Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-07-2018, 03:05 AM   #1
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SMB M6 Convertible

Engine seized? Need some help!

Hey guys, unfortunately I believe my engine is Toast.

Driving on the freeway, sport settings, downshifted into second gear to roughly 6500 RPM, car is DCT. Car limped and engine shut off within 2 seconds. I was on a ramp and somehow managed to pull it aside on an high incline. Car had no signs of ticking or knocking, engine oil was changed 1 month ago, and I filled up the oil recently to max. I check the engine oil every week or so and it was at max. Had the car towed(disaster) as we couldn't get into it Neutral so we had to literally drag it on a flatbed(twice). After hours of roadside and towing, got it to my BMW mechanic, and he said the engine is most likely seized, with oil probably running extremely low. We checked for leaks, and I have a garage where there is 0 oil leak in my driveway. There were NO knocks, as I know these rod bearing issues and always kept an ear out for it. Went to 3 reputable BMW shops, and they told me it is 99% seized. It cranks with one tick and then just dies. No engine noise, battery charged. Can't be the starter because it happened at highway speed I'm assuming. Everyone is telling me the scenario that I need a new engine, complete swap, which I can't afford and don't want to do(due to resale difficulty). They all suggest not to rebuild, since it will cost a little less but more complicated and riskier.

Anyone have a similar experience? Car is completely stock, 50k Miles. I maintained the car well, did all fluid changes, pan changes, plug, ignitions, filters, all of the regular Maintenance.

I am really worried on dropping $15K+ on a USED Motor swap, as the car cost me roughly $<50K. Car ran totally fine, of course it was driven the way an M6 is meant to be, but not often.

Any input/advice and opinions would be appreciated, I'm really hoping for something less severe. Thanks for your time!

Got a potential deal for a complete motor swap for roughly $8500 with labor, motor has approx 30k miles. Is it worth just to rebuild it? Not looking to do anything past a tune and catless dp. Anyone think I just rebuild for the long run? Still trying to figure out how this happened, but requires a full tear apart which will run me 1-2k for labor alone. No knocking noise whatsoever for rod bearings . Anyone do a rebuild lately? Cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:06 AM   #2
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Seized? So sorry to hear. So how how much oil did you drain after it died? Maybe it was a faulty oil level sensor....? Any codes thrown?

Been following these build threads and its going to cost MUCH more to build out vs. Replace with another motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Didn’t try draining the oil or checking for metal yet. The sensor was always working for the time I had it. Every 1500-2k miles I would check the level for oil and I’d add a quart . Measure it few hours later and it’s say max, then check again 500 miles later and see it drops about a 1/4. I just did a fresh oil change, about 2k miles ago, checked oil 1k miles later, did same procedure . Seemed fine. Absolutely 0 codes, other than rear differential lock due to the tow truck dragging it. How much is an average rebuild? Maybe the engine was minimally damaged? We tried to turn the shaft with the tool both ways, it’s locked up.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Sorry for your luck bud. First off, when you crank the engine to try and start it, the engine turns over? If it does, it's not seized. Something let go in the motor and unfortunately the only way to know for sure is pull it apart. You can do some tests to point you in the right direction. Pull all of your plugs and inspect them. Leave the plugs out and see if you can do a leak down test. Then a compression test (will require you to spin the motor but not start it). Borascope needs to be done as well. Check the valve train as well. All these tests can and should be done before pulling the motor.

These non invasive tests will start pointing you in the right direction. GL bud!
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Sorry to hear, hopefully you can find what exactly happened.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately it does not turn over, when I push start it , it just gives a split second attempt then doesn’t do anything else . The starter attempts to but it fails.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

They tried to manually turn it over both ways with their tools, took them quite some time since it’s so tight below the engine, but tried both ways no luck, locked in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbk View Post

Driving on the freeway, sport settings, downshifted into second gear to roughly 6500 RPM, car is DCT. Car limped and engine shut off within 2 seconds. I was on a ramp and somehow managed to pull it aside on an high incline. Car had no signs of ticking or knocking, engine oil was changed 1 month ago, and I filled up the oil recently to max. I check the engine oil every week or so and it was at max. Had the car towed(disaster) as we couldn't get into it Neutral so we had to literally drag it on a flatbed(twice). After hours of roadside and towing, got it to my BMW mechanic, and he said the engine is most likely seized, with oil probably running extremely low. We checked for leaks, and I have a garage where there is 0 oil leak in my driveway. There were NO knocks, as I know these rod bearing issues and always kept an ear out for it. Went to 3 reputable BMW shops, and they told me it is 99% seized. It cranks with one tick and then just dies. No engine noise, battery charged. Can't be the starter because it happened at highway speed I'm assuming. Everyone is telling me the scenario that I need a new engine, complete swap, which I can't afford and don't want to do(due to resale difficulty). They all suggest not to rebuild, since it will cost a little less but more complicated and riskier.

