Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-10-2022, 10:39 PM   #1
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Instrument cluster anomaly - M Modes view gone

Hey all, thought I would post here since this sub is a bit more active, and these cars are pretty much identical. Just got this M6 after having my F10 M5 last year, wanted a proper coupe.

Car is as 2016 M6, My issue is, the M1/M2 buttons do not do anything, and the M modes bar is not displayed under the tach, only efficient dynamics bar. Even if I enable/disable the M dynamic mode option in the cluster settings on IDrive.

I have 2 steering wheels, and swapped both, so I know its not a wiring issue, and all other buttons/paddles work just fine.

I've also noticed, that the icons on my cluster look more like a regular 5/6 series, with the gears displayed under the Tachometer, rather than in the middle of the cluster with the D or S and the DCT intensity bar.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B7i...YHXhoTzIrfSTlo

In this second video you can see, I can shift between C and M (also Odd, different letters) modes and the paddles work. I can also individually click the M settings next to shifter and I can feel the car react to the changes, just not visible indication on the cluster.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xmu...RAovQHfwHoJECe

Any recommendations appreciated. I will be getting ISAT+ setup soon, to keep diagnosing this further.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Honestly it looks like some funky coding has gone on and changed some of your displays. Almost like Bimmer Code in expert mode and the display has been changed to a Basic 6 series display.
fstm5145.50
      08-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #3
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Honestly it looks like some funky coding has gone on and changed some of your displays. Almost like Bimmer Code in expert mode and the display has been changed to a Basic 6 series display.
Yes, exactly that. I’m trying to figure out how this could’ve been done but not much on it. I’m setting up my ISTA so that I can see if I can diagnose that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Yes, exactly that. I’m trying to figure out how this could’ve been done but not much on it. I’m setting up my ISTA so that I can see if I can diagnose that way.
That's so odd

Like someone said above that's the basic 6 series cluster 640-650i's

Previous owner must have coded it with bimmercode but I don't see why they'd do that, I'd try to see if you can mess with it with bimmercode and see if you can get the stock displays back

I have the same coding issue with my m5 but mine is that I can't control the launch control RPMS
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
That's so odd

Previous owner must have coded it with bimmercode but I don't see why they'd do that, I'd try to see if you can mess with it with bimmercode and see if you can get the stock displays back

I have the same coding issue with my m5 but mine is that I can't control the launch control RPMS
I will post back once I figure it out. Definitely is the Basic 6 series look. I do have BimmerCode and did find a bunch of options coded. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed something they weren’t supposed too. I will look under expert mode specifically where you change options for coding sports displays etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
That's so odd

I will post back once I figure it out. Definitely is the Basic 6 series look. I do have BimmerCode and did find a bunch of options coded. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed something they weren’t supposed too. I will look under expert mode specifically where you change options for coding sports displays etc.
I wish they had a mode where you can reset everything to factory coding
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:32 PM   #7
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have tried, re-coding the Kombi, and flash an update to the Kombi with no luck.
Appreciate 0