BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
dajonx
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Looking to Purchase a use 2016 M5 Comp

Hello!

I am looking at a few used '16 M5s with Competition Package and was wondering what you guys think is a good price. Here are a couple:

CPO M5

Another M5

I've read that getting one with Competition Package is worth it because of the upgraded suspension and stuff. So that's why I've limited myself with these two. Do you guys think it's worth it?

I'm not sure how I feel about purchasing used from a non-BMW dealership. Should I also look at dealerships that only sell used cars as well?

I live in PA so chances are I would have to purchase sight unseen. Is that dumb? How would I be able to get a PPI (this is my first time purchasing a used car)?

What do you guys think?

Thank you for reading!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
dajonx
Rep

Also, should a CPO still have PPI?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
dajonx
Rep

Any advice anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

Competition package was a must for me after my test drives. The steering just felt more connected.

If the car is bmw certified I really wouldn't worry about a PPI as the process to get it certified is pretty good in my opinion.
      01-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
Competition package was a must for me after my test drives. The steering just felt more connected.

If the car is bmw certified I really wouldn't worry about a PPI as the process to get it certified is pretty good in my opinion.
I agree with both points as well.
A CPO vehicle shouldn't require a PPI but doesn't hurt if you use an indy shop.
When I was looking for both of mine, I only considered a comp package because well....why not? lol

Out of the two cars you listed, I would go with option two for a few reasons....
1. Lower miles
2. B&O sound
3. Better wheels. The wheels that come standard w/ the comp pack are heavier and less desirable.
4. Better trim. The aluminum in my opinion looks way better than the wood grain.

Good luck!

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:37 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajonx View Post
Hello!

I am looking at a few used '16 M5s with Competition Package and was wondering what you guys think is a good price. Here are a couple:

CPO M5

Another M5

I've read that getting one with Competition Package is worth it because of the upgraded suspension and stuff. So that's why I've limited myself with these two. Do you guys think it's worth it?

I'm not sure how I feel about purchasing used from a non-BMW dealership. Should I also look at dealerships that only sell used cars as well?

I live in PA so chances are I would have to purchase sight unseen. Is that dumb? How would I be able to get a PPI (this is my first time purchasing a used car)?

What do you guys think?

Thank you for reading!
I would never purchase one without inspecting it myself. Strange you can only tell if its a cp or standard at first by looking at the arch gap carefully with there being no badge differentiation.
Would agree with above that the alloy trim is preferable as are the lighter 343M wheels.Lower mileage is always a plus and lastly the ribbed comfort seats are the choice which both examples have.Are you happy with just the blue colour and black wheels and how many oil changes has it had..
The hi-fi is hobsons choice,I've had my M three years come March and the HK is superb.There have been a few reported B&O amp failures for no apparent reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Just make sure you get a warranty, also the Comp Pack is a lot more desirable
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
dajonx
Rep

Thank you so much for the advice!!!

So the non-CPO M5 does have more things, but it's been in two accidents (unsure about severity) and it's located in the West Coast (I'm in the East) so I won't be able to see it. Is it fairly straightforward on getting a PPI on the car (call the shop to schedule, but who takes the car there?)?

I had no idea about the better wheels. Thank you for the info!

Yes, I would definitely get an extended warranty. I assume going through BMW extended warranty would cost more than a third party?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajonx View Post
Thank you so much for the advice!!!

So the non-CPO M5 does have more things, but it's been in two accidents (unsure about severity) and it's located in the West Coast (I'm in the East) so I won't be able to see it. Is it fairly straightforward on getting a PPI on the car (call the shop to schedule, but who takes the car there?)?

I had no idea about the better wheels. Thank you for the info!

Yes, I would definitely get an extended warranty. I assume going through BMW extended warranty would cost more than a third party?
Probably cost more but I guess you get piece of mind with BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

You'll get a more comfy ride with a standard M
Appreciate 0