M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

10-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
m5hadoop
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 M5 CP

pay german emissions tax after ED

I did European Delivery of my '15 M5 this August. I just received an official letter from a Munich tax office that I owe them 29 euro for C02 emissions tax for a 30-day period.

Has anyone else received such a letter before? Given that it's a small amount I might as well pay, but I've just never heard anyone else talk about this before. All the URL's, phone numbers and addresses are legit, so this doesn't look like a scam.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5hadoop View Post
I did European Delivery of my '15 M5 this August. I just received an official letter from a Munich tax office that I owe them 29 euro for C02 emissions tax for a 30-day period.

Has anyone else received such a letter before? Given that it's a small amount I might as well pay, but I've just never heard anyone else talk about this before. All the URL's, phone numbers and addresses are legit, so this doesn't look like a scam.

BMWNA says ignore it. I got a 15 m5 in August and the same letter from Zoll.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I did not recived any on my 14'. I was also expecting some speeding tickets... but its been a few days shy of a year with no surprises in the mail.
      10-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
m5hadoop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable229 View Post
BMWNA says ignore it. I got a 15 m5 in August and the same letter from Zoll.
Thanks for the confirmation variable229. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. Okay, I'll go ahead and ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
I did not recived any on my 14'. I was also expecting some speeding tickets... but its been a few days shy of a year with no surprises in the mail.
I saw some speed camera flashes go off in a construction zone literally 2 miles away from my Frankfurt drop off point after I had missed the exit. So far nothing...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Your car was given the Green Low-Emission sticker right? (aka Umweltplakette)

If so, then I don't understand as to why they would fine you didn't violate the emissions/umwelt zone....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
variable229
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I don't know why people think this is a tax bill that you have to pay. It is not and I would just keep this as a souvenir.

Keep in mind, ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsche. So sorry if its a bad translation, I paraphrased as much as possible as I don't want to retype the whole letter here and German is like my 4th language.

The letter you received states that they are planning to debit the amount of $29 euros (for us M5 folks, tax amounts vary on engine size / emissions). By law they will debit the $29 Euros on November 20, 2014 (this date will vary). This amount will be direct debited from bank account (IBAN number) that is held at Deutsche Bank Germany. The Zoll letter also states that your tax period was valid for 30 days.

The rest of the letter informs us if you sold the vehicle sometime during the 30 day period, you may be entitled to a refund. The bottom of the letter states the type of registration "Personal Vehicle", valid on first registration date (likely your ED date) and maximum laden mass (2.411kg). The back of letter states how the tax is calculated on your vehicle. The bottom paragraph on the back of the letter basically states that you can appeal on the decision how they calculated the tax amount fees.

Last edited by variable229; 10-08-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
m5hadoop
Private
Rep

Yes I had the green sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable229 View Post
I don't know why people think this is a tax bill that you have to pay. It is not and I would just keep this as a souvenir.

Keep in mind, ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsche. So sorry if its a bad translation, I paraphrased as much as possible as I don't want to retype the whole letter here and German is like my 4th language.

The letter you received states that they are planning to debit the amount of $29 euros (for us M5 folks, tax amounts vary on engine size / emissions). By law they will debit the $29 Euros on November 20, 2014 (this date will vary). This amount will be direct debited from bank account (IBAN number) that is held at Deutsche Bank Germany. The Zoll letter also sattes that your tax period was valid for 30 days between your ED pickup date.

The rest of the letter informs us if you sold the vehicle sometime during the 30 day period, you may be entitled to a refund. The bottom of the letter states the type of registration "Personal Vehicle", valid on first registration date (likely your ED date) and maximum laden mass (2.411kg). The back of letter states how the tax is calculated on your vehicle. The bottom paragraph on the back of the letter basically states that you can appeal on the decision how they calculated the tax amount fees.
Wow, shows you how well I read that letter

I can read German pretty well but just saw the amount and a bank account number and assumed I had to pay. Thanks for the info. I will read it carefully when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
m5hadoop
Private
Rep

Took a closer look and it is not surprising that someone thinks that this is a tax bill that you have to pay.

The subject of the letter is: Information on Motor Vehicle Tax. Then there is a section that headlines: Payment Request. It continuous to state that you (the addressee of the letter) have to pay them 29 euros by a certain date.

Once you've seen that and you see a bank account number you assume that you have to pay something, right?

Further reading does show that they will collect the amount payable from the specified account by automatic withdrawal. The account being an account of someone who you have authorized to pay on your behalf. In other words a BMW ED account created for this purpose.

In summary, yes the letter tells you that you need to pay an emissions tax bill, but the funds will be withdrawn from a BMW account.
Appreciate 0