08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Exhaust Explanation

I've been meaning to post this for some time, but just haven't gotten around to it until now. I read all of these posts about the M5 exhaust being too tame and seeing a lot people change out the M5's exhaust for something louder. I also see a lot of posts saying that they wouldn't necessarily buy Mercs or Jags, but both MB and Jaguar do the exhaust the right way.

Why does exhaust sound matter so much? I believe the M5's stock exhaust is loud enough and other than pissing my neighbors off, what's the point? When I had my 550, I used to live in a condo building with guys who had Camaros, C63, Corvette, and Mustangs. I swear those guys would rev their engines and race down the street after midnight every other night. I almost had a Clint Eastwood Gran Torino moment and yelled "Get off my lawn!", but I'm not that old and they were in the street but you get my point. Other than being obnoxious, why is all the exhaust noise necessary? I know all of this comes down to personal preference, but I always thought bad boys moved in silence and puffing out one's chest was best suited for Mustang, CTS-V, and any other driver who would rather be heard than passed by quicker than they could say "WTF was that!" So, since this is my first M and somewhat sports car, I'm open to being enlightened by the masses...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Aural pleasure

For me, it has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks.
      08-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

For one, when you buy a performance car you not only want to feel the power, but the sound is what makes you appreciate the car even more.
It doesn't mean you have to roar through residential areas and annoy home owners. That would be childish. The rest of us enjoy the sound on a open road or track.
Secondly, most aftermarket exhausts free up extra horsepower by increasing the exhaust gas flow and since we get used to current amount of hp very fast we tend to want more and more.
Up to this day my favorite sounding BMW is the e39 M5 with muffler delete mod.
      08-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson1906 View Post
I've been meaning to post this for some time, but just haven't gotten around to it until now. I read all of these posts about the M5 exhaust being too tame and seeing a lot people change out the M5's exhaust for something louder. I also see a lot of posts saying that they wouldn't necessarily buy Mercs or Jags, but both MB and Jaguar do the exhaust the right way.

Why does exhaust sound matter so much? I believe the M5's stock exhaust is loud enough and other than pissing my neighbors off, what's the point? When I had my 550, I used to live in a condo building with guys who had Camaros, C63, Corvette, and Mustangs. I swear those guys would rev their engines and race down the street after midnight every other night. I almost had a Clint Eastwood Gran Torino moment and yelled "Get off my lawn!", but I'm not that old and they were in the street but you get my point. Other than being obnoxious, why is all the exhaust noise necessary? I know all of this comes down to personal preference, but I always thought bad boys moved in silence and puffing out one's chest was best suited for Mustang, CTS-V, and any other driver who would rather be heard than passed by quicker than they could say "WTF was that!" So, since this is my first M and somewhat sports car, I'm open to being enlightened by the masses...
I hear what you are saying. I would stick with the stock exhaust if I were you. The power gains are negligible. It all comes down to personal preference.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Aural pleasure

For me, it has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks.

Exactly----

Sound adds to the visceral driving experience that these cars should produce. If the OP feels that we all want sound to piss off others he is greatly mistaken. Sound is no less a part of the driving experience to me than is handling, speed, chassis response, steering etc. Its all part of the process of enjoying and driving a car vs just getting from point A to B. Some cars have more than others and its all subjective to an individual's needs. But the majority here feels that the F10 is lacking thus the feedback and necessity to mod the exhaust.

I have had many a fast car but the better sounding slower cars have been more rewarding to me. Case in point is my C63 Black, not as fast as the F10 let alone the F13 but the sound and aural feedback creates a better yet slower driving experience. The R8 is another amazing sounding machine I have that was much slower than my Turbo PDK but the sound makes it a fave of mine. If its too loud for my neighbors then they are too old.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 Lime Rock '14 M5

I'm closer to you in that I am much less experienced from a technical standpoint than a lot of the enthusiasts on this site but can give you my perspective - I actually posted a question last night specifically about the F10 M5 exhaust note and how it was disappointing relative to what I had expected (I have had my '14 M5 for 3 full days btw).

Compared to the raw uninhibited roar of the naturally aspirated e92 M3 which I also own (and was my point of reference) the M5 exhaust notes are tame and not very fulfilling. From a purely sound/exhaust note standpoint, if the M3 I have is a tiger, the f10 M5 is a puma - that is the relative difference IMO.

The point isn't to be obnoxious driving down the street in my neighborhood (i agree with your comment on this) but the exhaust notes/sound element is a big part of the driving experience (for me) and is part of the thrill of driving a street legal, luxury sports car with racing capability. Of course it doesn't hurt that the roar of my M3 attracts a ton of attention driving around town but that isn't the primary motivator.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh53 View Post
I'm closer to you in that I am much less experienced from a technical standpoint than a lot of the enthusiasts on this site but can give you my perspective - I actually posted a question last night specifically about the F10 M5 exhaust note and how it was disappointing relative to what I had expected (I have had my '14 M5 for 3 full days btw).

