eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Cosmetic Damage - Opinions on Repair Options

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Recently, a flying chunk of PVC pipe met my front bumper. I actually thought I missed it (didn't hear or feel anything), until a later inspection. The damage is quite minor, so much that I've had to point it out to friend's when mentioning the damage. The sensors, headlamp washers, etc. are unscathed. Nevertheless, it bothers me, and I'm getting it fixed. Of course, the most frustrating aspect is that the bumper has to be removed, and the whole process. Anyway, I have two general questions I'd like input on.

One:
My local shop seems confident they can repair it (i.e. fill in, repaint, etc.), without needing to replace the bumper. I've used them on my previous BMW, and they did good work. I've contacted IND, and inquired about getting a brand new bumper painted by them, shipped, and installed by my local shop. My experience with IND has also been very good, and I've already seen their work with paint-matched items (albeit smaller items). The cost of the bumper, without install, is slightly more than the entire repair option. Either option, the bumper has to be removed. The cost is a non-issue... I just want it looking perfect again, without screwing anything up in the process. Thoughts on these options?

Two:
I typically avoid going through my insurance for smaller repairs, such as these. I did call them, however, to inquire about the effect a claim like this would have on my premium. After describing the incident, they indicated that since this was a "flying" object, it fits into a certain no-fault claim. Ultimately, she indicates that should I go through them for this incident, it would have zero affect on my premium in the future. I'm skeptical. I'd be saving at least $500 if I went through them (again, nothing major, but if what she says is true, why not). Is my skepticism justified? Would you go with you insurance in this case?

As always, thanks for any input.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Pictures of the damage might help folks chime in on #1.

As far as I know, one "not at fault" incident does not affect your rates, but a second one will. So if you get hit tomorrow in a parking lot, you will laready have used up your free bite.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12

Last edited by DrewM5; 05-30-2014 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Recently, a flying chunk of PVC pipe met my front bumper. I actually thought I missed it (didn't hear or feel anything), until a later inspection. The damage is quite minor, so much that I've had to point it out to friend's when mentioning the damage. The sensors, headlamp washers, etc. are unscathed. Nevertheless, it bothers me, and I'm getting it fixed. Of course, the most frustrating aspect is that the bumper has to be removed, and the whole process. Anyway, I have two general questions I'd like input on.

One:
My local shop seems confident they can repair it (i.e. fill in, repaint, etc.), without needing to replace the bumper. I've used them on my previous BMW, and they did good work. I've contacted IND, and inquired about getting a brand new bumper painted by them, shipped, and installed by my local shop. My experience with IND has also been very good, and I've already seen their work with paint-matched items (albeit smaller items). The cost of the bumper, without install, is slightly more than the entire repair option. Either option, the bumper has to be removed. The cost is a non-issue... I just want it looking perfect again, without screwing anything up in the process. Thoughts on these options?

Two:
I typically avoid going through my insurance for smaller repairs, such as these. I did call them, however, to inquire about the effect a claim like this would have on my premium. After describing the incident, they indicated that since this was a "flying" object, it fits into a certain no-fault claim. Ultimately, she indicates that should I go through them for this incident, it would have zero affect on my premium in the future. I'm skeptical. I'd be saving at least $500 if I went through them (again, nothing major, but if what she says is true, why not). Is my skepticism justified? Would you go with you insurance in this case?

I'd go with Option two. If you can get them to show you what she said, in writing or put it in writing for you, then your good.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Pictures of the damage might help folks chime in on #1.

As far as I know, one "not at fault" incident does not affect your rates, but a second one will. So if you get hit tomorrow in a parking lot, you will laready have used up your free bite.
Thanks for the input. I'll try to throw up some pics later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'd go with Option two. If you can get them to show you what she said, in writing or put it in writing for you, then your good.
Thanks. It's one of those things where I feel that when the rates go up in a year or so, they can simply say "oh, that's just the standard increase with time/inflation." Whereas I'll be thinking it's higher than just time/inflation alone. I'm probably over thinking it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:

One:

Two:

Which way if either will not get reported to Carfax is the way I would go. If neither will then get your insurance company involved and save your $$$
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17 View Post
Which way if either will not get reported to Carfax is the way I would go. If neither will then get your insurance company involved and save your $$$
Good thought. I'll check on that. This is a lease, so as long as it is repaired appropriately, I don't believe BMW will care.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
I think I'd buy a new one painted by iND, you could probably sell the damaged one on the F10 forum and recoup some money there too. No carfax either.

On a side note, I missed a deer by literally a foot last weekend going 60 mph - that would have sucked.
      05-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I would replace the bumper with a new one and have it painted and installed locally by a BMW certified body shop. IND is very good, but it is better to just execute locally.

Also I would buy a European bumper to eliminate the patchy look of the painted reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
I did this a few months ago. An alligator strip hit my front bumper and I had insurance cover it. They did not increase my premium.
      05-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
I think I'd buy a new one painted by iND, you could probably sell the damaged one on the F10 forum and recoup some money there too. No carfax either.

On a side note, I missed a deer by literally a foot last weekend going 60 mph - that would have sucked.
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would replace the bumper with a new one and have it painted and installed locally by a BMW certified body shop. IND is very good, but it is better to just execute locally.

Also I would buy a European bumper to eliminate the patchy look of the painted reflectors.
Good thought. What's the best way to get the European part # - ask my dealer? Here's the Penske parts diagram:http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...2&rnd=03192010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle50 View Post
I did this a few months ago. An alligator strip hit my front bumper and I had insurance cover it. They did not increase my premium.
Good to know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Just make sure that switching the bumper won't create any issues at lease turn in.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Good thought. What's the best way to get the European part # - ask my dealer? Here's the Penske parts diagram:http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...2&rnd=03192010

Good to know. Thanks.
For the European part number ask IND. They may be the best people to source it too since I don't know if dealer will have a clue how to order a European part. Depends on competency of dealer parts dept.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17 View Post
Good thought. I'll check on that. This is a lease, so as long as it is repaired appropriately, I don't believe BMW will care.
Be careful yes BMW will care. It affects their resale value when you turn it in if something shows up on carfax. I would definitely replace the bumper but your locals if you pay yourself may not report it where as the insurance may.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Upon lease return, BMW only charges you for scratches that are of a certain size.

I had a similar issue. I purchased a new bumper and had IND paint it. This way I had zero downtime. Just 20 minutes to swap bumpers.
      05-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

^ How much did that cost you? Shipped to your door.
Appreciate 0