M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-06-2024, 10:52 AM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

We have faith in you, hubbahubba. You'll be back on your feet golfing with your buddies and visiting wineries with Mrs. Hubba before you know it.

Hang in there, my friend.
      02-06-2024, 10:53 AM   #24
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
^^^THIS is why you will recover and thrive. A positive attitude is so important to recovery.

Best of luck to you. You've got this!
Thank you. To quote the great Bob Bitchin- “The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude”. I’m just having a little adventure.
Appreciate 8
Esteban43748.00
3798j11413.50
sygazelle11416.00
Llarry15969.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
vreihen1615278.50
      02-06-2024, 11:08 AM   #25
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Bonne fête et prompt rétablissement
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8818.00
      02-06-2024, 12:33 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

HBD, HB

When you get better, have an electrician look at the spot on the deck . . .
hubbahubba8818.00
      02-06-2024, 01:09 PM   #27
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Happy belated birthday and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. With your attitude and zest for life I have great confidence in your outcome.

On a slightly different subject. As our resident Oenologist and Sommelier, do you have any recommended wine pairings with hospital food? I have a stay coming up in the near future.
cmyx6go15761.00
      02-06-2024, 07:00 PM   #28
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
Happy belated birthday and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. With your attitude and zest for life I have great confidence in your outcome.

On a slightly different subject. As our resident Oenologist and Sommelier, do you have any recommended wine pairings with hospital food? I have a stay coming up in the near future.
Thank you for the kind words!

Although the food here is not too shabby for a hospital, looking at the same menu for two weeks is getting pretty old. If I wasn’t so hungry, I would’ve scrolled through DoorDash to find something I thought would be really nice, but my belly said I was out of time. I just ordered a sandwich from the hospital. Ham, turkey, bacon and avocado. I would say it will pair very well with a nice box or jug of red wine, although I chose lemon lime Gatorade and water.😀

Wishing you the best on your procedure! How long are you going to be in?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
JJ 911SC22420.00
vreihen1615278.50
Esteban43748.00
RickFLM410981.00
      02-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Although the food here is not too shabby for a hospital, looking at the same menu for two weeks is getting pretty old. If I wasn’t so hungry, I would’ve scrolled through DoorDash to find something I thought would be really nice, but my belly said I was out of time. I just ordered a sandwich from the hospital. Ham, turkey, bacon and avocado. I would say it will pair very well with a nice box or jug of red wine, although I chose lemon lime Gatorade and water.😀
When hospitalized several years ago (traffic accident - broke some stuff) hospital staff kindly queried if I had any food preferences (standard procedure). I replied: "All OK, no exceptions but it would be nice if you could arrange for doubling the dessert". And so all meal stickers during my hospital stay indicated dessert × 2. My beloved wife wasn't surprised when she found out.

Speaking for myself: in general, nurses took extra good care of me, walking the extra mile with a smile and kind words (including sometimes strictly private conversations), day and night. Noticed that on many occasions throughout my hospital stay.

Genuine respect and a positive mindset about the vulnerable situation can help making your stay more comfortable, hubbahubba.
Lady Jane70861.50
      02-06-2024, 09:11 PM   #30
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Artemis Thanks for the pro tip on the dessert! Surely will come in handy.

I have been in ICU for 24 nursing shifts. I can honestly say that the care I received during 23 of those shifts has been worthy of 10 stars. Nurse Ratchet was an outlier in my sample, and didn’t fit with the kindness I experienced on every other shift. I believe kindness is a good thing to practice whenever I can, with whoever I happen to be with. Nurses included, of course. (Lady Jane ) Usually returned at least in kind or better. After this I have a whole new respect for nurses. Amazing humans!!!

You bring up a great point about respect for the situation, and duly noted. Thank you!
Appreciate 5
Artemis29417.50
vreihen1615278.50
Lady Jane70861.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      02-07-2024, 12:07 AM   #31
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Oh, damn! Happy belated bday, sir! Glad the procesures went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Makes me nervous for all those sparring incidents from my impetuous past. After all, why spar in your own weight class when you can spar 30-60lbs higher?
      02-07-2024, 12:11 AM   #32
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Oh, damn! Happy belated bday, sir! Glad the procesures went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Makes me nervous for all those sparring incidents from my impetuous past. After all, why spar in your own weight class when you can spar 30-60lbs higher?
Thank you for the good words, I appreciate that!

