M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #419
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Thank you, we are staying in Naples so Tampa may be a stretch. Lots of cycling group rides in Naples and Feb-April is fantastic weather. As a Navy vet I do the Miracle of the Limbs ride every year. Lots of vets who have lost limbs ride and it is so awesome to see these guys riding and then hang with them after the ride for a few brews. They are my hero"s.
Worth while ride in deed. Those guys pushing past their limitations are so inspiring.

If you get tired riding the flat, there are some hills here in San Antonio area. There are regular group rides on Wed, Sat and Sunday mornings.

Enjoy your time down here!
      01-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #420
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I can actually ride in Northern De into Pa and get some good hill work. I do lots of hill riding in the George Hincapie Grand Fondo in No. Carolina. One climb is 8 miles with an 8-10% grade. Brutal.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #421
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

thoughts on derosa? i am eying this bike. seems like a good setup. jsut hesitant on the price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod148153
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #422
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
There's always SRM $$$

In all seriousness, anecdotally the SRM, Quarq, and PowerTap devices are the least problematic of all devices I hear about. Ironically, as Tonka has pointed out, the one device I would have trepidation trying would be the Garmin vectors, I'm not too fond of the design. In all fairness, that's the main reason I wouldn't choose them, plus I hear the calibration process is cumbersome. However, I wouldn't hesitate to try the 4ii, Power Tap, Power2Max, and Pioneer systems. I personally (and luckily?) have used Stages with great reliability and durability, despite what others have found.
Stages user here since 2013, no issues what so ever. It's the only item that has traveled from my past 3 bikes.

Last edited by itrsteve; 01-19-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #423
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrsteve View Post
Stages user here since 2013, no issues what so ever. It's the only item that has traveled from my past 3 bikes.
Yeah, the one I currently use has been with me since 2014 on various bikes. I've had first gen and second gen that have worked out for me.
      01-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #424
itrsteve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Yeah, the one I currently use has been with me since 2014 on various bikes. I've had first gen and second gen that have worked out for me.
Actually, I take back my statement. I did get a replacement arm as I was having odd battery draining issues and they sent me a brand new second generation unit nearly a year after my warranty expired. The support team is awesome and they stand by their stuff. The second generation unit has been flawless.
      01-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #425
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
thoughts on derosa? i am eying this bike. seems like a good setup. jsut hesitant on the price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod148153
I like De Rosa bikes. Looked at the Idol and SK before deciding on the F8. One of the fastest guys i know has been riding De Rosa for years.

I know, not very helpful. Sorry.
      01-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #426
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Granted it's a short season for Tom Boonen, but this is pretty significant.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boon...roughout-2017/
      01-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #427
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Granted it's a short season for Tom Boonen, but this is pretty significant.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boon...roughout-2017/
You think bigger then electronic gear change ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #428
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You know, that's an interesting question, for me it's hard to compare because I feel like electronic is more of an enhancement of existing drivetrains whereas disc versus rim brake is a fundamental change in systems. I'm surprised at how slowly road disc has been adopted on the consumer side but I think a really iconic pro endorsing it could be a pivot point now that the UCI has allowed them again. I'm not silly enough to think Specialized may have influenced this from a marketing perspective, but I really do think someone like Tom Boonen could be a big influence for a lot of enthusiasts (who are racing geeks especially).
      01-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #429
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3, 2015 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
For most people, maybe not. If you ride in the rain a lot, ride where there are 3000' descents with tight corners, are a big rider or a tandem where speeds of 50mph +, then yes, it will be a bigger change.

I have a ride this summer with nearly 6000' of descent in 25 miles and I will be on a tandem. No way rim brakes can control our speed with miles and miles at 7%.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy di2, but I don't pick that bike over the one with SRAM red because of the shifting.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #430
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

That was my consternation with the F8. I was trying to talk myself into a disc frame which would have meant a change in wheels and shift levers as well, which i was willing to do from a cost stand point. But living in FL it just isn't a logical choice. The added cost and weight were not worth the performance upgrade. As mentioned above, if i lived in the PNW and regularly rode in the wet on hills, or had a cross bike, it would be an easy choice. But i don't have a problem stopping in the wet, even with carbon wheels.
      01-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #431
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
That was my consternation with the F8. I was trying to talk myself into a disc frame which would have meant a change in wheels and shift levers as well, which i was willing to do from a cost stand point. But living in FL it just isn't a logical choice. The added cost and weight were not worth the performance upgrade. As mentioned above, if i lived in the PNW and regularly rode in the wet on hills, or had a cross bike, it would be an easy choice. But i don't have a problem stopping in the wet, even with carbon wheels.
I ride in flat Delaware and bring my bike to flat Florida for 2 months to ride. I have to go to other states for hills to climb. My set up works for me. CF Trek Domane, Di2, carbon wheels, standard brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #432
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

The Belgian *Wout Van Aert* is the new 2017 world champion cyclo-cross .

