Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #1
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY10 F11 520d SE

Garage List
M5 30 JAHRE EDITION: plus M3, M4 and i8: BMW PGA CHAMPIONSHIP (UK)

So, I was luckily enough to win two tickets to the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth, Surrey, UK.

After picking up a colleague, we finally arrived at Wentworth some 4 hours later (it was a scheduled 2.5 hours drive but neither of us have a decent sense of direction and thought we knew better than the ProNav in my 5series (F11) - big mistake. On that note, not entirely sure the RTTI worked well as a number of roads were said to be closed but through our ignorance and arrogance did, on those occassions, prove ProNav to be wrong! ). Anyway, I digress.

On arrival, we were routed to the BMW Owners (free) car park. Thank you BMW UK. Nice touch.

A short walk up to the BMW Championship village and we were greeted by the new M2 and 220i. Asked by two lovely looking female BMW reps what we thought, I promptly responded that it was not very 'manly' [shoot me down now, but that is my honest opinion].

A short walk further on through the village, we stopped for a coffee and bacon roll (and I was promptly relieved of £20 of my children's inheritence - it was, however, the best darn bacon roll I have ever had and I consider myself something of a pig connoisseur). Brie was optional and I opted to leave it where it best belongs...out of my mouth(!).

We then spotted the new 'individual' range in a fantastic purple (sorry, not sure what the correct BMW colour reference for this is other than "wow"). This was a 330d.

Over yonder was the i8. Only one of three in the UK at present. And, at only £99875, a bargain too(!).

I started to wonder what I could get for £99875...as I did, I turned to my left and saw the M5 30 Jahre Edition (Jahre, by the way for those that do not know, means "years" in German). There she was. In full glory and frozen silver (a debate ensued with my colleague as to whether it was silver or space grey...I reckon silver [EDIT: now known to be Frozen Dark Silver Metallic]). The price tag was (IMO) similarly bargain priced for what is a limited edition (1/300)...£99,874 (I believe - just 1 less than the i8).

After drooling over the M5 30 Jahre for quite some time, we thought it only respectful to pay the M3 and M4 a brief visit. Still not sold on the M3 Yas Marina colour but it is certainly distinctive.

So, after some 2 hours wandering around the Championship village, oggling the cars, we finally turned our attention to what we actually came for...the golf!

A great day out and thank you again very much indeed to BMW UK for such a brilliantly organised event.

I only have £99,873 to go....

Here are some pictures from the event. I hope you enjoy

[I hope this link works...just realised I can only upload 10 at low res so trying alternative method - #newbie #firstpost!]

http://www.christopherdoddphotograph...tomobiles.html
[EDIT: 27/5/14: finally got embedded links to work now added plus link to website]

Last edited by CmdllbF11; 05-27-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
b5ka
Private
Rep
Drives: still debating

Thanks for 30 Jahre pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #3
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Nice write up and pictures. The i8 looks really nice! Need to dust off the old balaclava…...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
b5ka
Private
Rep

Btw. any interior pics of M5?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5ka
Btw. any interior pics of M5?
Stupidly no. To be honest, I sat in it and was in total awe. I didn't even get a shot of the edition number...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Nice write up and pictures. The i8 looks really nice! Need to dust off the old balaclava…...
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdllbF11 View Post
Stupidly no. To be honest, I sat in it and was in total awe. I didn't even get a shot of the edition number...
I believe each of the 300 is being given the same number (1/300) to stop people bickering and fighting over who gets the "cool" numbers, such as 007.

Also there's a "matt silver" option for the 30 Jahre, so I guess thats the colour you saw.

Right then. Lottery tickets...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
We then spotted the new 'individual' range in a fantastic purple (sorry, not sure what the correct BMW colour reference for this is other than "wow"). This was a 330d.
Looks like Techno Violet, but could be mistaken.

Quote:
In full glory and frozen silver (a debate ensued with my colleague as to whether it was silver or space grey...I reckon silver).
Marketing states it's Frozen Dark Silver, so you're probably both correct!

Great pics; thanks for posting. Where there any details available about the M2?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Great pictures thanks

The M3 certainly stands out....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Quote:
Looks like Techno Violet, but could be mistaken.

Quote:
In full glory and frozen silver (a debate ensued with my colleague as to whether it was silver or space grey...I reckon silver).
Marketing states it's Frozen Dark Silver, so you're probably both correct!

Great pics; thanks for posting. Where there any details available about the M2?
Thanks. I didn't pay too much attention to the M2, I'm afraid. It looked quite fun but isn't really my cup of tea TBH.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
CmdllbF11
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr
Great pictures thanks

The M3 certainly stands out....
Thanks. Yes, I have to admit its a stunning machine but I remain on the fence regarding the Yas Marina.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
b5ka
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
I believe each of the 300 is being given the same number (1/300) to stop people bickering and fighting over who gets the "cool" numbers, such as 007.

Also there's a "matt silver" option for the 30 Jahre, so I guess thats the colour you saw.

Right then. Lottery tickets...
Are you kidding? So after deliveries are done you think everybody will have 1/300 so they feel they are special?

as for color it's been said - official name is Frozen Dark Silver.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5ka View Post
Are you kidding? So after deliveries are done you think everybody will have 1/300 so they feel they are special?

as for color it's been said - official name is Frozen Dark Silver.
Frozen Dark Silver metallic to be precise :-)
Appreciate 2