M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Not happy with BMW and Akrapovic

So I have a friend that can get me 40% discount on an M performance exhaust from BMW so basically the Akropovic exhaust badged up as a M exhaust...

Wait for it.....Even with the discount its £4900!!!! what a bloody joke!.

I will not be buying this exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

it's a free market. With such a discount, there will be others who love to get that kind of discount.

To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So I have a friend that can get me 40% discount on an M performance exhaust from BMW so basically the Akropovic exhaust badged up as a M exhaust...

I thought it was Titanium, that is a full exhaust, so there is a significant weight loss there. I think the Akropovic sound is great but you need a down pipe replacement to really improve the sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru

Wait for it.....Even with the discount its 4900!!!! what a bloody joke!.

Are you not happy with the price or the product? Title is confusing.

Seems like a good deal to me.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

To each is his/her own

But for me, the M Performance Exhaust is a partnership between two powerhouse entities (BMW and Akrapovic) in the automotive world.

In the 'food chain', one obviously knows that it ranks higher compared to the Competition Package Exhaust as well as the basic stock exhaust muffler system

That and official manufacturer support (OEM) and no compromise on vehicle warranty.

And personally, an M5 is a high-end product so things such as cost, fuel economy and value for money are non-existent in my book. Simply put, I'm aware of the minimum price of admission for these kinds of cars and that you simply have to 'pay to play'. That's just how it is.

Otherwise, one should just stick with either a Toyota Corolla or VW Jetta......or if not, take public transport or walk if you want something more practical.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven
To each is his/her own

But for me, the M Performance Exhaust is a partnership between two powerhouse entities (BMW and Akrapovic) in the automotive world.

In the 'food chain', one obviously knows that it ranks higher compared to the Competition Package Exhaust as well as the basic stock exhaust muffler system

That and official manufacturer support (OEM) and no compromise on vehicle warranty.

And personally, an M5 is a high-end product so things such as cost, fuel economy and value for money are non-existent in my book. Simply put, I'm aware of the minimum price of admission for these kinds of cars and that you simply have to 'pay to play'. That's just how it is.

Otherwise, one should just stick with either a Toyota Corolla or VW Jetta......or if not, take public transport or walk if you want something more practical.
agree, the car is not exactly "cheap" to buy or run especially in the UK..

So why would you expect parts of this caliber (m performance/akra) to be any different, especially when the main dealers mark up is always a lot higher

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:

Let me guess - you're also the kind of guy that goes online and writes 1 star restaurant reviews for restaurants you haven't even eaten at yet? Because the menu is expensive?

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Are you not happy with the price or the product? Title is confusing.

Seems like a good deal to me.
I agree. This is a pointless post.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

I have a few points to clarify

The most important is that the m5 should not have come out of the factory sounding how it does and I'm sure most M5 owners will agree with this statement

and to clarify

I can't see how an akropovic can justify the price tag i.e....10% of value of the car when other things like eisenmanns are maybe not quite as good, but still good...and mores than half the price..

And what really annoys me...Is that BMW takes an off the shelf Akropovic system and adds £2000 to the price tag...Really??

Just because I own an M5 which is a high end car......that does not mean Im going to start throwing my money away where I think its not worth it...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
..that does not mean Im going to start throwing my money away where I think its not worth it...
I think Akra is worth it, and I don't demean anyone who feels otherwise.
      09-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

So let me get this right....im happy to put my hands in the air and admit that I am wrong if and when I see and hear an Kara in the flesh...

Lets forget the discount....

For me to purchase an M Power exhaust upgrade i.e. an Akra exhaust badged up as a BMW exhaust, granted I will have no warranty issues, its worth the best part of £10,000 because thats what it cost in the UK which translates to around $16,000?

That just seems like sooooo much money to me for an exhaust system??!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
So let me get this right....im happy to put my hands in the air and admit that I am wrong if and when I see and hear an Kara in the flesh...

For me to purchase an M Power exhaust upgrade i.e. an Akra exhaust badged up as a BMW exhaust, granted I will have no warranty issues, its worth the best part of £10,000 because thats what it cost in the UK which translates to around $16,000?

So, you haven't seen or heard the product you don't feel is worth the price?

Basic capitalism works on demand and supply. If BMW can charge extra for a product because it has the M Performance and warranty attached to it, then that's what they will do as long as they have the demand for the product. If they have over estimated the demand relative to the price, then they will either quit making the product or lower the price.

Over on the F8x boards there are plenty of posts on how expensive the Akra is, just like there was for the F10. But at the same time, we see a lot of F10's with Akra exhausts (and slowly we see F8x start coming as well). There seems to be a sufficient market for the high end exhaust systems. It's made of titanium, has EU noise aproval, and is top notch quality. Those things add to the price.