Yes! Please take note of anything funny that you feel may be related to something that you remember from your past specifically. I don’t know what I could’ve done differently, but you never know. Take care of yourself and those you love.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:03 AM   #33
Roman
Private
Rep
Drives: GMC / Ford

Feel better, sooner rather than later. Care package on the way!

Appreciate 3
hubbahubba8818.00
Esteban43748.00
      02-07-2024, 06:19 AM   #34
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
When hospitalized several years ago (traffic accident - broke some stuff) hospital staff kindly queried if I had any food preferences (standard procedure). I replied: "All OK, no exceptions but it would be nice if you could arrange for doubling the dessert". And so all meal stickers during my hospital stay indicated dessert × 2. My beloved wife wasn't surprised when she found out.
During my last hospital stay, they asked me about my food preferences. I told them that I wanted steamed vegetables for breakfast, and absolutely despised eggs in any form to the point of barfing on the spot if I even smelled them. Not only could they not provide veggies for breakfast, but they would substitute eggs every morning and *destroy* my entire breakfast tray as I refused it on the spot and made them remove it from my sight and smell area.

It wasn't all bad, though. The dietary computer made a mistake one day, and opened up the entire breakfast menu for me to order from. The irony of ordering double bacon while in the cardiac unit because they couldn't bring me steamed vegetables for breakfast still makes me chuckle even today. (I gave it to my DW, who spent the night at the hospital with me.)

A secret in all of our area hospitals is that each floor's nursing station has a refrigerator stocked with "emergency" food/beverage items like turkey sandwiches, juices, ginger ale, etc. All that you need to do is ask for the stuff. Let me tell you, a soggy turkey sandwich and can of ginger ale never tasted so good after another night of NPO and waiting all morning for a test/procedure that required it.....
UncleWede18026.50
      02-07-2024, 09:34 AM   #35
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words!

Although the food here is not too shabby for a hospital, looking at the same menu for two weeks is getting pretty old. If I wasn’t so hungry, I would’ve scrolled through DoorDash to find something I thought would be really nice, but my belly said I was out of time. I just ordered a sandwich from the hospital. Ham, turkey, bacon and avocado. I would say it will pair very well with a nice box or jug of red wine, although I chose lemon lime Gatorade and water.��

Wishing you the best on your procedure! How long are you going to be in?
I hesitate to even say this after hearing of your ordeal. You are a warrior sir. They tell me 1 or 2 days for a stent insertion and general coronary tune up. No biggie. From my past stays I would say that the menus tend to run to the light side. Mostly veggies with lots of Jello, pudding, and saltines. Meat if served always seems to be skinless chicken or ham. Julia, if she were still with us would not approve. So given the lack of a substantive meat course I think I would rule out a hearty red. I do however have a fondness for, and a good supply of white Burgundies so I think perhaps a Macon-Fuisse, or Saint-Veran. Thoughts?
      02-07-2024, 09:49 AM   #36
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I hesitate to even say this after hearing of your ordeal. You are a warrior sir. They tell me 1 or 2 days for a stent insertion and general coronary tune up. No biggie. From my past stays I would say that the menus tend to run to the light side. Mostly veggies with lots of Jello, pudding, and saltines. Meat if served always seems to be skinless chicken or ham. Julia, if she were still with us would not approve. So given the lack of a substantive meat course I think I would rule out a hearty red. I do however have a fondness for, and a good supply of white Burgundies so I think perhaps a Macon-Fuisse, or Saint-Veran. Thoughts?
Even a couple days in the hospital does not strike my fancy, or anybody’s, I’m sure. I wish you the best for your tune up!
Your logic on the red/substantive meat makes perfect sense, you are on to something with the white burgundies!
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50
      02-07-2024, 09:49 AM   #37
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
After a while you get to know your patients. During evening shifts, you usually have more time to spend with them and just chit-chat about this and that and what can we do to make their stay more comfortable. And that often included food.
Hospitalization is often associated with bad times. Not in my book, personally I had a nice time, exiting in better shape than when I entered as "poly trauma" (traffic accident). A positive mindset, doctors and nurses were instrumental in this.

