M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Carbotech XP8s

Hey guys. I had Carbotech XP8 compound pads put on the front brakes last week.

Today is the first day I've spent a lot of time with the windows down and I notice a rattle on bump or broken pavement impacts. I'm expect this is just the result of the floating brake design of the M5 combined with these pads.

I haven't seen any impact mars on the discs after checking and I've checked torque on the wheels to ensure it isn't a loose lug.

Grabbing the calipers and trying to shake them doesn't provide any meaningful give.

Any thoughts or affirmations around it just being the floating rotor design combined with the pads making the noise?

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #2
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

So thanks for all the looks...

It is just the pads being noisy as they have some tolerance gap for heat expansion. Once 'hot' they are not noisy. Just the reality of a more track oriented pad.

Otherwise, braking is really good with them and they are far cheaper alternative to the stock pads. I haven't seen much brake dust with them but they are certainly not dust free (nor were they advertised to be).

For the price, I am happy with them so far, but still at less than 500 miles of use.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Glad you were able to figure out the problem. I have been using Carbotech pads for years and have always had good results with them. I do recommend the "low dust" pads for street driven M's.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Now that I have some miles on them, they don't squeal nearly as often. Limo driving for an extended period will still bring it out though.

I would say the dust is no worse than stock with the XP8s.
Appreciate 0