Closed Thread

01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Modded 535i a threat?

I was with my cousin going for a nice Sunday drive since he was visiting for the weekend. Went on some nice driving roads, did a nice blast on the scenic Mulholland Dr (they desperately need to repave parts of it, but I digress) then settled down and just cruised through Hollywood. Decided to fill up at Shell because the car was on reserve fuel and making me feel guilty . Pulling in, I notice a white F10 535i behind me with heavy tints and M Tech kit. It had what appeared to be 21 inch gunmetal Forgiatos and M badges on BOTH kidneys. I pull up to the first pump and he pulls up right behind me. As I get out to ring up my pump, I notice the guy checking out my car and doing a walk around. I walk out and compliment his F10 thinking there would be some kind of a camaraderie between us. Our exchange went something like this.
Me- "Nice M Sport, bet she goes real nice!"
Guy-"Wish I could say the same about yours. I've destroyed a couple of those on the highway already."
Me-"(nervous laughter) Really? What mods do you have?" I am stupefied by now, almost in disbelief
Guy-"Its got a Vorsteiner exhaust, JB4 and intake. Probably good for 500 hp. Those new M5s are overhyped, they dont make anywhere near what BMW claims. You paid too much for that thing, bud. I can beat you for a fraction of the cost."
Me-"Is that so? That's impressive performance from a 6 cylinder." Taking out my pump and wondering how on earth the N55 got 500 hp with 3 mods
Guy-"You wanna go for a run? I'll go easy on you."
Me-"Thanks for the offer, but I've got to get going. Trying to get some lunch, but nice meeting you man, take care."
My questions are: Is this guy on 5post? Should I be remotely threatened by tuned 535i's? How on earth can a 535i destroy an M5? I know those N55s can be massively quick for relatively little money. My cousin said I should've taken him up on the offer, and now I'm actually curious. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

bullsh!t.. especially with the N55's. N54's with meth and downpipes, not even my z4 35is came close from a acceleration perspective with the M5.. take his pink slip with launch control or throw a few corners into it and you won't even see him behind you.

http://burgertuning.com/N55_Stage2_Jb4.html

btw.. Terry's beta tune just came out for the N63/S63.

Last edited by SANguru; 01-27-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

What an asshole. I would have just said, well thats a really cute car, but this a M. This car is about a lot more than just speed. Have a good day hater
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Yeah, real overrated

The "couple he just destroyed" probably took one look at the fake dual M badges and rolled their eyes as he triumphantly raced by himself down the street.
      01-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
turbologist
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: tricycle

You were being too respectful there...I would've laughed at the ricer and took him up on his offer...

Props for being classy though... Shows you the type of people that drive around in tastelessly modded cars regardless of what it may cost...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

You were far too polite. I would've taken him up on the race and show him who deserves the M badging. What a tool
      01-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

What can we say? For some ppl, a sticker adds 100hp lol
      01-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Protious
Private First Class
Rep

Haha no.. I upgraded from a F10 535i, there is no way. Specially not from JB4, Exhaust, and an intake.

You were a lot nicer then I would've been though. He thinks the M5 is overrated but badges his 535 like a M, and heavily tints his windows so no one can see inside? What a poser.

Last edited by Protious; 01-28-2013 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

That make us 535i owners look bad lol.

I have the Burger tune and an Exhaust too. But the max I am getting is 350hp. (probably)

It is impossible to get it to 500 ROFL.
      01-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

crap i cant believe that actually happened. i would have thought a guy with a 535i would have been in AWE when seeing "the real thing" and been all nice to you and stuff. thats all ive ever encountered from everyone. even people who didnt even drive BMW's.

but you really should have gone for the run, after all, it would have answered your question. if he had won, then at least he would have been walking the walk, and if you had beat him(the more likely outcome) it would have been that much sweeter!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Interesting exchange. I wonder what motivates that particular kind of aggression and crass behavior? My guess is the 535 driver has a huge chip on his shoulder and this is how he acts out. It's his way of coping with envy and jealousy. Perhaps some deep seeded insecurities? Who knows...

Back in my day, if someone came calling like that and you pulled their punk card, you'd discover one of two things. They just wanted to see your car run knowing they'd loose just to size you up and have fun or they had some serious tricks up their sleeve like a hidden multistage N2O setup.

