BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 Lime Rock '14 M5

M5 '14 exhaust/sound

I have had my 2014 M5 with CP for 2 days now and while driving it is a sheer pleasure, I will say I am quite disappointed with the sound/exhaust.

My point of comparison is my e92 2013 M3 Lime Rock limited edition which is stock but a modified performance exhaust (versus a regular stock M3). The Lime Rock simply screams and there is no comparison from a sound standpoint with the F10 M5. (It is of course also true that the M3's performance doesn't match the engine roar it creates and the M5's performance by comparison is exhilarating.)

I have no experience with mods and have been reading a lot of threads on this forum. Some of the technical detail and terminology used on the site are beyond my level of understanding currently but I'd appreciate some simple suggestions/solutions for high quality after market upgrades to the exhaust system to address my "sound" issue. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh53 View Post
I have had my 2014 M5 with CP for 2 days now and while driving it is a sheer pleasure, I will say I am quite disappointed with the sound/exhaust.

My point of comparison is my e92 2013 M3 Lime Rock limited edition which is stock but a modified performance exhaust (versus a regular stock M3). The Lime Rock simply screams and there is no comparison from a sound standpoint with the F10 M5. (It is of course also true that the M3's performance doesn't match the engine roar it creates and the M5's performance by comparison is exhilarating.)

I have no experience with mods and have been reading a lot of threads on this forum. Some of the technical detail and terminology used on the site are beyond my level of understanding currently but I'd appreciate some simple suggestions/solutions for high quality after market upgrades to the exhaust system to address my "sound" issue. Thanks
In simple terms: Normally Aspirated>Turbo (in terms of exhaust note)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks - I get that natural aspiration sounds better than forced induction all else being equal. I guess I was surprised the difference was as dramatic as it is.

I am curious if any f10 owners have aftermarket upgrade suggestions to improve the exhaust notes for my new M5.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
In simple terms: Normally Aspirated>Turbo (in terms of exhaust note)
What about AMG?
      08-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh53
Thanks - I get that natural aspiration sounds better than forced induction all else being equal. I guess I was surprised the difference was as dramatic as it is.

I am curious if any f10 owners have aftermarket upgrade suggestions to improve the exhaust notes for my new M5.
I would recommend this exhaust. I am sure they are several sponsor on the forum that could get you a good deal. Congrats on both your cars.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/bmw-...st-p-4147.html

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

You have no idea bro.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Yea! What he said.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
You have no idea bro.

Is that your rpi exhaust in that vid..
Sounds wicked

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Is it expected that the stock exhaust note will "open up" with time? I ask since that has been suggested for certain aftermarket exhausts.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I think we all have to put things into perspective though... What Dave has done (RPIM5) no one else has done nor seems to be gravitating towards. His set up is the extreme and he has gone under the knife often to get to that place of aural pleasure. Please correct me if Im wrong in saying no one else has done what he has; so essentially what most of want (not me, I need it loud) is more sound than stock. The AMG is coming off a 5.4 litre engine with different muffler baffling/resonating that puts out a tremendous stock note from the turbos. This was almost enough for me and I did one minor mod (resonator removal) to get more sound.

The S63tu requires 4k in exhaust work and in my case downpipes for another 3k. It shouldnt be that hard for a GT cruiser/sports car from the M Division no?

Skip to the 40 seconds on this poorly executed video- only resonator removal (100 dollars):

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
here is a recording of how it sounds outside the car to those nearby. This was recorded above the exhaust. Note, it's not what the driver hears but then neither is the AMG recording on this thread. The car sounds good with stock exhaust.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875560

Thanks to Neil McRae for the recording.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Stock exhaust sucks, I told myself for over 7 months now I wouldn't do exhaust and spend the extra money. In the next couple weeks Im doing catless downpipes with full straight pipes.The same as RPI. Should sound a little better .
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Stock exhaust sucks, I told myself for over 7 months now I wouldn't do exhaust and spend the extra money. In the next couple weeks Im doing catless downpipes with full straight pipes.The same as RPI. Should sound a little better .
Gotta love the power of our minds. It's like women and their shoes and purses.
      08-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
I also own both E92 M3 with MPE and F10 M5.

Here we go again...I said it once as I'll say it a million times, you can make the F10 M5 as loud as you like but the exhaust note will never improve...as Coldlist said very well NA > Turbo in terms of exhaust note...there are different engines with different characteristics, plain and simple...and comparing it to the E92 M3, well it is just not fair at all!

I love the F10 M5 growl and it can be addictive but the exhaust note is not there. The car is insulated so well that unless you riding on the exhaust tips, you will not hear much. IMO the stock exhaust suits the car just fine, most people I have been around like the exhaust note from the outside which tells me that it is noticeable in a good way. I can see how people want a louder exhaust, in that case the new sport exhaust with the CP is probably a bit better, and the MPE for the F10 even better but only for loudness...these are the only options I would ever consider to date for a F10 M5.

If you want to enjoy exhaust note and magnificent sound (induction and exhaust) , just drive the E92 M3 whenever you like to do so...that's the cheapest and best option for you...

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
Is that your rpi exhaust in that vid..
Sounds wicked
I've been told the proper word for it is "evil," and yes it is mine.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
...I said it once as I'll say it a million times, you can make the F10 M5 as loud as you like but the exhaust note will never improve...as Coldlist said very well NA > Turbo in terms of exhaust note...there are different engines with different characteristics, plain and simple...and comparing it to the E92 M3, well it is just not fair at all!

I love the F10 M5 growl and it can be addictive but the exhaust note is not there. The car is insulated so well that unless you riding on the exhaust tips, you will not hear much.
I beg to differ, and I must disagree, respectfully of course sir.

