BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #155
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

Some of the new batches or 911s were recalled for faulty connected gas lines, some of the new Mercedes had floor mats that could entrap the accelerator and some of the new audis had glass that will shatter.

BMW is erring in the side of caution. I would rather pay for what I get in my bimmer than a Porsche. What other car can you get the performance and the room and customer service at a decent price point?

I mean you could still enjoy your car and drive the shit out of it and take it when the new pump is ready and if some light comes on shut her down and hit the SOS button. At this point it will have to be flat bedded anyway.

And it's not like this an aventador which I'm sure drinks oil like a cookie monster hooked on oil monster.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #156
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Glad mine isn't on the list.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #157
ucla95
Striker
Rep
Drives: Slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
What kind of loaners are you guys expecting?
Probably the standard issue 328i. I don't think we have a choice in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #158
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Talked to a dealer just now in Georgia who says they received the recall 3 days ago and have been told by BMW that they will have the replacement oil pump next week. Not sure how valid this guy's info is, but sounds promising.
      09-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #159
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

glad mine is not on the list. picking it up in 4 days @ the Welt.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #160
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
What I was told:

James,

They have already fixed the problem for those cars being built (as suspected).

The only cars that are affected, are the ones already being driven.

This will not affect your order in any way.

I'm glad you waited though. :-)

Have a great weekend!!!!

Oh ok thanks.....
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #161
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Issues already with a 100K car...???

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #162
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Digby Chicken Caesar View Post
What I was told:

James,

They have already fixed the problem for those cars being built (as suspected).

The only cars that are affected, are the ones already being driven.

This will not affect your order in any way.

I'm glad you waited though. :-)

Have a great weekend!!!!

Oh ok thanks.....
Is your car waiting for production, or has it been built already?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #163
babybeamer
bimmerrook
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

If this is not a design issue (which is no more acceptable) and it is in fact a supply issue, there is still some explaining to do. I worked in process engineering in automotive manufacturing for a number of years. The same way it is important to understand the critical design features of a component that add value and enable performance, you must understand and adhere to process performance tolerances to achieve the required product performance for assembly and end user use. The only difference when the manufacturer is a third party, is the customer(BMW) must have the supplier report product performance data at the appropriate frequency for critical and non critical product attributes. Critical often implies a more stringent requirement(less allowance for variation) on an attribute. (Often times OEMs will dictate process settings to a supplier, supervising their equipment settings, to achieve the desired product performance. Even requiring them to seek permission before changing equipment settings in their own facility.) That data (usually called C of A for Certificate of Authorization) is suppose to be sent before the batch of parts that were tested actually arrive at your facility. This provides OEMS like BMW with an opportunity to review the data and put parts on hold or return them to the supplier as soon as it arrives at their facility. If an entire truck load of parts is bad you can even turn the truck around before it gets to your facility......That being said, there are only a few ways this doesn't stop nonsense like what is going on now from happening:

1. The supplier is not doing any measurements or they are and BMW did not review them in a timely manner
2. You are measuring the wrong attributes that do not impact overall performance
3. They are measuring the correct attributes but do not understand the sensitivity of the part to variance
4. Worst Case: It could be the interaction of more than one part. (i.e. Both parts in spec, but the combination of more than one part being near the tolerance yields a bad result)

Either way the responsibility rests with BMW to set the expectation and manage their supplier.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #164
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboody99 View Post
Mine was produced in April but its the 2nd time now i get a warning saying to fill up 1 liter of oil. Went to the dealer and they topped it up. Was told it's no issue. Il contact them tomorrow and see whats going on
This is not uncommon, before I got my current M3 I had a 335i for 3 years and that thing needed oil top-off frequently. It's common with turbo charged engines. I've had the M3 for a couple of months now and haven't seen the message to add oil yet. Perhaps NA engines don't burn oil as quickly as turbo charged ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #165
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by m balla View Post
Some of the new batches or 911s were recalled for faulty connected gas lines, some of the new Mercedes had floor mats that could entrap the accelerator and some of the new audis had glass that will shatter.

BMW is erring in the side of caution. I would rather pay for what I get in my bimmer than a Porsche. What other car can you get the performance and the room and customer service at a decent price point?

I mean you could still enjoy your car and drive the shit out of it and take it when the new pump is ready and if some light comes on shut her down and hit the SOS button. At this point it will have to be flat bedded anyway.

