Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Bad service experience at Budd's BMW, oakville, canada

Here is the story,

Yesterday morning, at about 9:45am, i went to Budds Bmw (in oakville, Ontario)to do two things:

1st: put a deposit for my third bmw, i had my cheque with me in my bag

2nd: do a regular service for my 2012 BMW m5.

I went to see the sells person first, he wasn't there, so i went to the serivce department.

After i talked to the service advisor to finish all the paper work, i was getting ready to get on the shuttle car to go home. Then, i heard someone is reving very loud in the parking lot, i was wondering:"who's reving whose car?" Later on i saw a young staff member drove my car, flied from one side of the parking lot to another, in a ridiculous speed. The parking lot was full of other cars from other customers. It was -5 degrees out side and my m5 was on summer tiers. Both the shuttle driver and i saw that and we were totally shocked. I went back to the dealer, spoke to my service advisor immediately, he promised me he will figure out who's the guy did that.

After i went back home, one of their service manger called me and apologized for everything that happened and promised me again to address the whole thing.

I went back to the dealer at 6:00pm to pick up my car, my service advisor and the service manager went home already, so i had to wait until today to hear a proper respond.

This morning, the general manager called me at 9:15am, told me that they figured out who was the guy drove my car yesterday.They said(which i quote): "he is one of our good employee, just too young and easy to get excited with fast cars". They talked to him and gave him a warning. He apologized again and promised me nothing like that gonna happen in the future. End of the story.

I've been doing service at budds for 4 years, with 2 of my bmw, (2009 750i and 2012 M5), to be honest, it wasn't bad experience at all. i was going to purchase my third bmw from them that day, but i think its never going to happen. I am not going buy any car nor doing any service from them , i just don't feel comfortable leaving my car there.

can anyone recommend a place for me to do service for my bmw near toronto area? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

well, St. Catherine would be your next closest. I don't think you want to drive all the way to BMW Toronto, but they do have a smaller service facility @ Queensway.

http://www.bmwetobicokeservice.ca/ab...urs-directions

As for your encounter, you should ask for Budd's to give you a brand new M6 GC so you can do the same
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
well, St. Catherine would be your next closest. I don't think you want to drive all the way to BMW Toronto, but they do have a smaller service facility @ Queensway.

http://www.bmwetobicokeservice.ca/ab...urs-directions

As for your encounter, you should ask for Budd's to give you a brand new M6 GC so you can do the same
Thanks, I don't mind drive all the way to Toronto, my office is in Toronto
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

kev,

what were you going to buy @ Budds?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
kev,

what were you going to buy @ Budds?
I was going to get m235i and tune it for track, right now I have a m5 and a 14 range rover autobiography
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

too many toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0412 View Post
I was going to get m235i and tune it for track, right now I have a m5 and a 14 range rover autobiography
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I wouldn't sweat it, especially if switching dealerships is a huge hassle. I'm gonna guess they'll never mess with your car like that.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savela
I wouldn't sweat it, especially if switching dealerships is a huge hassle. I'm gonna guess they'll never mess with your car like that.
Since they didn't do anything about it, other than apologized on phone, I can't trust them not messing up with it again
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

I hear ya and can't blame ya. If you have a good option, take it. It is a total violation of trust.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I understand how you feel and i also agree how ridiculous it is.
just to give contrast, but they apologise and at least tried to reach for you,
here. i must reach for BMW indonesia first to make them simply give me a 2 minute call.
      03-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0412
Quote:
Originally Posted by savela
Since they didn't do anything about it, other than apologized on phone, I can't trust them not messing up with it again
Sorry to hear of your experience, I'm with you I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my car there either

But what would you have liked them to do, or rectify the situation?

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^ tied the dealership car jockey up to the roof of a dealership loaner and let OP take it out on the highway for a few kms and let see how the bozo enjoys being driven fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Of all places you would think these guys who are exposed to "fast" cars would know #1 the dollar amount of these toys and #2 how they should be treated. I'm sorry, if the dealer operates like that, I would make it a point to shop elsewhere. I doubt it was the first time and certainly won't be the last. I would hate to see what they do on service test drives.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
^ tied the dealership car jockey up to the roof of a dealership loaner and let OP take it out on the highway for a few kms and let see how the bozo enjoys being driven fast.
Would hate to piss you off!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
Sorry to hear of your experience, I'm with you I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my car there either

its good that you bought it up, i was just thinking about it

Should this guy get fired?
Yes, he made three mistake that the dealer had 0 tolerance,
1: he's reving a customer's car without permission in a cold start,
2: he was driving a customer's car with a crazy speed,
3: he was driving a customer's car in a parking lot with ice, and there are another 20 customer's car and dealer's new car parked in the parking lot at the same time

These mistakes are pretty obvious and there are no excuses for these mistakes. If he didn't not get fired, it will give an image to the other employees that it is ok to do it. It will also give their customers an image that their stuff member will screw around with their cars and not getting any serious punishment. Technically, he should get fired.

