07-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Another potential coolant problem - URGENT help required please

Hi guys.

So im off on a road trip on 4 days time and hence the urgency of this post

MY UK spec m5 recently developed a coolant leak which was repaired and picked up last Fri. Upon pick up everything seemed well...Fast forward 12 hours and by the following morning, I got a low coolant warning pop up

I then check the reservoir which is on the right hand side of my car is you look in from the bonnet (ie the one with no min/max markings) and this appeared dry. I then filled up with 1 litre of coolant, the warning light went away and went straight to BMW to see what was up

They told me that warning alert could have been caused by an air pocket within the system after the original leak was fixed and that I would need to cycle the system (this is how they described the bleeding process) by driving some more, checking the level, topping up if need be and then it should eventually stabilise as they air is removed...

For info, since the top up, I haven't had any more warnings but with this particular reservoir is difficult to see with the naked eye if the level of coolant is dropping or not.

Has anyone had any experience with this? If this all makes sense Im happy to do what BMW say, if not I have the option of dropping the car back with them and getting them then to do another pressure test to make sure its still not leaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I've had it happen. Took a flashlight to see the level after filling.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
I've had it happen. Took a flashlight to see the level after filling.
Yep Ive done the same but its still difficult to see if the level is dropping...I suppose what I am asking is whether the advice given to me from BMW seems correct

1) Ie is it possible that the warning came on because of an air pocker

and

2) Does the refill/bleed process: involve driving the car, topping up if need be and then repeat until the level of coolant does not move?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
Yep Ive done the same but its still difficult to see if the level is dropping...I suppose what I am asking is whether the advice given to me from BMW seems correct

1) Ie is it possible that the warning came on because of an air pocker

and

2) Does the refill/bleed process: involve driving the car, topping up if need be and then repeat until the level of coolant does not move?
Research bleeding/burping coolant systems.

But basically,

1) yes
and
2) yes

Although I have a coolant bleeding kit and had done it for my other cars, not the f10 m5 (havent needed to).
SSP Spec-R
KW V3/ Corsa Axle back
Appreciate 0