And it's not like this an aventador which I'm sure drinks oil like a cookie monster hooked on oil monster.
I believe Porsche is right up there with Lexus in terms of reliability, and initial quality...
And BMW is not---just saying.

I understand that they are saying it's a bad batch, but when you have a a high performance vehicle like the M5 and it being THE M5, there is no room for error. There is a certain history, as we all know, with the M5 for a supplier to have a "bad batch".
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #166
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiers View Post
Ironically I just recently posted that BMW's lack of instrumentation (in this case oil Px) is unacceptable. If you've flown or plane or even driven any other high performance vehicle this should be as given as a tach. BMW is losing it's edge.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #167
AphiM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 6MT

I was at BMW Welt yesterday and saw a M5 being delivered. Looks like anyone with a future delivery will be ok?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #168
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybeamer View Post
If this is not a design issue (which is no more acceptable) and it is in fact a supply issue, there is still some explaining to do. I worked in process engineering in automotive manufacturing for a number of years. The same way it is important to understand the critical design features of a component that add value and enable performance, you must understand and adhere to process performance tolerances to achieve the required product performance for assembly and end user use. The only difference when the manufacturer is a third party, is the customer(BMW) must have the supplier report product performance data at the appropriate frequency for critical and non critical product attributes. Critical often implies a more stringent requirement(less allowance for variation) on an attribute. (Often times OEMs will dictate process settings to a supplier, supervising their equipment settings, to achieve the desired product performance. Even requiring them to seek permission before changing equipment settings in their own facility.) That data (usually called C of A for Certificate of Authorization) is suppose to be sent before the batch of parts that were tested actually arrive at your facility. This provides OEMS like BMW with an opportunity to review the data and put parts on hold or return them to the supplier as soon as it arrives at their facility. If an entire truck load of parts is bad you can even turn the truck around before it gets to your facility......That being said, there are only a few ways this doesn't stop nonsense like what is going on now from happening:

1. The supplier is not doing any measurements or they are and BMW did not review them in a timely manner
2. You are measuring the wrong attributes that do not impact overall performance
3. They are measuring the correct attributes but do not understand the sensitivity of the part to variance
4. Worst Case: It could be the interaction of more than one part. (i.e. Both parts in spec, but the combination of more than one part being near the tolerance yields a bad result)

Either way the responsibility rests with BMW to set the expectation and manage their supplier.
this X1000
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #169
M52013UDM
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SS

Hope that everyone impacted by this recall is swiftly and adequately compensated for their individual circumstances as related to this issue.

I received a call on Thursday 20Sep12 around 5pm from my sales guy who made the arrangements with BMW Welt for my ED (US spec) delivery that was scheduled for Saturday 22Sep12 at 1pm. With his concerned tone, he stated that I would not be receiving my F10 due to this oil pump recall issue and that BMW will reimburse me for all of the expenses that I have incurred for this missed delivery.

Currently, I live in Stuttgart and had made reservations for a first class train ride from Stuttgart to Munich, including an overnight hotel reservation for Friday and following up with the next day’s highly anticipated BMW Welt M5 delivery experience.

While my car is NOT on this AFFECTED VIN# LIST, until I receive further conclusive info from BMW AG, I will first assume that either BMW is taking a proactive stand to replace the oil pumps for all newly produced M5’s, or second for some other reason my vin # has not yet made it to this “possibly affected” list, or third there is some other “issue” that has yet been released to the public.

This is my second new ///M car and my sixth new BMW purchased within the past six years. I also have a seventh new BMW F30 335i that I will receive in mid-October and given my prior BMW experiences, I would expect nothing but BMW paying it forward by making it right to all of us who have been affected by this issue.

As a BMW loyalist, l will continue to maintain a positive outlook and not read between the lines with non-authoritative BMW doom and gloom BS hysteria that makes it sound like the sky is falling and now my 6 figure car has a resale value of a Hyundai.

Keeping it real!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #170
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by M52013UDM View Post
Hope that everyone impacted by this recall is swiftly and adequately compensated for their individual circumstances as related to this issue.

I received a call on Thursday 20Sep12 around 5pm from my sales guy who made the arrangements with BMW Welt for my ED (US spec) delivery that was scheduled for Saturday 22Sep12 at 1pm. With his concerned tone, he stated that I would not be receiving my F10 due to this oil pump recall issue and that BMW will reimburse me for all of the expenses that I have incurred for this missed delivery.