Do i want this guy get fired?
No, the reason is simple, he's young, its not easy for young kids getting a proper job nowdays. i do not want to ruin his life.

What the dealership should do?
Budd's is a big auto group, they own a lot of dealers and they do have a lot of positions for their employees. They should reassign this guy to a position that he will not get a chance to touch customer's car.

Personally i do not own a dealer or worked at a dealer before, so i have no knowledge to educated them. These are just my opinions
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #16
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^ mind you, OP has summer tires on ... as you know, summer tires + icy parking lot + excessive speed = well, we all know the end result.

I agree, re-assign the clown to clean toilets, re-stock drinks & coffee at customer lounge and mop the floors.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #17
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
3: he was driving a customer's car in a parking lot with ice, and there are another 20 customer's car and dealer's new car parked in the parking lot at the same time
In all honesty, 1 & 2 probably happen more often than most of us dare/care to admit. I would put it down to chance that you happened to witness it this time (which can be more unpleasant then only suspecting mistreatment (say picking up car from service with excessive road test miles, slightly shredded tyres, etc.).

3 is a potential H&S issue and I'm sure the dealership would have reprimanded their employee accordingly. The dealership said they gave him a warning (written or verbal), so sounds as though they are following some form of disciplinary procedure (no idea what applies in Canada). Hopefully he'll learn from this mistake.

If you do change dealerships, it does not guarantee similar or worse will not reoccur. Only way any of us can assure ourselves this does not happen is to not let anyone else drive out cars; not the most practical option for most of us.

Hopefully on a more positive note, judging by the reviews, the M235i sounds like a fabulous drivers car - saw the 2 series at my dealership last week and they also looked great in real life - front end is more mini-3 series rather than 1 series. Is the M235i Racing not available in Canada?

Last edited by Dionysus; 03-19-2014 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #18
BMW0412
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Quote:
In all honesty, 1 & 2 probably happen more often than most of us dare/care to admit. I would put it down to chance that you happened to witness it this time (which can be more unpleasant then only suspecting mistreatment (say picking up car from service with excessive road test miles, slightly shredded tyres, etc.).

3 is a potential H&S issue and I'm sure the dealership would have reprimanded their employee accordingly. The dealership said they gave him a warning (written or verbal), so sounds as though they are following some form of disciplinary procedure (no idea what applies in Canada). Hopefully he'll learn from this mistake.

If you do change dealerships, it does not guarantee similar or worse will not reoccur. Only way any of us can assure ourselves this does not happen is to not let anyone else drive out cars; not the most practical option for most of us.

Hopefully on a more positive note, judging by the reviews, the M235i sounds like a fabulous drivers car - saw the 2 series at my dealership last week and they also looked great in real life - front end is more mini-3 series rather than 1 series. Is the M235i Racing not available in Canada?
Not sure about the racing part, I was leaning towards some aftermarket tuning, mostly for suspension, breaks etc
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Not sure about the racing part, I was leaning towards some aftermarket tuning, mostly for suspension, breaks etc
Perhaps a bit extreme, and a quote from the article below is "The firm's motorsport boss Jens Marquardt said: “The production models from the BMW M Performance Automobiles range are already incredibly sporty. Because of this, we did not have to make many modifications in order to get the BMW M235i Coupé up and running as a racing car".", so makes the standard car sound like VFM.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...acing-sale-49k
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

I have only dealt with BMW Toronto - Vince Capella. Great people and 1st class service every time. Let me know if you need an introduction.

Joe
      03-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #21
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post

Fire his ass, that's what. A valet at Fountain Blue WHIPED OUT my wife's X5 in an underground parking garage last year. The damage was amazing, to tell the truth. They talked her out of calling the police to file an accident report, but the kid was fired.

Interesting side note: a year later the valet at our condo wrecked her new X6 (god was she pissed). During repair I got to know the repair shop manager and it turns out their whole business is valet accidents and police cars. Our valets wreck some fine cars too, and the valet drivers are usually let go. Those people don't give a shit if they think we're not watching.
Appreciate 0