BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

question for the track guys...

I'm contemplating another HPDE through the BMW CCA. I have previously done Watkins Glen which is a big track and am considering doing Palmer Motorsports in MA which is considerably smaller but much closer to me.

however i learned my lesson when I originally took the car to Watkins Glen and after 2 days of driving to the limits I needed a complete redo on the brakes (>$3k)

that being said, wondering what the guys on this forum do when they are bringing the m5 to the track...

-are you guys swapping pads? pads and rotors? or are you running stock. How many sessions do you get out of this
-do you have dedicated wheels for the track or are you running stock

i can do most of the maintenance like pad/rotor swap and brake fluid flushes myself.

trying to make sense to see if it's worth it- of course driving your own car on the track is ideal, but the costs seem to equate out to doing a driving school through BMW or Porsche (have done both and loved them almost as much).

I know it's cheaper to get a track car, but I do not have garage or driveway space to have this as an option.

thanks
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Hi

The m5 is a big heavy car for track days, I've used mine twice on track (did numerous days in my previous E92 M3)

I didn't go through pads etc, that is probably because I got much of the real extreme late braking etc out of my system with the M3.

On any given day I would do a couple of quick laps, high speeds and that's it - it isn't a race car and yes you'll wreck it if you drive like one for 3 hours. Had some massive moments too spinning etc too, as a result I set some self imposed limits around top speeds, late baking etc, instead concentrated on learning to drive super smoothly, and on to doing nice drifts etc with out the big speeds (speed is super dangerous, 30mph drift super fun) and v late braking (expensive). Watch how nice on the cars a good instructor is at 90%...

Tyres are comparatively cheap too! Just my 5c, I had my M5/M3 fully sideways in all the slow corners and I know I had more fun than anyone..and I just let em all by all the time....! (plus you save your car)

Last tip, is to ignore the first hour of the day just watch them all go for it, then ease into it and then I would often have the whole track to myself for the last hour, when everyone has run out brakes, fuel & tyres! Like the last run down a ski field when everyone has gone home - mint.

Cheers
stu

Last edited by kiwistu; 03-14-2016 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I've never run at Palmer, but I did 3 HDPEs at Lime Rock in my 2013 M5. I still got around 24,000 miles out of my stock tires and turned the car in at the end of the lease with more than half of the stock break pads remaining. If Palmer is like Lime Rock, a small 1.5 mile circuit, there's much less wear than a high speed track like Watkins Glenn.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Stainless lines and upgraded fluid at the very least.
Appreciate 0