M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Let's talk POWER!!

Coming from a 997 Turbo and 135i as a daily, I've been able to extract solid gains with basic boltons.

I'd love to hear from current owners and experts as to what they think this car will yield with these mods, and what they think the DCT will handle for torque!

- Tune
- Downpipes and exhaust (I would only do DPs to extract some sounds and mostly power)
- Proper intercoolers be it water to air or air to air
- Methanol injection. Twin CM10s with a 75% meth mix would be nice octane boost and would prevent heat soak.

If the car car does 540whp and 520 wt on an average dyno, is 650/600 the reality and probably the limits of what the stock clutches can manage?

I'm sure the X5/X6 guys can chime in.

Thanks,

G

Any ideas on the limits of the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Coming from a 997 Turbo and 135i as a daily, I've been able to extract solid gains with basic boltons.

I'd love to hear from current owners and experts as to what they think this car will yield with these mods, and what they think the DCT will handle for torque!

- Tune
- Downpipes and exhaust (I would only do DPs to extract some sounds and mostly power)
- Proper intercoolers be it water to air or air to air
- Methanol injection. Twin CM10s with a 75% meth mix would be nice octane boost and would prevent heat soak.

If the car car does 540whp and 520 wt on an average dyno, is 650/600 the reality and probably the limits of what the stock clutches can manage?

I'm sure the X5/X6 guys can chime in.

Thanks,

G

Any ideas on the limits of the DCT?
The engine is different to the X5/X6M (see some info below)
The DCT transmission itself has a design limit of 700nm/516lbs-ft
The stock S63B44T0 has already an output of 680lbs-ft...
Over time there will be tuners offering various options but as it's already
been the case with the N54/N55s BMW has and will continue to come down hard on engine modifications when it comes to engine sw/turbos etc
So it will always be a gamble when it comes to warranty coverage and a S63B44T0 is
not a cheap part

There are a couple folks out there working on tunes such as G-Power, Mannhart, ACS, Hartge,Dinan and others.

15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
The engine is different to the X5/X6M (see some info below)
The DCT transmission itself has a design limit of 700nm/516lbs-ft
The stock S63B44T0 has already an output of 680lbs-ft...
Over time there will be tuners offering various options but as it's already
been the case with the N54/N55s BMW has and will continue to come down hard on engine modifications when it comes to engine sw/turbos etc
So it will always be a gamble when it comes to warranty coverage and a S63B44T0 is
not a cheap part

There are a couple folks out there working on tunes such as G-Power, Mannhart, ACS, Hartge,Dinan and others.
Thanks for chiming in.
680 Neuton Meters, not ftlbs. lol I wish 680!

Regarding warranty, when Dinan launches his package, you'll have a nice security blanket there. Might be more than most other setups but you get that safety net.

I can't imagine BMW designed the DCT so marginally. For the most part most S63s are dynoing more than 516 at the rear wheels which means it's beyond max from the showroom. Time will tell...

Again thanks for the input.

G
Appreciate 0