M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

03-20-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Anyone here driven the E63 AMG S-Model?

curious as to thoughts. Seems to review very well...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Yeah except for looking that hideous - But 3.2 and 11.5 are some serious numbers I agree and I am.sure good steering with horrible command -
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Ive driven it, owned 3 other M157 engines. The car is strong in both acceleration and sound. The transmission is weak via paddle shifters but the S+ mode is fine and every M157 Ive owned had a tune and with this tune the car shifts better and the throttle is awesome. I obviously drove a stock one but the 577hp is very prevalent along with the 590 lb/ft of tq. Good car.

Looks are subjective but the front needs some acquiring. I drove this exact car a few weeks back and its actually not bad in person. Boy does it sound good and I love the way the car roars from a launch. I always felt the F10 and F13 (owned both) cars lacked sound and this car kills it in that category.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Ive driven it, owned 3 other M157 engines. The car is strong in both acceleration and sound. The transmission is weak via paddle shifters but the S+ mode is fine and every M157 Ive owned had a tune and with this tune the car shifts better and the throttle is awesome. I obviously drove a stock one but the 577hp is very prevalent along with the 590 lb/ft of tq. Good car.

Looks are subjective but the front needs some acquiring. I drove this exact car a few weeks back and its actually not bad in person. Boy does it sound good and I love the way the car roars from a launch. I always felt the F10 and F13 (owned both) cars lacked sound and this car kills it in that category.

Is the cheque book being called into action?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:

We know that the E63 will run away from the M5 from a dig, but how about from a roll? Does it really feel that much faster?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
We know that the E63 will run away from the M5 from a dig, but how about from a roll? Does it really feel that much faster?
The m5 has the DCT and from a roll its formidable to say the least. Its a drivers race based on who gets a jump but all conditions equal the M5 is faster IMHO from a roll as shown above. The dig is a no brainer; mash a go and you are hero in the E63S. Mash the M5 and you will have wheel spin and get crushed.

Its all about what you want in a driver IMHO. I have two RWD cars, both Benzes and then the Audi and Pcar... best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn
Quote:

There is no sedan on the market which will pull away from an M5 on a roll.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
The m5 has the DCT and from a roll its formidable to say the least. Its a drivers race based on who gets a jump but all conditions equal the M5 is faster IMHO from a roll as shown above. The dig is a no brainer; mash a go and you are hero in the E63S. Mash the M5 and you will have wheel spin and get crushed.

Its all about what you want in a driver IMHO. I have two RWD cars, both Benzes and then the Audi and Pcar... best of both worlds.
Thanks for that. I am beginning to think that from a roll there is nothing faster than the M5 in its price range. Maybe a newer GT-R but that's about it. Love that underrated power.

As a follow-up, slightly off-topic, but once my son finishes high school in two years I won't need the back seat anymore and the Turbo S looks very appealing (though I may keep the M5 too). Since you have one - two questions: 1 - How much faster is it from a roll than the M5 (no need to answer from a dig, I know - it's Veyron fast) and 2 - is the ride quality harsh in comparison? I am spoiled by the compliant ride of the M5. I test drove a 997 Turbo a while ago and it felt fairly stiff.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

can't believe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend View Post
Somehow hard to believe with AMGS 11.5 sec quarter mile!!
What am I missing...hard pull expected but then quick catch up like this!! By the M5 doubt it
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Somehow hard to believe with AMGS 11.5 sec quarter mile!!
What am I missing...hard pull expected but then quick catch up like this!! By the M5 doubt it
I believe it... the car launches incredibly even with its fixed tq split. Wait till the tuners get this one down; you will see 10's all day. Currently there is a tq issue on the AWD cars that tuners are working around.

On non AWD cars- these cars are trapping (locally) at 130-131 with mixed fuel (91 and 100) and tune only. The MCT Tranny can easily handle the stupid gobs of tq. I just wish the front end was better
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
I believe it... the car launches incredibly even with its fixed tq split. Wait till the tuners get this one down; you will see 10's all day. Currently there is a tq issue on the AWD cars that tuners are working around.

On non AWD cars- these cars are trapping (locally) at 130-131 with mixed fuel (91 and 100) and tune only. The MCT Tranny can easily handle the stupid gobs of tq. I just wish the front end was better
In the ROW Vic you can order the AMG versions with the normal E class front end. Looks much better IMHO, but I don't think we have that option on even an ordered car here in the US.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
In the ROW Vic you can order the AMG versions with the normal E class front end. Looks much better IMHO, but I don't think we have that option on even an ordered car here in the US.
Bish
True- we are stuck with the wide mouth LOL

I guess that "night styling package" helps a little

I was a fan of my old E63 with this mouth:

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn
Quote:

I went up against one the other day from a roll and pulled up to 1-1.5 car lengths each run we did
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:

What's Mercedes Benz take on tuning? Are they looking the other way or are they voiding power train warranty?
On my ZL1 which is so easy to gain 100+ horses with tune/pulley has Chevy voiding power train warranty if tuned.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:

loved this one with the big star ...probably was the best looking E63 all around !
IMHO
Almost purchased it before M5. But lack of HUD was a deal breaker and MCT too though I don't use shifters often and this where DCT really shines!!
Pano roof was awesome in the E63 and the sound drama of course!
I hate it when I look in my rear mirror and nobody hear me but me -
LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #17
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisaksen View Post
I went up against one the other day from a roll and pulled up to 1-1.5 car lengths each run we did
Music to my ears
Hope that is not an "Urban legend" too -
Just teasing ya
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
Tisaksen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisaksen View Post
Music to my ears
Hope that is not an "Urban legend" too -
Just teasing ya
If i had video id post it. Gotta keep my gopro on me for future encounters! Haha
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #19
NickRac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post

loved this one with the big star ...probably was the best looking E63 all around !
IMHO
Almost purchased it before M5. But lack of HUD was a deal breaker and MCT too though I don't use shifters often and this where DCT really shines!!
Pano roof was awesome in the E63 and the sound drama of course!
I hate it when I look in my rear mirror and nobody hear me but me -
LOL
That does look very good. Much better actually.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #20
BIG~BLUE~BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR,F10 M5

Yea the trans is Wut kills me on the amg. My car never leaves manual mode. I'm not a big paddle shifter. Only on the back roads and canyon driven
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #21
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG~BLUE~BMW View Post
Yea the trans is Wut kills me on the amg. My car never leaves manual mode. I'm not a big paddle shifter. Only on the back roads and canyon driven
The fact that Honda or Acura if you will -
Is going to use 8 speed DCT!!! In their next TX 2015?
Should shame Audi and MB for still using ZF and NC respectively in their top dogs (I know because of Tque and all, but there must be a solution? !!! )
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #22
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:

Looks so much better than the current version of the front end Vic. Great taste as always.
Bish
Appreciate 0