M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-15-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Per my last post, I’m a bit in the mud here trying to figure out what I should do

Per forum members and personal people I know have all said that the stage 2 ACN91 compared to the normal 91 BM3 OTS is much slower, from my understanding boost targets are similar but it’s mainly timing.

I don’t really see the point in tuning my car if I’m gonna be as fast as the stock tune, so I want to make the switch to the normal
91 stage 2

My issue is I live in California and our 91 is known to be garbage. I always pump at chevron but still the gas is known to be mediocre.

I want to see if I can run the stage 2 91 and maybe pump a few gals of e85 to get the octane up. I don’t know much of how our cars run on e85, injectors fuel pumps etc, but I can’t imagine a few gallons hurting anything.

Either that or I run meth to up the octane and keep everything cool. I don’t know which method is not only better but safer for the engine.

Wanted to see what y’all think what would be the best route, for longevity and performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:17 AM   #2
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP, 2019 X5 40i

Meth makes a huge difference. You can run the 91 or possibly more aggressive tunes with WMI. I use 50/50 water meth and see almost no timing corrections. Also the intake air temps are always cool so it feels more consistent and doesn’t get heat soaked nearly as much. It’s like it’s always a cold morning. Also helps keep carbon buildup at bay.
E85 is amazing. You can run about 30% without any custom tuning. I’ve used it on stage 1 and 2 91 oct tunes with great results. Still it’s all about data logging to confirm fuel trims and timing corrections are safe.
Boostane octane booster is another option I’ve used successfully. It’s a little bit of a pain to carry around with you and add at fill ups but it definitely works.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Meth makes a huge difference. You can run the 91 or possibly more aggressive tunes with WMI. I use 50/50 water meth and see almost no timing corrections. Also the intake air temps are always cool so it feels more consistent and doesn’t get heat soaked nearly as much. It’s like it’s always a cold morning. Also helps keep carbon buildup at bay.
E85 is amazing. You can run about 30% without any custom tuning. I’ve used it on stage 1 and 2 91 oct tunes with great results. Still it’s all about data logging to confirm fuel trims and timing corrections are safe.
Boostane octane booster is another option I’ve used successfully. It’s a little bit of a pain to carry around with you and add at fill ups but it definitely works.
Yeah definitely, I think meth is the longer term decision but for now I wanted something quick thats why I was thinking of adding e85 into the mix to run the higher octane tunes.

Are you from california? Just asking to see if you were dealing with the garbage 91 as I have been lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #4
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstm5 View Post
Yeah definitely, I think meth is the longer term decision but for now I wanted something quick thats why I was thinking of adding e85 into the mix to run the higher octane tunes.

Are you from california? Just asking to see if you were dealing with the garbage 91 as I have been lol
Yeah I’m in nor cal so I have the same crap gas your dealing with.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 03:01 AM   #5
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just came back from doing a couple of logs, one of a 60-130 pull and then another of a 4th gear to redline pull,

You were speaking of almost no timing corrections in your previous post with the WMI, it's crazy how even on the ACN tune, i'm noticing a bit of timing corrections. Going to make another thread with the logs to get some reviews on the Engine/Modif section.
Appreciate 0