BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-29-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
godlye
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

2014 F10 M5 Engine Failure NEED ADVICE

Hi everyone, I'm seeking advice on the engine failure on my 2014 F10 M5.

A few weeks back, I started the car to go to work in the morning and noticed some rough idling without a CEL (Please keep in mind that I drove the car the night before without any issues). I drove about 5 miles to work and parked the car there. Called my local indy shop who told me to keep monitoring it. I go to drive it home and right when I pull out from work I get a CEL and drivetrain malfunction. I immediately tried to drive to my indy but made it about 2 more miles until the CEL started blinking, so I pulled over and had it towed.

They did some diagnosis and determined they thought it was fuel injectors (which are covered via BMW's 10 year warranty extension) and advised me to send it to BMW to have them replaced under warranty.

Upon getting to BMW, they determined there was rod material in the oil filter and that they needed to do further testing. Eventually, they let me know that they were replacing a failed fuel pump (also under warranty extension) and that they believed the failed pump caused fuel to get into the oil and destroy the engine. They said this should be covered by BMW due to the fuel pump being covered.

BMW NA sent out an engineer who apparently determined that the DME was faulty and they are now refusing to cover any of this under warranty. Here is what my estimate says:

"FOUND CLICKING NOISE/ACTIVATION FROM BANK 2 INJECTORS WITH ENGINE OFF. SWAPPED DIGITAL MOTOR ELECTRONICS MODULES AND FOUND CLICKING FOLLOWED BANK 2 DME, INDICATING INTERNALLY FAILED DME. HEAVY FUEL CONTAMINATION IN THE CYLINDERS AND ENGINE OIL HAS CAUSED CONSEQUENTIAL INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE. THE CYLINDER WALLS ARE WASHED OUT AND ROD BEARINGS HAVE FAILED/DRAGGING/EXCESSIVE FRICTION. ENGINE WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED."

My question is, do you guys think this makes any sense? Why would the dealership replace the fuel pump without even checking the DME? Additionally, how do they know the failed pump did not contribute to the DME failure?

They quoted me $47k for an engine replacement and I'm having a hard time believing it was really the DME that was ultimately repsonsible. If it really was, I can accept this as being my responsibility, but I'm just wanting to make sure that's actually what happened.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Car has around 43k miles

Last edited by godlye; 08-29-2023 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: adding details
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:42 PM   #2
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

Uhhh definitely not making sense , it’s evident the injectors fail on these motors all the time and DMEs don’t just fail . Also you can’t swap dmes from bank to bank as ones a master and the others a slave it would have to be programmed to do so which I’m sure they didn’t do . They clearly don’t want to cover this extensive bill and when you say engineer it’s actually a warranty rep that approves certain big ticket repairs ( they work for bmw USA ) . I worked at bmw for 6 years and have a little background on how things work . Unfortunately since this ( engineer ) has seen and documented things it’ll follow the car wherever you go . I would call bmw NA and explain this whole issue to see if they can goodwill the repair for you aka help you with the total . Goodluck

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60089.00
      08-30-2023, 04:28 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

DME fault? No way.