Anyone have a similar experience? Car is completely stock, 50k Miles. I maintained the car well, did all fluid changes, pan changes, plug, ignitions, filters, all of the regular Maintenance.

I am really worried on dropping $15K+ on a USED Motor swap, as the car cost me roughly $<50K. Car ran totally fine, of course it was driven the way an M6 is meant to be, but not often.

Any input/advice and opinions would be appreciated, I'm really hoping for something less severe. Thanks for your time!

Got a potential deal for a complete motor swap for roughly $8500 with labor, motor has approx 30k miles. Is it worth just to rebuild it? Not looking to do anything past a tune and catless dp. Anyone think I just rebuild for the long run? Still trying to figure out how this happened, but requires a full tear apart which will run me 1-2k for labor alone. No knocking noise whatsoever for rod bearings . Anyone do a rebuild lately? Cost?

Which performance ECU tune did you use and which brand oil?
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

completely stock, no mods. Liqui-moly or mobil 1 5w-30.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I always said if it something like this happened to me, I would go full rebuild. If you intend to keep your car for a while, why not rebuild it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Sorry to hear.

What was the service history like? Was the break in service performed? Where did you buy the car?

I believe a rebuild might be better there is some shops in nyc area I believe a few members are getting their s63 engines built.

Btw is it just me but feels like a new thread
About a blown engine every other day now?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

By the way could this be a injector hydrolock? When you downshifted maybe it misfired and injector stuck open causing the motor to hydrolock?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #13
Tanin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear. Sounds like a spun bearing.

If you are "stock" and recently at the 50K mark I'd contact BMWNA and make a little noise. Worth a call.
      05-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #14
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We are seeing a large trend of blown engines....anyone guess on root cause?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

I’m interested. Mine blew last year and replaced by BMWNA. This happen within 24 hours of purchasing my car 29k
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #16
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Service history is fine, all detailed up until about 6 months before I bought it. I did all the maintenance after that, all of it, and I always stayed on top of the car as far as potential repairs. No matter how good it was "serviced", it could have been abused by the 2 previous owners to the max, it is an M6 after all. Not many people buy these cars to baby them, especially the first one being a lease. Yes I have an m6 and posted on the f10 forum due to there probably being 5x more F10 M5 owners than M6, and no one on the 6post gave me much feedback or experience. Spoke to my SA locally, will call BMWNA later today, I previously leased 7 years from them (2011 550I, 14 650I GC, Both paid top dollar due to pre ordering) . Maybe that will encourage them to be lenient with me, still a longshot.

As far as the injector, even if it did seize due to that, is it worth for me to pay all the labor to tear it open and still replace the motor with a used one? Appreciate your help guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #17
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Also upon the downshift, it made no noise or smoke whatsoever. I'd say it started limping 2 seconds after the downshift but once I shifted to 3rd gear about 1 second after that the rpm completely dropped to 0, locking my steering wheel almost completely as well. Popped the hood, no odd smell, nothing at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Oil leak and seized when out of oil, just coincidental with your downshift? They should drain and see how much came out, look for leaks. If hydro locked I think it can be cranked with all the spark plugs removed, at which point coolant would probably come out the holes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #19
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbk View Post

Buy a used engine and ship your car to BPC for an engine rebuild using stronger internals and also make more power

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365679
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Oil leak and seized when out of oil, just coincidental with your downshift? They should drain and see how much came out, look for leaks. If hydro locked I think it can be cranked with all the spark plugs removed, at which point coolant would probably come out the holes.

and if im able to crank it? Am I good to go as if nothing happened lol. I'll drain the oil in the morning. Im certain theres no leak, could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
danbk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve13m View Post
Buy a used engine and ship your car to BPC for an engine rebuild using stronger internals and also make more power

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365679
Im not looking to push more than 650-700 HP, simple tune and DP only. Maybe charcoal delete, better intakes. That's about it. Trying to really limit my budget on the repair/replace. If I bought the car new $140K then yea I would invest 20K easy into it, but seeing these cars are starting to go for $40-$50K, and now the new 8 series coming out to replace it, to only depreciate it more. Spoke to BMWNA, they said they'll only "look into it" if I take it to the dealer and do a full diagnosis, which could cost me $3k to tear apart with their ridiculous $180 Labor rate, and could still get assed out from a goodwill.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #22
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Next time drive a little more peacefully.
Appreciate 0