Here is a video of my car. Towards the end is my buddy's E92 M3 with a Full RPi GTM exhaust on it. In case you are not aware, the RPi GTM system for the E90/E92 M3 is a full catless system, that includes no resonators, and only mufflers. It is essentially one of the loudest and most refined aftermarket systems available for the M3. In my own opinion (and many agree with me), the E92 M3 in this video, even with its exhaust system, does not sound as good as my F10 M5 in both tone and in decibel level.

I know you will probably disagree with me just to make a counter-point no matter how many videos I make or present, but just consider for a moment the design of the S63tu's crossbanked exhaust manifolds that feed right into the turbos giving it that flat-crank "ferarri-ish" sound that no standard NA V8 could ever have. And my car absolutely has that ferarri-sh sound, especially when you get it up into 6000 to 7,000rpm range. Just listen to the downshift at 0:39 in this video. No M3 can have a downshifting sound like that. You really have to just come for a ride with me to understand.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Here is a video of my car. Towards the end is my buddy's E92 M3 with a Full RPi GTM exhaust on it. In case you are not aware, the RPi GTM system for the E90/E92 M3 is a full catless system, that includes no resonators, and only mufflers. It is essentially one of the loudest and most refined aftermarket systems available for the M3. In my own opinion (and many agree with me), the E92 M3 in this video, even with its exhaust system, does not sound as good as my F10 M5 in both tone and in decibel level.

I know you will probably disagree with me just to make a counter-point no matter how many videos I make or present, but just consider for a moment the design of the S63tu's crossbanked exhaust manifolds that feed right into the turbos giving it that flat-crank "ferarri-ish" sound that no standard NA V8 could ever have. And my car absolutely has that ferarri-sh sound, especially when you get it up into 6000 to 7,000rpm range. Just listen to the downshift at 0:39 in this video. No M3 can have a downshifting sound like that. You really have to just come for a ride with me to understand.

With all due respect...I agree that the car sounds evil and race-loud but the exhaust note it is not of my liking, and I agree with you that the E92 M3 in this video is not as loud as your F10, but whatever they did the E92 M3 in this video doesn't sound that good...

I give you all the loudness titles in the world but the note is not there for me...but again enjoy it to the fullest!

And yes I would take ride from an M mate anytime...I travel a bit so if I make to SD, I will let you know and maybe maybe we have an agreement..cheers

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

RPiM5- I like the sound of your car, it is loud and aggressive- maybe a little too loud for my taste but can't argue that it is super impressive. Congrats.

I disagree with you on the e92 M3 in this video. I will take the stock performance exhaust on my '13 Lime Rock every day of the week over what this modified car is producing. The Lime Rock is loud, raw and very natural. You are more knowledgable technically than I am on this topic but whatever changes BMW made to the Lime Rock exhaust versus a standard e92 resulted a natural and super impressive exhaust and overall sound.

i belong to a place that has some impressive cars - ferrari's, maserati's etc and I've had multiple owners ask me what I did to the car. That is impressive considering the answer is "nothing".

Last edited by KKS53; 08-14-2013 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Here is a cold start video of a stock M5, same color as mine. Sounds pretty good from outside the car. The car is intended to be luxurious which means a certain amount of soundproofing, that is why the piped in the sound. It sounds good to the bystanders, that is for sure. I have had plenty of people compliment the sound it makes.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 08-14-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I think we all have to put things into perspective though... What Dave has done (RPIM5) no one else has done nor seems to be gravitating towards. His set up is the extreme and he has gone under the knife often to get to that place of aural pleasure. Please correct me if Im wrong in saying no one else has done what he has; so essentially what most of want (not me, I need it loud) is more sound than stock. The AMG is coming off a 5.4 litre engine with different muffler baffling/resonating that puts out a tremendous stock note from the turbos. This was almost enough for me and I did one minor mod (resonator removal) to get more sound.

The S63tu requires 4k in exhaust work and in my case downpipes for another 3k. It shouldnt be that hard for a GT cruiser/sports car from the M Division no?

Skip to the 40 seconds on this poorly executed video- only resonator removal (100 dollars):

Oooohhhh I LIKE that! The difference here is that the AMG sounds "tuned" and not just "loud". This is what I prefer. Ironically, the exhaust on my F12 M6(stock) sounds much better than any aftermarket that I have heard to date. My "modified OEM" exhaust on my F10 M5 also sounds better as it is paired with DPs. The result is a "loudness" level about 50% greater than OEM and at WOT it sounds like a very nicely "tuned" car, rather than a "roar". "Better" is such a subjective thing. It comes down to your preference. I think I am getting old...

I'll confess that I am considering pairing and Akra with my 2014 M6 comp pkg and DPs. It is louder but IMO it still seems to have a "tuned" sound to it. Prob is that I can't seem to find anyone local who has one so that I can hear it in person. If anyone does, please let me know. I know how I am and there is a good chance I drop $8K and then hate it and dump it for half!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Here is a cold start video of a stock M5, same color as mine. Sounds pretty good from outside the car. The car is intended to be luxurious which means a certain amount of soundproofing, that is why the piped in the sound. It sounds good to the bystanders, that is for sure. I have had plenty of people compliment the sound it makes.

I am pretty sure the car in this video has an E-race rear section...

It might even be Coldlist's M5

Don't ask how I figured that out
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black

Last edited by mwlmd; 08-14-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I am pretty sure the car in that video has a E-race rear section...

It might even be Coldlist's M5

Don't ask how I figured that out

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

its so not stock how could it be misconstrued as stock (not saying you said it was)
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0