06-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
Stash21
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I have been using Shell 93 V-Power. However, I ran Sunoco 100 Octane unleaded in my GT-R for about 6 months so I could run a more aggressive tune all the time (I didn't daily drive it and probably only did about 3K miles in that time frame and it was available at the pump about 25 minutes from house). I am curious to see if there is any seat of the pants benefits to splashing some 100 octane.

BTW...Stash21 European's use a different rating method for gasoline. As the OP correctly points out he is referring to 91 and 93 octane as AKI (Anti Knock Index). AKI is just a mathematical average: (RON+MON)/2 or (Research Octane Number + Motor Octane Number)/2. For example, Tesco Momentum 99 Octane in GB would have a 99 RON rating (which is advertised) with an 87 MON rating (ignored). If that gas were sold in the U.S., it would have an AKI of 93 octane ((99 RON+87 MON)/2 = 93 AKI).
Thanks good to know. I wondered how the US octane numbers worked given 91/93 is below the manual recommends.
Appreciate 0