Just like people are willing to pay top dollars for brand name clothing (often with lower quality than supermarket brands), just because they want all that is associated with that brand, so are people willing to pay a premium to have one of the best exhaust system on their car and also to have either the Akra or M Performance brand name.

Don't see why you should be disappointed in BMW or Akrapovic in offering a aftermarket upgrade for a price? You can buy a MUCH cheaper exhaust and enjoy that. Others won't even consider anything else than the top notch brand...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:

The most important is that the m5 should not have come out of the factory sounding how it does and I'm sure most M5 owners will agree with this statement

and to clarify

I can't see how an akropovic can justify the price tag i.e....10% of value of the car when other things like eisenmanns are maybe not quite as good, but still good...and mores than half the price..

And what really annoys me...Is that BMW takes an off the shelf Akropovic system and adds £2000 to the price tag...Really??

Just because I own an M5 which is a high end car......that does not mean Im going to start throwing my money away where I think its not worth it...
You are comparing apples to oranges. As others have mentioned, it is a full (from the downpipe back) exhaust and it is fabricated in titanium. The Eisenmann exhaust is nearly as expensive when you add in their connector pipes...and that exhaust is made with much cheaper stainless steel. you might want to do your homework first before posting a rant.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:

Totally agree..... Even the sports exhaust that's a part of the CP sounds flat!

Quote:

I'm not sure why it costs so much. Maybe its a result of the materials used/R&D? Fact is the build quality is exceptional! Plus there is no drone in any gear/rpm! It also gives the M5 a very distinct sound past 3500 rpm.

Have you thought about getting it from an online retailer? getbmwparts.com has it at cost for $7,320.00 US with the 4 Titanium Tips. I know its expensive, but IMO well worth it! Here's a short video of what it sounds like during a cold start-up.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Sounds solid indeed! I've the E-Sport rear-section and can tell you that it also has a deep note and zero drone. Some day, I'll add the dp's and it might sound even meaner. Akra build quality looks top notch. With the E-Sport, my Dinan tech had to struggle a bit to center the tips in both wells. I didn't want to spend 8k on a full system but if I were to, Akra would have been my choice too. I'm hoping the next gen m5 comes fitted with a better sounding exhaust. It is a key component in owner satisfaction with an m car. Hearing the m4, I'm a bit shocked to see how many ppl are readily compromising with the poor exhaust note. Oh and plz bmw give the m4 an electronic parking brake :/ Here's hoping the Gxx M5 will be done better!!
      09-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Upgraded exhaust is mostly for aural and visual pleasure. 90% of M5 owners will never have a need for that kind of performance improvement nor will they benefit from it.

For me, although I love the sound of a 'quality' exhaust note, I would grow tired of it as this is my daily driver, as would my wife, neighbors and kids.

My 2 cents but BMW was wise to play it a bit conservative here and appeal to the 'masses'.

For those of you that have many rides and are willing to tune some of them to your liking, I applaud you because it what keeps me coming back here.

I think a fairer statement is that most M5 owners would agree that $5-$10k is about right to set your $100k ride apart from the crowd and extract the maximum from an already superlative whip.

It's all good.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:

Now...$16k??? Crazy talk.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #18
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

wow Im getting shot down here!!!

I was just saying when you do the conversion rate its the equivalent of $16k so for those of you in the states im just trying to show how much more expensive it is here in the UK

OK So I have heard its a great product and Im sure it is...For me personally, I just cant justify spending that kind of money.......

My intention was never ot upset anyone on here or to infact get shot down myself! just voicing an opinion.......

For everyone that says its a good buy etc etc...You obviously have more money than me lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
wow Im getting shot down here!!!

I was just saying when you do the conversion rate its the equivalent of $16k so for those of you in the states im just trying to show how much more expensive it is here in the UK

OK So I have heard its a great product and Im sure it is...For me personally, I just cant justify spending that kind of money.......

My intention was never ot upset anyone on here or to infact get shot down myself! just voicing an opinion.......

For everyone that says its a good buy etc etc...You obviously have more money than me lol!
I think that the title of your thread and the wording in the OP probably could have been phrased differently if you didn't want to be "shot down" or not wanted to upset anyone...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

I also agree that the factory exhaust is underwhelming. After all it is a high performance M-car.

If you want quiet you can get the regular 5 series. I am not asking for anything offensive just a little more aggressive.

A titanium exhaust is expensive and I will pass since I am leasing.

Just thought you needed a little moral support!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Now if you just bought an Rpi you would be smiling!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

If you're paying $100K+ for a high end sports/luxury car, the stock exhaust should blow you out of the box. In fact the exhaust should be valved and react to different sport settings/modes. That being said, you did test drive the car and purchased it with anemic sounding exhaust. $16K for aftermarket exhaust is very insulting though I concur.
Appreciate 0