Currently, I live in Stuttgart and had made reservations for a first class train ride from Stuttgart to Munich, including an overnight hotel reservation for Friday and following up with the next day’s highly anticipated BMW Welt M5 delivery experience.

While my car is NOT on this AFFECTED VIN# LIST, until I receive further conclusive info from BMW AG, I will first assume that either BMW is taking a proactive stand to replace the oil pumps for all newly produced M5’s, or second for some other reason my vin # has not yet made it to this “possibly affected” list, or third there is some other “issue” that has yet been released to the public.

This is my second new ///M car and my sixth new BMW purchased within the past six years. I also have a seventh new BMW F30 335i that I will receive in mid-October and given my prior BMW experiences, I would expect nothing but BMW paying it forward by making it right to all of us who have been affected by this issue.

As a BMW loyalist, l will continue to maintain a positive outlook and not read between the lines with non-authoritative BMW doom and gloom BS hysteria that makes it sound like the sky is falling and now my 6 figure car has a resale value of a Hyundai.

Keeping it real!!!
Good luck, and I agree with the sky is falling mentality! Looks like they are making it right by all affected, and some will try take take advantage as the world is perfect. All high end performance cars have recalls, and last I checked Ferrar's were burning up and they are still great machines.

My ED experience was great, and your will be too once this issue is resolved! If I have to wait a couple of extra days so be it. The sun is still out so my 650 convt can get some reps in(:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #171
M52013UDM
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Good luck, and I agree with the sky is falling mentality! Looks like they are making it right by all affected, and some will try take take advantage as the world is perfect. All high end performance cars have recalls, and last I checked Ferrar's were burning up and they are still great machines.

My ED experience was great, and your will be too once this issue is resolved! If I have to wait a couple of extra days so be it. The sun is still out so my 650 convt can get some reps in(:
Enjoy that sun with 650 convt While I have been to the Welt a few times now - this will be my first delivery there and I am sure it will be a great experience like yours
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #172
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Not really. M cars generally suffer much higher depreciation in the first few years over their generic BMW counterparts.

If resale was key you should have bought a 550.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyoM5 View Post
A few things to note....in the first 2 years of M production...M3 M5 etc. They hold resale historically better than their competitors. I don't want a 550 nor an E550. I am talking about apples to apples. 550s are Great to lease because BMW used to subsidize the residuals. Don't know a lot of people that buy them since a 70k 550 is only worth 45k 2 years later. As a M5 in the first years of production because of limited demand will hopefully be worth 70k after 2 years. So a much better car for about the same loss. Though I will agree once the new model comes out or a significant change happens to model, then the old model will drop off like rock. And yes, a car is an investment in fun, not one to make money. Unless of course you have a 1929 bugatti.
Have to disagree with you in this, as many others have as well....M cars are horrible for resale regardless of whether they are first, second, third or fourth year model runs and also regardless of whether a face lifted model comes out in the third or fourth year.

I live in Canada and a friend picked up a 2008 M5 in March 2011 for about 45k, low miles and wasn't even 3 years old yet according to the in service date. The car was approx 110k new. While he did get a great deal, it was not unheard of at the time.

I myself picked up a 2008 M6 from Florida as I couldn't find ones I liked locally here in Canada and paid 60k for it, low miles, every single option and desirable color combo. Car was 125 brand new if I remember correctly. That's a pretty serious loss of value in just 3 years....over 50% on both those examples I gave.

So to say they hold their value in any shape, way or form is outright crazy and your dreaming!!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #173
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M52013UDM View Post
Enjoy that sun with 650 convt While I have been to the Welt a few times now - this will be my first delivery there and I am sure it will be a great experience like yours
It will be better when the orange crush arrives. I bit the bullet sakhir orange M5, and love the color!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #174
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
It will be better when the orange crush arrives. I bit the bullet sakhir orange M5, and love the color!
For you Bimmer6...congrats. Snapped this yesterday:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #175
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
For you Bimmer6...congrats. Snapped this yesterday:
Nice can't wait! I was afraid to order the color, but when I did ED three weeks ago I love the color. Now I'm car sick again, and will look nice next to the monaco blue 650. (:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #176
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy
Issues already with a 100K car...???
And BMW still remains the most profitable car company...?
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0