M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

03-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

488 taken for Joyride

This exactly the kind of production I want to do but with my M5. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Freaking awesome! I gotta go for that 488 test drive. Have been resisting the sales man's invite
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Yeah man.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
Freaking awesome! I gotta go for that 488 test drive. Have been resisting the sales man's invite
I think at some point you need to pick one over the other....
Sound (458) or power (488).... I'll pick the third one... well the third is KING LOL
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:41 AM   #5
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Sound (458) or power (488).... I'll pick the third one... well the third is KING LOL
Or maybe pick the F12 TDF and get both?
      03-18-2016, 03:07 AM   #6
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Sound (458)? I'm not so sure about that. I always felt that the sound produced by 458s are way over-rated. The good sounding ones all have after market exhausts. I am no fan of the sound produced by mine. Stock to stock, Huracan or the new R8 V10 Plus sound a lot nicer. I won't even be surprised if I prefer the 488's note.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #7
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Test drove the 488 GTB today. I must say it's a lot more accomplished than I expected. It was probably prophetic of me to say I might like the exhaust note better. Indeed, the 488 entertains more than my Speciale in the aural department up till around 5k rpm. Strangely, the note is actually more high pitched than the low and boomy crap from my Speciale at low revs. Gone is the annoying exhaust flap opening/closing boom at around 3k rpm. The note doesn't develop into a high rev banshee like in the NA cars, so it's less dramatic aurally and probably gives people the impression that it's only marginally faster than the 458. That couldn't be further from the truth as the new motor is a real gem. I wasn't particularly interested in giving it the beans, but rather more on its delivery. The new motor has no lag to speak of. U have to be a really miserable person to go out looking for lag in this car. As many has said, it's the best Turbo motor the world has ever seen so far. I don't think there is another Turbo motor out there without an electric charger that could be more responsive. The response is instant when simply cruising along at 4th/5th gear and u actually get serious acceleration at those gears without needing to shift down a cog or two. The ride quality is miles better as well without needing to engage the bumpy road setting. The steering while taken from the Speciale, doesn't feel as darty and lively, but the difference is nothing that would leave u wanting. It's still a very responsive steer. The general handling feel doesn't detract much from the 458, but with more refinement. One thing I really like is that the more pronounced front wheel arch gives u better road feel and has the effect of making the car feel smaller with a shorter front overhang. U get a very good feel of where the 2 front corners are and definitely an improvement over the 458, not that it was ever lacking.

Interior design is a carry over from the boring Italias, so I definitely prefer the interior in my Speciale with all those carbon and race theme. Navigation and cruise control actually comes standard in the 488 so people can stop wasting $ speccing the useless navigation and not using it. I count as one of those idiots ordering those 2 options on my car. Looks is entirely subjective and I feel the 488 is country miles ahead of the Italia. I could never stand the Italia's rear end and the whole car looks rather feminine. The 488 is unashamedly macho and brash. That works just fine for me! I am impressed with this car and would love to own it, but probably not right away as I would like to buy a more daily usable car next before another exotic.

Verdict: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Test drove the 488 GTB today. I must say it's a lot more accomplished than I expected. It was probably prophetic of me to say I might like the exhaust note better. Indeed, the 488 entertains more than my Speciale in the aural department up till around 5k rpm. Strangely, the note is actually more high pitched than the low and boomy crap from my Speciale at low revs. Gone is the annoying exhaust flap opening/closing boom at around 3k rpm. The note doesn't develop into a high rev banshee like in the NA cars, so it's less dramatic aurally and probably gives people the impression that it's only marginally faster than the 458. That couldn't be further from the truth as the new motor is a real gem. I wasn't particularly interested in giving it the beans, but rather more on its delivery. The new motor has no lag to speak of. U have to be a really miserable person to go out looking for lag in this car. As many has said, it's the best Turbo motor the world has ever seen so far. I don't think there is another Turbo motor out there without an electric charger that could be more responsive. The response is instant when simply cruising along at 4th/5th gear and u actually get serious acceleration at those gears without needing to shift down a cog or two. The ride quality is miles better as well without needing to engage the bumpy road setting. The steering while taken from the Speciale, doesn't feel as darty and lively, but the difference is nothing that would leave u wanting. It's still a very responsive steer. The general handling feel doesn't detract much from the 458, but with more refinement. One thing I really like is that the more pronounced front wheel arch gives u better road feel and has the effect of making the car feel smaller with a shorter front overhang. U get a very good feel of where the 2 front corners are and definitely an improvement over the 458, not that it was ever lacking.

Interior design is a carry over from the boring Italias, so I definitely prefer the interior in my Speciale with all those carbon and race theme. Navigation and cruise control actually comes standard in the 488 so people can stop wasting $ speccing the useless navigation and not using it. I count as one of those idiots ordering those 2 options on my car. Looks is entirely subjective and I feel the 488 is country miles ahead of the Italia. I could never stand the Italia's rear end and the whole car looks rather feminine. The 488 is unashamedly macho and brash. That works just fine for me! I am impressed with this car and would love to own it, but probably not right away as I would like to buy a more daily usable car next before another exotic.

Verdict: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Thanks Brother for this... I'm going to wait on this car too for the market to put a few used ones out there. I really am leaning more towards the Mac environment based on pricing and true performance return.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #9
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Thanks Brother for this... I'm going to wait on this car too for the market to put a few used ones out there. I really am leaning more towards the Mac environment based on pricing and true performance return.
Yeah, same here too. With the exception of US, the rest of the world is bathing in economic gloom, so there is bound to be a bunch of lightly used Macs and Lambos to be had for a song in the coming year or two where I am. I am shortlisting the 650S as a more usable alternative. Apart from Ferraris, most other exotic owners tend to loose their pants (maybe even underwear) when they sell within the first couple of years. Great time to be hunting for bargains now
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Yeah, same here too. With the exception of US, the rest of the world is bathing in economic gloom, so there is bound to be a bunch of lightly used Macs and Lambos to be had for a song in the coming year or two where I am. I am shortlisting the 650S as a more usable alternative. Apart from Ferraris, most other exotic owners tend to loose their pants (maybe even underwear) when they sell within the first couple of years. Great time to be hunting for bargains now
650S are all over the US loaded for 240k USD sitting with 3k to 5k miles. They will keep dropping.
Appreciate 0