My litmus test: each time yet another nurse had to administer an injection or to replace a cannula or IV lines, closely observe the level of care/caution in preparing and administering (the ticking on a vial or syringe, replacement of an IV bag, the way they gently take or rather grab your arm whilst saying "it won't hurt", the pinching of the needle and administering time, the "et voilà" possibly accompanied by a smile once the needle has been removed, etc.). Even when they're doing this routine action for the zillionth time, it may give you a quick glance of how dedicated and professionally skilled the nurse is, but often also may offer to some extent a silhouette or indication of how they are as a person and what they think about patients.
2000cs3502.50
hubbahubba8818.00
Llarry15969.50
      02-07-2024, 10:08 AM   #38
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
One thing you should appreciate, is that hospital kitchens are nothing more than an assembly line. What you see is what you get for that day with the exception of special diets ordered by the dietitian.
Exception is made for the department of palliative care - the corridors of imminent death: quite understandably most last requests are granted. Even if a patient suddenly asks for a glass of champagne (seen it happening).
Llarry15969.50
Lady Jane70861.50
      02-08-2024, 05:47 AM   #39
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

How did I miss seeing this thread for 3 days??

hubbahubba happy belated birthday and best wishes for your recovery. I have no doubt you will conquer your recovery and get through the process stronger than ever. Looking forward to hearing of your discharge from the hospital!
hubbahubba8818.00
      02-08-2024, 06:32 AM   #40
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
How did I miss seeing this thread for 3 days??

hubbahubba happy belated birthday and best wishes for your recovery. I have no doubt you will conquer your recovery and get through the process stronger than ever. Looking forward to hearing of your discharge from the hospital!
Thanks Rick. Your timing is impeccable. Technically, Although still in the same building, last night I was released from the hospital and admitted to the acute rehab center. One more step in the road home. I will be here at least 2 weeks. They’re going to work me hard, and I’m ready. Here is today’s schedule.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
RickFLM410981.00
Llarry15969.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
Esteban43748.00
vreihen1615278.50
      02-08-2024, 07:06 AM   #41
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Although still in the same building, last night I was released from the hospital and admitted to the acute rehab center. One more step in the road home. I will be here at least 2 weeks. They’re going to work me hard, and I’m ready. Here is today’s schedule.
Great news! In particular, taking a shower should be heavenly after being cooped up in the ICU. Congratulations and ever onward and upward!
      02-08-2024, 07:20 AM   #42
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Great news! In particular, taking a shower should be heavenly after being cooped up in the ICU. Congratulations and ever onward and upward!
You said it brother! I can’t wait for that shower!!!
Appreciate 3
Llarry15969.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
Esteban43748.00
      02-08-2024, 11:22 AM   #43
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Best of luck in rehab, Hubba. Hope for a speedy recovery.

I was in the hospital with pancreatitis and double pneumonia for 11 days in 2009. Almost died. When I started getting better I couldn't wait to get discharged. Told my doctor if he didn't discharge me I was leaving without his consent. Needless to say he gave it. Doesn't look good on a doctor if a patient leaves on his own accord. Didn't take a shower the whole time I was there and when I got home that's the first thing I did. Felt so good so I can relate to how you feel.

PS - my doctor was angry with me and told me that I would be back in the hospital. He was wrong, I never went back. He was a shitty doctor and I dropped him and got a new doctor soon after that. Been with my current one for ~15 years. I will add that everybody else at the hospital was great; the nurses, respiratory therapists, etc. all were perfect.

Last edited by Esteban; 02-08-2024 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8818.00
      02-08-2024, 01:33 PM   #44
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AND, you are going to be assisted by someone named Megan. Now I'm jealous.