Compared to the raw uninhibited roar of the naturally aspirated e92 M3 which I also own (and was my point of reference) the M5 exhaust notes are tame and not very fulfilling. From a purely sound/exhaust note standpoint, if the M3 I have is a tiger, the f10 M5 is a puma - that is the relative difference IMO.

The point isn't to be obnoxious driving down the street in my neighborhood (i agree with your comment on this) but the exhaust notes/sound element is a big part of the driving experience (for me) and is part of the thrill of driving a street legal, luxury sports car with racing capability. Of course it doesn't hurt that the roar of my M3 attracts a ton of attention driving around town but that isn't the primary motivator.
Does your M5 have the Comp pkg and lighting pkg?
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I'm glad you brought this up. Because I want my ///M car to make me feel like I'm driving one of these every single F'ing day. It's that simple.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I compromised by getting only downpipes and wiring the exhaust values open, only sounds crazy (enough for me) during WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackson1906 View Post

To each his own...I personally like aggressive sounding exhausts....but not too loud and obnoxious and I have very little tolerance for drone. But an exhaust sound is just one aspect of a car. Why do people change wheels...add aesthetic pieces, lower the car, add stereo equipment or try to derive more performance. It is all about trying to make an already very good car fit your personal preferences.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Also, because owning the loudest M5 on the planet also allows me to achieve "jerk" status. Lol!!

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...-studies-find/

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
KKS53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 Lime Rock '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Does your M5 have the Comp pkg and lighting pkg?
Yes it does
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
When you were a kid and playing with your hotwheels, what sound did you make?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. Because I want my ///M car to make me feel like I'm driving one of these every single F'ing day. It's that simple.

Have you ever been to a Grand Prix (F1 race)?

The sound is INSANE

What doesn't really come through in videos is the pops and crackles on upshifts and downshifts!!! Those are like gunshots!!!

Was at the Monaco GP this year and the sound is just awesome

To the OP:

I would compare the desire for "more" exhaust sound with the difference between listening to your favourite music on CD and going to a concert. To most, it's enough to listen to it on CD, to others the concert gives a different dimension to it

Or, maybe a better analogy: Listening to your favourite music at 2 on a crap sound system or listening to it at 9 on a state of the art sound system
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Without doubt, the best response to any post anywhere for a very long time!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
cjackson1906
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 GC & 2019 M5C

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
That is a very good point and if it's about re-creating those days of childhood Hot Wheels' dreams, I totally get it. As I said earlier, I know it has to do w/personal preference, but I wanted to know if I was missing anything else besides the sound.

greentrbo95gst brought up something I had heard but wasn't really sure was true regarding an increase in HP based on the type of exhaust. Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Also, because owning the loudest M5 on the planet also allows me to achieve "jerk" status. Lol!!

hahahahahaha! They REALLY needed clips of M exhausts in that video.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
aural
huh huh Beavis..he said "oral" huh huh -lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:

http://jalopnik.com/science-confirms...wor-1120783177

read some of the comments too. Hilarious
      08-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Ugh..this stinking thread has me sooo confused! I am very torn with ordering the Akra for my F13 CP due to arrive in a few weeks! On my F10 M5 I went through 4 exhausts including the OEM in 4 months. Ended up with modified OEM, which sounds great with my DP. I think I want to be sportier on my M6. Exhausts are my downfall....I NEVER seem to get it right and the decision kills me! I go back and forth from "LOVE loud" to "too obnoxious for me"......I think I am fighting my age!

I guess I should do it. For one lucky board member it means a cheap Akra for sale if I don't like it!

NOTHING worse than waiting on a car. All you do is think about what else you can buy. Here I am thinking about going from AW to MCB. I am not as big a fan of the SMB but love the MCB on the M5. Never saw it on an M6 but I bet it would look sick with the full Vorsteiner CF Aero kit (already ordered) and my new ADV1 mate/liquid smoke wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Ugh..this stinking thread has me sooo confused! I am very torn with ordering the Akra for my F13 CP due to arrive in a few weeks! On my F10 M5 I went through 4 exhausts including the OEM in 4 months. Ended up with modified OEM, which sounds great with my DP. I think I want to be sportier on my M6. Exhausts are my downfall....I NEVER seem to get it right and the decision kills me! I go back and forth from "LOVE loud" to "too obnoxious for me"......I think I am fighting my age!

I guess I should do it. For one lucky board member it means a cheap Akra for sale if I don't like it!

NOTHING worse than waiting on a car. All you do is think about what else you can buy. Here I am thinking about going from AW to MCB. I am not as big a fan of the SMB but love the MCB on the M5. Never saw it on an M6 but I bet it would look sick with the full Vorsteiner CF Aero kit (already ordered) and my new ADV1 mate/liquid smoke wheels.
Dude, RPi GTM Exhaust sounds much more aggressive than Akrapovic. It's really not that loud unless you get on the throttle. Oh and the Coldstarts are Loud but then again you are Senor ColdList.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Sort of a quiet humming sound, like an electric motor. I guess I was ahead of my time.
Appreciate 0