03-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

*updated My spirited driving results vs. other performance cars

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Had some spirited driving in the past days with random fellow sports car drivers. I rate my 15 year driving skills as 'average' and don't have any professional track experience, 6/15 years is M cars.

I dont have any videos recorded yet, but here's some info so others know what to expect in a random everyday challenge:

M5 F10 against rivals from my experience. Mostly straight line, 1st gear. Listing "easiest" to "hardest".
Roll: Mercedes Benz CL63 AMG - easily walked away
Roll: Maserati Quattroporte S: easily walked away
Roll: Audi RS5 - easily walked away
Roll: M3 E92 - walked away
Roll: Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2012 - walked away
Roll: X5M - walked away
Roll: M5 E61 - walked away, not easily at all
Standstill: Porsche 911 Carrera 2012 (dont know which one) - walked away
Standstill: Tuned EvoX - was behind until 70 km/h, then flew by him
Roll: Panamera Turbo - Draw. Equal from 30 km/h to about 200 km/h. I don't know if it was a Turbo Kit or if it was tuned, but he stayed with me. We did multiple runs from a roll. Each had 2 passengers. I kept repeating same mistake when shifting to 2nd gear, was switching at red line from M View bar and that was already too late. Traction was an issue, but nothing to complain about. Running from a roll was already to my advantage.
This was the only car I haven't won against so far. I don't know what it was, but I would assume Turbo S (never seen in one myself) would be a big threat.
Roll: GT-R (dont know which/tune if any) - Walked away. Raced (I was following him from about 50 meters) from about 50 km/h to about 200 km/h. He walked away for 1-2 seconds, but after that (~120 km/h) I was stably closing on him until 200 km/h and traffic appeared. I didn't watch speeds or take measurements, was focused on optimal shifting like crazy. He seemed like an easy prey on higher speeds. Maybe this was 2009 GT-R?
Roll: SLS 63 AMG - Draw or maybe faster than me (?). Raced from about 50 km/h until about 200 km/h. I expected that SLS 63 AMG would eat me alive and drive away easily, I know what a brilliant car it is and a totally different category, but surprisingly (he was behind when we started) I didn't let him close on me (or noticably) with some effort. Must have been the driver's fault. Even if he was bad, I know he was doing what he can because there was racing a screaming GT-R that mixed in the race.
I know that outcome depends more on the driver than on cars, but this is what I've experienced so far with other interested fellow enthusiasts. Cheers!

Last edited by singularity; 03-24-2012 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
///M5Canuck
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
Had some spirited driving in the past days with random fellow sports car drivers. I rate my 15 year driving skills as 'average' and don't have any professional track experience, 6/15 years is M cars.

I dont have any videos recorded yet, but here's some info so others know what to expect in a random everyday challenge:

M5 F10 against rivals from my experience. Mostly straight line, 1st gear. Listing "easiest" to "hardest".
Roll: Panamera Turbo - Draw. Equal from 30 km/h to about 200 km/h. I don't know if it was a Turbo Kit or if it was tuned, but he stayed with me. We did multiple runs from a roll. Each had 2 passengers. I kept repeating same mistake when shifting to 2nd gear, was switching at red line from M View bar and that was already too late. Traction was an issue, but nothing to complain about. Running from a roll was already to my advantage.
This was the only car I haven't won against so far. I don't know what it was, but I would assume Turbo S (never seen in one myself) would be a big threat.

I know that outcome depends more on the driver than on cars, but this is what I've experienced so far with other interested fellow enthusiasts. Cheers!
This is great, thank you! Also a Turbo S is twice the money; if you can remotely keep within a cars length or two from a standstill, you should feel love for your M5 and they should feel shame...I bet you could keep up from a roll, that AWD system is a big advantage with that much power to the wheels. Also, good on you for actually 'driving' your beast. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fun read I was picturing the runs in my head as I read down the list. Think you could have taken the panamera turbo if you shifted perfectly?

You walked away from a lot of impressive cars. How were the reactions from the other drivers?

You have to find a new CLS63 that should be fun and tough one.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
bmwaterboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535is

Thumbs up

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Be safe out there
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity

Why has everyone in your local area got a sports or performance car? Do you live in Beverley Hills or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09BlkSapphire View Post
Fun read I was picturing the runs in my head as I read down the list. Think you could have taken the panamera turbo if you shifted perfectly?

You walked away from a lot of impressive cars. How were the reactions from the other drivers?

You have to find a new CLS63 that should be fun and tough one.
I think I would have won if I shifted perfectly, but it wouldn't be major by any means. Most drivers mainly praised the car and some said they didn't expect M5 to go THAT fast
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
jayb289
Private
Rep
Drives: horse and carriage

im sorry bro, but i simply cannot believe that you "easily walked away" from a cls 63 but just "walked away" from a m3 and e61 m5. anybody who isnt blinded by the bmw badge can see why i have doubts.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb289 View Post
im sorry bro, but i simply cannot believe that you "easily walked away" from a cls 63 but just "walked away" from a m3 and e61 m5. anybody who isnt blinded by the bmw badge can see why i have doubts.
If the merc didn't have the pp not surprising that he easily walked
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
It says CL 63 AMG, read more attentively. Even if it was a new CLS63PP, such a result would mean to me that the driver was bad, I have a good general idea on performance cars on paper. Updated a roll race with SLS 63 AMG and GT-R.

Last edited by singularity; 03-24-2012 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
jayb289
Private
Rep
Drives: horse and carriage

Quote:
It says CL 63 AMG, read more attentively. Even if it was a new CLS63PP, such a result would mean to me that the driver was bad, I have a good general idea on performance cars on paper. Updated a roll race with SLS 63 AMG and GT-R.
your car is completely stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Was it the 5.5 biturbo CL 63 or the 6.2 V8 model?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
singularity
Driver
Rep

Quote:
your car is completely stock?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister View Post
Was it the 5.5 biturbo CL 63 or the 6.2 V8 model?
I think it was 6.2 pre-facelift
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Quote:
Yes

I think it was 6.2 pre-facelift
That explains why you "easily walked away".
Appreciate 0