Belgium rules again in the mud ...!
=> http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone...enWK/1.2878344

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      01-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #433
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Awesome victory. Congratulations to your countryman. What a tough race. I am starting to become an autocross fan.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #434
Rayscott
Major
Rep

I was watching a segment of 60 minutes tonight which reported on motorized road bikes. I knew a little about them but had no idea that they were suspected of being used in the TDF. The inventor was certain that they were. Greg LeMond, who really gained some weight, agreed. The inventor had the motor hidden inside the frame and you could not hear it. Now he installs them inside the rear hub. Tyler Hamilton rode one of his bikes and said the motor could definitely help a rider go faster especially on climbs. They ain't cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 12:25 AM   #435
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I was watching a segment of 60 minutes tonight which reported on motorized road bikes. I knew a little about them but had no idea that they were suspected of being used in the TDF. The inventor was certain that they were. Greg LeMond, who really gained some weight, agreed. The inventor had the motor hidden inside the frame and you could not hear it. Now he installs them inside the rear hub. Tyler Hamilton rode one of his bikes and said the motor could definitely help a rider go faster especially on climbs. They ain't cheap.
LeMond thinks anyone who is faster than he was is cheating. I'm sure he cheated too.

They have cut up bike in TdF checking for motors, none have been found. They are using all kinds of tech to try detect if any are being used.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #436
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-m3 View Post
LeMond thinks anyone who is faster than he was is cheating. I'm sure he cheated too.

They have cut up bike in TdF checking for motors, none have been found. They are using all kinds of tech to try detect if any are being used.
Interesting that you are sure LeMond cheated but have no proof and at the same time seem sure there hasn't been cheating in the TDF with motors when we really don't know.

We know motors have been used in high level bike racing - http://www.businessinsider.com/bike-...locross-2016-1

Quote:
Cycling officials on Saturday detained a bicycle during the cyclocross world championships in Zolder, Belgium, to investigate "technological fraud," and on Sunday they confirmed the bike had a concealed motor in the frame.
      01-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #437
Rayscott
Major
Rep

I have met Greg LeMond on several occasions and do not believe he ever cheated. And, there has never been any proof that he did. Greg is a nice guy. I also talked to Lance before his cancer and he is very different than Lemond. Lemond insisted for years that Lance cheated in the TDF's and he was right. That is the reason he was faster. Greg was chastised by Lance for many years. Greg is still the only American TDF winner (3X). As far as motors go the new technology is installing them in the hub. They better start weighing the wheels as the motor makes them heavier than standard CF wheels.
Appreciate 2
wdb4695.50
      02-02-2017, 01:42 AM   #438
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Interesting that you are sure LeMond cheated but have no proof and at the same time seem sure there hasn't been cheating in the TDF with motors when we really don't know.

We know motors have been used in high level bike racing - http://www.businessinsider.com/bike-...locross-2016-1
A huge percentage of riders from his era cheated. And he beat them while not cheating, hmmmm. I've noticed often in life those who are the most vocal against something are guilty themselves. Between the two....

TdF does a lot to try detect the use of motors. If anyone is going to catch a cheater I think they will. Have you watched the past 2 years? It's very obvious they are looking very hard for this.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #439
Rayscott
Major
Rep

I read books on some of the cyclists who raced in the 40' and 50's (Coppi, Bartali, Hinault) There was cheating back then too. Not as sophisticated as modern times but it was done. I didn't know motors were an issue in the TDF until now.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #440
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

its interesting to follow pros on strava. Lance's times are still amazing. His average mph is 8mph more than mine over hour+ rides. LOL

not that im fast, but endurance is where i drop. cheating or not, thats amazing.
Appreciate 0