M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Has anyone read this Edmunds review? (might be repost)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m5/2013/road-test.html

ouch! someone woke up and ate lots of hater-tots the day this was written.

My favorite is the ending:

"Where's the excitement? Where's the visceral thrill? Where's the M5's sinister evil twin?

Oh, that's right, it's down the street at the Cadillac dealer. It's called the CTS-V."

Last edited by avi8tir; 12-06-2012 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m5/2013/road-test.html

I'm sorry, but anyone that chooses a Cadillac over an M5 simply cant afford an M5... or they're a redneck that still refuses to by non-american... just like their pappy did.
Hi, I used to own a CTS-V and now I own an M5. They're both great cars with different approaches to super sedan status. The CTS-V is huge fun and offers a more direct visceral driving experience on the track while being very easy to drive on the street. That's why automobile magazine reviewers often prefer it to the more detached, robotic but insanely capable M5. I like my M5 a lot, but I liked my CTS-V as well and wouldn't be unhappy to still have it in my garage.

And I can afford to buy any car I want.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
avi8tir
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
Hi, I used to own a CTS-V and now I own an M5. They're both great cars with different approaches to super sedan status. The CTS-V is huge fun and offers a more direct visceral driving experience on the track while being very easy to drive on the street. That's why automobile magazine reviewers often prefer it to the more detached, robotic but insanely capable M5. I like my M5 a lot, but I liked my CTS-V as well and wouldn't be unhappy to still have it in my garage.

And I can afford to buy any car I want.
So, would you trade your 2013 M5 for a CTS-V?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

I think he saying you crossed the line on the redneck comment, and what who can afford what?? Just not too cool, and rather immature on a public forum. my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
avi8tir
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
I think he saying you crossed the line on the redneck comment, and what who can afford what?? Just not too cool, and rather immature on a public forum. my 2 cents
Take it for what its worth, didnt mean anything by it. Im quite a sarcastic person so I guess it didnt come through that way. Comment removed.

Statistically speaking, I can guarantee you that most people that buy a CTS-V would buy an M5 or an E63 if they could.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
MakeEmDrool
MD, PhD, and OPP
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, F10 M5 on zee wei

Anyone can use statistics to prove their point.....82% of people know that...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I have actually been fortunate enough to drive a CTS-V of a close friend of mine (albeit a wagon) It's a badass car for sure! Just love the noise it makes. Rear headroom was pretty bad but cargo space was great. It's also a 6spd which made it that much more fun. Can't wait to break in the M5 and compare the two.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
Just to add to the 2 cents... the caddy's resale value and cost of repairs make it a highly unpropable purchase. Any one who's owned one should be able to confirm this. Unless you have money like THAT lol.
      12-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
Boca
Rep
Drives: Garage Empty

The M5 is a magnificent car. I don't know why it has been so maligned in the press. But I never listen to magazine reviews as part of their income comes directly from the manufacturers in terms of advertising, etc, etc.

I have either owned or have had extensive seat time in all the cars that compete in the M5 segment and IMPO the M5 lacks for nothing. Ultimately, that's why I bought the M5. However, I will say BMW must improve on their customer service. But that's a topic for another thread
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

the cadillac may be a good car, but it certainly is a brute. before i get into my M5 i always start to smile of joy when looking at it, outside and inside.
the M5 is extremely capable, just not the most involving drive. if you want the latter (and i am definitely in that segment, at least as a second drive) then just get a real sports car. ferrari 458, lambo gallardo, porsche 911 (GT3 at best) or the likes but not a cadillac, for god's sake!!!
peter
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

On an m5 board I think it will be hard to ask any member to put any other car above an m5... I think there will be reasons why others are better but always counter-stated as to why the m5 is the best..

I can say I love this car as much as my previous m3.... I have completely forgotten its a 4 door, I think I may have opened the 2 back doors once
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
skrambles297
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 (Black Sapphire) F10

It's interesting to see how the new m5 divides opinion.

For me, this Chris Harris review is "on the money":

He has also written: "If the M5 feels nothing like as sharp [as the Nissan R35 GTR], you quickly alter your point of reference and realise that it is possibly the most complete fast car on sale. Its operating window is unprecedented -at any one time, but not simultaneously, you can choose: 190mph, crazy power slides, 25mpg, snap-crack gearshifts, near-silence and, of course, fake engine noise." Spot on again!

In the UK, the Cadillac is not a real contender. The real challenge is from the E63 AMG.
But, for me, there's more to enjoying a car than just having one which makes a loud noise in a straight line. The m5 offers the best all-round package of power, handling, refinement, aesthetics etc. It does feel big, but then you'd expect it to and it doesn't feel that big compared to an e60 or even my 911. In fact, I think it's 6cm narrower than my 997 911 turbo and only 6 cm longer than my e60 m5.

The Edmund review is odd. Was their experience marred by driving a manual?

The following comments just don't fit with the M5 that I drive:

"This is apparent out in the real world, where the M5 is fairly gutless below 3,000 rpm. ...
Below 3,000 rpm the V8's off-kilter note sounds more like a flat-4 with a mild aftermarket exhaust than a throaty V8. That's not to say it sounds bad. Just different."

Did they actually drive an m5??? Mine has LOADS of torque from very low revs and sounds like a V8.
Appreciate 0