insight would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:42 AM   #26
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiskoSleaZe View Post
Sorry to bump a old thread... But I was just cleaning my car and noticed that my rear driver's side floor was soaked. The headliner is dry as a bone and and everything else is completely dry. Door jams, sunroof, etc etc too...Would this be the dreaded yellow grommet thing too? I was under the impression that it was UK model cars only. Any insight would be awesome!
May be a door drain channel is blocked, water still enters into door when its raining and should drain out or as you say it could be the dreaded grommet leak on the right side of bulkhead. If car is parked say on a hill/driveway front up then the water would travel down to the rear footwell, then deal with it as I suggested.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:23 AM   #27
DiskoSleaZe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
May be a door drain channel is blocked, water still enters into door when its raining and should drain out or as you say it could be the dreaded grommet leak on the right side of bulkhead. If car is parked say on a hill/driveway front up then the water would travel down to the rear footwell, then deal with it as I suggested.
EDIT:: As I apologize for asking a dumb question and I don't want or let anyone do the work for me lol. I had just woke up and was "think typing" 😂

My car sits on a level driveway, although here in Socal, we've had a tremendous amount of rain over the last month. It just doesn't make sense to me that the water could run all the way from up front to just the rear driver side footwell and nothing else be wet. But I will check the drain holes for sure.

But I will say that I did notice the rubber seal (that rests on the windshield, on the windshield cowl is all dry cracked. Could water be running down there prematurely and cause this?

Last edited by DiskoSleaZe; 02-26-2024 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0