Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 BMW M5  [0.00]
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
Word of warning for my UK brothers

So I'm driving along the motorway (I won't name which one) and I look over at the other side of the motorway to see 3 separate cars pulled up by police, and I'm looking at this thinking it's quite odd, then about 3 marked police cars and 2 unmarked police cars are pulled up along the hard shoulder waiting... Then I see a roadworks van. Now I'm thinking wtf is going? I look in my rearview mirror and the Police are now using roadworks vans to hide their laser guns .
Typically the police would park one of their marked vans on a bridge above the motorway and then have police cars on the slip road ready to catch you but holy crap they are getting sneaky now.
If anyone was driving down the motorway you wouldn't take a second glance at a roadworks van, with men in high visibility suits pondering around and expect a police man with a laser gun hiding in the van. There wasn't even a speed camera sign (It's not the law to have one though). I just can't believe they would deceive the public like that, I know that speeding is wrong but they should atleast have some form of warning, even if it was just a marked police van I could justify it but a roadworks van?

Anyway, just a word of warning because it's so easy in these cars to get carried away without even noticing.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Blimey, many thanks for the heads up !

Now another rule of thumb for NSL roads - slow for:
1) Anything in the hard shoulder
2) Following cars
3) Bridges
4) Helicopters
5) Pay attention to Road Angel alerts

Did I miss anything?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Big brother is watching !
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Its worse in Oz - camera operators and police don't wear high vis (grean shirts on the camera operator, dark blue on the police), park well off the road, put green multi-nova cameras under bushes and generally hide - no signs required, whats worse is they will do this in the middle of no-where and on open, safe roads.

Lots of unmarked cars and they can use radar while moving and even heading towards you!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, HS

Garage List
Thanks for the heads-up!

Went for a driving trip up to the Peaks this week....for the first time I used the phone to run Cyclops. Clearly it's only as good as the knowledge it holds but it uses crowd updates to quickly log such underhanded behaviour! Surprised me, it shows how many local users of cyclops there are at any point in time....quite a few; I saw up to 14 "live" users....the more, the merrier, of course
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Are these increased speed checks only applied for villages, built-up urban and town areas?

Or do they now include major roads (e.g M6 road to Manchester)???
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

When I was back in the UK for a couple of weeks a month ago, we were in the Manchester area a lot plus up and down to London, Dorset, South and North Wales, we saw very few cameras or police etc - it was very pleasant to be sat on the M6, M5, M4, M40, M2, M54 and M1 at ~100mph and not stand out - in Oz 60mph is fast!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

When you see unmarked cars down here it could be a hijack. Most times is.

But then again...

Appreciate 0