Lets consider the second scenario and give the engine enough latitude to assume it will hold up to the power. Lets say this was an AWD 535 with a tune, exhaust and a well engineered N2O setup. My guess is it would be quick off the line and build considerable power and torque throughout its RPM range. This would make 0-100mph a pure traction contest. A contest the M5 could loose?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Poser. Probably couldnt afford one or get approved for financing. Its funny seeing people with big sound systems, wheels, etc when their MODS are worth more than the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Tomcat2048
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
I was with my cousin going for a nice Sunday drive since he was visiting for the weekend. Went on some nice driving roads, did a nice blast on the scenic Mulholland Dr (they desperately need to repave parts of it, but I digress) then settled down and just cruised through Hollywood. Decided to fill up at Shell because the car was on reserve fuel and making me feel guilty . Pulling in, I notice a white F10 535i behind me with heavy tints and M Tech kit. It had what appeared to be 21 inch gunmetal Forgiatos and M badges on BOTH kidneys. I pull up to the first pump and he pulls up right behind me. As I get out to ring up my pump, I notice the guy checking out my car and doing a walk around. I walk out and compliment his F10 thinking there would be some kind of a camaraderie between us. Our exchange went something like this.
Guy-"Wish I could say the same about yours. I've destroyed a couple of those on the highway already."
Me-"(nervous laughter) Really? What mods do you have?" I am stupefied by now, almost in disbelief
Guy-"Its got a Vorsteiner exhaust, JB4 and intake. Probably good for 500 hp. Those new M5s are overhyped, they dont make anywhere near what BMW claims. You paid too much for that thing, bud. I can beat you for a fraction of the cost."
Me-"Is that so? That's impressive performance from a 6 cylinder." Taking out my pump and wondering how on earth the N55 got 500 hp with 3 mods
Me-"Thanks for the offer, but I've got to get going. Trying to get some lunch, but nice meeting you man, take care."
My questions are: Is this guy on 5post? Should I be remotely threatened by tuned 535i's? How on earth can a 535i destroy an M5? I know those N55s can be massively quick for relatively little money. My cousin said I should've taken him up on the offer, and now I'm actually curious. Any thoughts?
In my opinion, you were too polite in your replies to him. He was clearly just jealous of your M5. If he challenged me like that, I would've gladly decimated him on the road. I'm sorry but, I would've straight up told the guy that he's a moron as soon as he made the claim that he "destroyed" a couple of M5s on the road with his car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Lets consider the second scenario and give the engine enough latitude to assume it will hold up to the power. Lets say this was an AWD 535 with a tune, exhaust and a well engineered N2O setup. My guess is it would be quick off the line and build considerable power and torque throughout its RPM range. This would make 0-100mph a pure traction contest. A contest the M5 could loose?
A valid analysis I think. I'm not up on the drag race scene anymore, but from watching Pass Time on Speed, occasionally there are some amazing times turned by cars with nitrous and forced induction. Obviously they are focused drag cars, but driven on the street while able to turn low nines!! And this is from 5 liters or less in displacement. I'm not sure, but I don't think there are a range of drag suitable rear end gears available for the BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

wow he's a real d1ck. Doesn't even deserve the car he has.

Are you sure its a 535 and not a 550?

I have a JB4 tuned 535 and there is NO FREAKING WAY IT COULD COME CLOSE TO A M5 EVEN IT WAS MISSING ONE OF ITS TURBOS lol

Id say a tuned 550 would put up a good fight but still not be able to pull on a M5.

You should have raped him.

Alan
      01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
You should have told him he's full of shit and put down a $200 bet to prove it. Easy money. I doubt you would get a 535i owner to take more than a $200 bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
wow he's a real d1ck. Doesn't even deserve the car he has.

Are you sure its a 535 and not a 550?

I have a JB4 tuned 535 and there is NO FREAKING WAY IT COULD COME CLOSE TO A M5 EVEN IT WAS MISSING ONE OF ITS TURBOS lol

Id say a tuned 550 would put up a good fight but still not be able to pull on a M5.

You should have raped him.

Alan
I agree. A Dinan tuned 550i would be close in straight line speed. Even then if you have a highway with bends you would be golden because the M5 crushes the regular 5s in curves.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

That is an interesting exchange. I find it hard to believe someone would actually say that to a complete stranger at a gas station. Can you post some details about the car so we can identify the guy on 5post? It would be fun to haze him and see what he has to say for himself.

Btw, did he mention which high school he is supposed to be attending?
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd
That is an interesting exchange. I find it hard to believe someone would actually say that to a complete stranger at a gas station. Can you post some details about the car so we can identify the guy on 5post? It would be fun to haze him and see what he has to say for himself.

Btw, did he mention which high school he is supposed to be attending?
don't think he made it to high school since if he paid attention in math class, he would've figured out that he is still 60hp short!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Not buying the hype

I have to agree with everybody else on the calling BS and throwing this guy into the penalty for playing without a helmet. From personal experience, I went from a E60 M to a F10 535 and then my F10. In the time I had my 535, I went the mod route and so did a buddy of mine who still has his with the same mods. I have to call BS because my buddy did all this to his including some other mods (I question the JB4 because it still was not out for the 11/12 535 as of last month). He has not dyno'd his car but just broke into the high 13's with his at the strip (corrected for elevation would be 13.3 approx.) and I have to say his cars runs very well. But, after giving him a ride in my car, he said he wouldn't even waste his time.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. I found it hard to believe myself that someone would call me out of the blue like that. I have gotten nothing but compliments from a few other BMW enthusiasts, but I guess I came across an outlier. I am a non confrontational guy, so I didn't bother calling him out on whatever claims he had. Maybe he had something under his hood he wasn't disclosing that made him come across as over confident, but I have no clue what. I described his car exactly how it was above, if this person is on 5post, I'll gladly take you up on that offer in the future. But I thought it was borderline childish to insult my car like that and say "mine is better than yours"
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

those badges added 100hp ??
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread