Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirotti View Post
I had 3 different people at the dealer tell me, during the first week I bought my car, to "make sure you bring it in for it's first 1200 mile service. trust me" type of conversation.

I understand the importance of mandatory service, but 3 separate people made a point to tell me that it would be worth my while to do so.
You find it odd that three people working for a BWM dealership all have the same misinformation? Unfortunately, I consider that more "typical" than odd.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
I understand that some people "feel" that the car is faster. But... I have to believe that if there was a power change as a result of the 1,200 mile service that it would be thoroughly documented in some procedure manual for BMW to give to the service departments.

Until I see any real documentation (like the documentation in the other thread regarding the margin of error in the speedo) I am going to feel pretty comfortable that there is no change.
also there is no document to show how to perform smoky burn-out while car is capable to do and is advertised! As examples there is document to claim car has 560 HP but people dynoed it and proved it's over than 560. BMW website claims 0-60 in 4.1 second, but there are lots of people including Motor trend proved the 3.7 second... I understand you and I see your point, but if there is no document, it doesn't mean that this is fake! Do you have any document to claim how fast DCT change the gears? I can and you can prove that it's gonna be less than 100 ms, but I cannot show you any document. anyways, my point is that you cannot rely on just documents since they may be underrated or does not exist!

Quote:
Think about it, prior to the service most owners are driving the car very delicately. Not going full throttle, not going over 5,500rpm. Of course the car is going to feel faster after you start pushing the limits.
and most people who claim they did not experience over 5500 during the brake-in, they actually did !!! They also experienced the sport+ in over 5500 as well as acceleration ofcourse without LC since is not available
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
How do you "know" that there is a software update? Is it listed on your service report? Most software updates take at least 3-4 hours: assuming they don't have any hiccups. There are lots of folks - myself included - who's service was completed in an hour or two.
FYI My service took 4 hours and SA mentioned Software Update
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #26
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
also there is no document to show how to perform smoky burn-out while car is capable to do and is advertised! As examples there is document to claim car has 560 HP but people dynoed it and proved it's over than 560. BMW website claims 0-60 in 4.1 second, but there are lots of people including Motor trend proved the 3.7 second... I understand you and I see your point, but if there is no document, it doesn't mean that this is fake! Do you have any document to claim how fast DCT change the gears? I can and you can prove that it's gonna be less than 100 ms, but I cannot show you any document. anyways, my point is that you cannot rely on just documents since they may be underrated or does not exist!
You're talking about marketing material and I am talking about service documentation. I am willing to bet that there is a written procedure outlining every type of maintenance item that can/should be performed by the dealership. I would be extremely surprised if there was an actual change in software or performance and it wasn't documented anywhere.

However, I'll be open minded about this. I'll shoot an email over to the Technical Service Manager at my dealership and ask what is going on. I'll report back when I get his response.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
FYI My service took 4 hours and SA mentioned Software Update
The software update could be unrelated to the 1,200 mile service. They may have released a software patch and decided to upload it to the car as long as they had it in for service.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #28
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
However, I'll be open minded about this. I'll shoot an email over to the Technical Service Manager at my dealership and ask what is going on. I'll report back when I get his response.
Good idea... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Guess it only took one experience to sour me, but I also can't see myself with the same ride for more than four years or when the next f10 hits the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #30
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

Well I got my car back tonight and it feels so different in throttle response... The tech showed me a huge list of updates that were done , he started doing them last night as there was so many..... But un able to remove the start stop thing�� it's the first time I have been in m2 and over 5500 revs... And all I can say is wow.......... I don't really care if they unlocked more power as it is fast enough like this.... and I love it.......
      06-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #31
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelf View Post
Well I got my car back tonight and it feels so different in throttle response... The tech showed me a huge list of updates that were done , he started doing them last night as there was so many..... But un able to remove the start stop thing�� it's the first time I have been in m2 and over 5500 revs... And all I can say is wow.......... I don't really care if they unlocked more power as it is fast enough like this.... and I love it.......
Can you please post a copy of that list? The car feels faster b/c it is the first time you have been in M2 (which you could have done during break in) and over 5500. Probably the first time you have been really full throttle since it is very hard to do that and not break 5500.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #32
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I understand that some people "feel" that the car is faster. But... I have to believe that if there was a power change as a result of the 1,200 mile service that it would be thoroughly documented in some procedure manual for BMW to give to the service departments.

Until I see any real documentation (like the documentation in the other thread regarding the margin of error in the speedo) I am going to feel pretty comfortable that there is no change.

Think about it, prior to the service most owners are driving the car very delicately. Not going full throttle, not going over 5,500rpm. Of course the car is going to feel faster after you start pushing the limits.

To me, it is along the same lines as people who say the car feels faster is sport mode vs. efficient mode. It does feel faster, but there is no actual change in power output.
Same here, I have asked BMW tech here in Taiwan and they have never heard of SW upgrade for power increase after 1200 miles for the M5.

So unless I see some hard evidence, I not believing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #33
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Quote:
You're talking about marketing material and I am talking about service documentation. I am willing to bet that there is a written procedure outlining every type of maintenance item that can/should be performed by the dealership. I would be extremely surprised if there was an actual change in software or performance and it wasn't documented anywhere.

Ok, I got a response from my technical service manager. Here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by email received from Technical Service Manager
Sorry for the late response. You probably already found the data elsewhere, but indeed you are correct based on the MY 2013 / F10 M5 with the S63TU engine variant.

The DME and engine output from the S63TU are at full maximum output from the factory. The factory recommends that the driver does not exceed 5500 RPM and avoid full throttle till the 1200 mile break-in period is passed. But there is one exception. The launch mode of the DTC transmission is not activated till after the 1200 mile service is performed and cleared out using our diagnostic equipment. So in a sense you do not get to enjoy the launch control till for a bit.

To touch on your theory regarding the vehicle/engine seeming faster after the break-in period: These S63TU and all previous M engines are built pretty tight. After some mileage is put on the engine they loosen up and give some good output. I have read that some guys in Germany, Great Britain, and California have been dyning the S63TU and the average mileage for peak break-in is around 1450 miles and you should be seeing max HP and Torque on a dyno. But... per BMW Motorsport group please go for it after the 1200 mile break-requirement and feel free to exceed 5500 rpm.

The preceding E60 M5 with the S85 engine variant “did” have output reduction mapping in the DME until the 1200 mile services were performed and cleared.

I hope this squashes your debates and also helps you and your friend be more technical savvy in the M world of BMW Motorsports. Please enjoy those beasts as much as possible!!

Regards,

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)

Last edited by Ex_Stig; 06-10-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #34
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

I can't believe this topic is still being brought up.
The extra "pull" some of you are feeling is all mental. There is nothing that the dealers/techs do at the 1200 mile service. The best tuners in the world have been unable to crack the ecus for the last couple of years. What makes anyone think that BMW techs have access to some magic software that unlocks bonus levels in the ecus? LOL
I did not follow the break-in procedures and beat on the car from mile 1 by going through the whole rpm range. The car now has 15k miles and runs very strong.
Bone stock on a dyno jet it dynoed 552 whp.

Time to drop this topic and read some good info on how engines work.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
      06-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #35
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:

" Sorry for the late response. You probably already found the data elsewhere, but indeed you are correct based on the MY 2013 / F10 M5 with the S63TU engine variant.

The DME and engine output from the S63TU are at full maximum output from the factory. The factory recommends that the driver does not exceed 5500 RPM and avoid full throttle till the 1200 mile break-in period is passed. But there is one exception………. The launch mode of the DTC transmission is not activated till after the 1200 mile service is performed and cleared out using our diagnostic equipment. So in a sense you do not get to enjoy the launch control till for a bit.

To touch on your theory regarding the vehicle/engine seeming faster after the break-in period…… These S63TU and all previous M engines are built pretty tight. After some mileage is put on the engine they loosen up and give some good output. I have read that some guys in Germany, Great Britain, and California have been dyno’ing the S63TU and the average mileage for peak break-in is around 1450 miles and you should be seeing max HP and Torque on a dyno. But….. per BMW Motorsport group please go for it after the 1200 mile break-requirement and feel free to exceed 5500 rpm.

The preceding E60 M5 with the S85 engine variant “did” have output reduction mapping in the DME until the 1200 mile services were performed and cleared.

I hope this squashes your debates…. and also helps you and your friend be more technical savvy in the M world of BMW Motorsports. Please enjoy those beasts as much as possible!!

Regards,"
Thank you for update!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #36
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:

" Sorry for the late response. You probably already found the data elsewhere, but indeed you are correct based on the MY 2013 / F10 M5 with the S63TU engine variant.

The DME and engine output from the S63TU are at full maximum output from the factory. The factory recommends that the driver does not exceed 5500 RPM and avoid full throttle till the 1200 mile break-in period is passed. But there is one exception………. The launch mode of the DTC transmission is not activated till after the 1200 mile service is performed and cleared out using our diagnostic equipment. So in a sense you do not get to enjoy the launch control till for a bit.

To touch on your theory regarding the vehicle/engine seeming faster after the break-in period…… These S63TU and all previous M engines are built pretty tight. After some mileage is put on the engine they loosen up and give some good output. I have read that some guys in Germany, Great Britain, and California have been dyno’ing the S63TU and the average mileage for peak break-in is around 1450 miles and you should be seeing max HP and Torque on a dyno. But….. per BMW Motorsport group please go for it after the 1200 mile break-requirement and feel free to exceed 5500 rpm.

I hope this squashes your debates…. and also helps you and your friend be more technical savvy in the M world of BMW Motorsports. Please enjoy those beasts as much as possible!!

Regards,"

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0