M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Has anyone had their OEM steel brake rotors and pads replaced under warranty yet?

I was just wondering.

A little while ago I clicked over 30,000 miles on my 2013 M5 and my dealership says that it's still not time to replace the brakes under the BMW standard 4 year/50,000 mile Maintenance Plan. This is after taking the M5 to the track several times (including a few laps on the Nurburgring), dozens and dozens of times braking hard on mountain roads and over 30,000 miles of braking use. There have been several times I have made my brakes smoke and I gotta say that my pads and rotors still seem to be going strong, but I'm a little worried that they are due for a change soon and the dealer is holding out. I wonder what the tolerances are for pad and rotor wear on the F10 M5, that will indicate a change by the dealership. Am I going to make it to 50,000 miles before they need to be changed? Lol! If that is the case, then what's the point of Carbon Ceramic Brakes since BMW recommends that the pads be changed on the CCB's every 50,000 miles and the Carbon rotors every 100,000 miles? Well beside the brake fade, better braking performance on the track, and no brake dust, of course. I installed ATE Super Blue(Amber) last year and I can't honestly say I've experienced brake fade issues with the standard steel brakes on the F10 M5 yet.

Or how about across the pond? Anybody in the UK or Europe with a 2012 F10 M5 that has had to replace their rotors and pads yet?

I guess the main reason why I am asking is because I'm contemplating taking my M5 out for more track days this summer and I just feel my pads and rotors must be nearing the end of their life, but the dealership won't make the call yet to replace them. I'd really rather not have to pay for new pads and/or rotors out of my own pocket before I head out for another track day this summer. Although I do want to upgrade to better pads for the track. Also anybody have any recommendations for brake pads for the track that will fit the F10 M5?

Anybody have any insight on this?

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Dave,

I had my fronts replaced under warranty at 24000 miles due to steering wheel wobble/vibration during braking.

Are you thinking of attending VIR in April?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Had my pads and rotors replaced out of pocket after a 2 day HPDE track session at Watkins Glen. (cost $3k). The car had 2500 miles on it and they did not cover this under their maintenance plan. The red brake light came on and the car felt like sh!t until brakes were fixed.

I have been contemplating another track day but will not do this until there are aftermarket track pads. The car is just too heavy and the heat just roasted everything (I ran under MDM). I called Turner last week and there still are no replacements for OEM pads. Pagid is supposedly coming out with something later this month and I am on the waitlist for this.

I did push the M5 from 140-->70 pretty much with threshold braking each lap and after lap 2 there was noticeable fade. Smaller tracks may not allow the M5 to get up to those speeds and the durability may be better than what I experienced, but I learned my lesson.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007
Dave,

I had my fronts replaced under warranty at 24000 miles due to steering wheel wobble/vibration during braking.

No, actually I don't think I want to do VIR again. I'm thinking Watkins Glen this summer. Maybe Lime Rock too. We'll see.

Thanks for the update on your brakes.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0
Had my pads and rotors replaced out of pocket after a 2 day HPDE track session at Watkins Glen. (cost $3k). The car had 2500 miles on it and they did not cover this under their maintenance plan. The red brake light came on and the car felt like sh!t until brakes were fixed.

I have been contemplating another track day but will not do this until there are aftermarket track pads. The car is just too heavy and the heat just roasted everything (I ran under MDM). I called Turner last week and there still are no replacements for OEM pads. Pagid is supposedly coming out with something later this month and I am on the waitlist for this.

I did push the M5 from 140-->70 pretty much with threshold braking each lap and after lap 2 there was noticeable fade. Smaller tracks may not allow the M5 to get up to those speeds and the durability may be better than what I experienced, but I learned my lesson.
Yeah I've been waiting for my red brake light to come on, I'm not sure it ever will. I thought my 6,000 mile road trip across America would've helped but it didn't.

Interesting about Turner too. But yeah brake change under 2,500 miles would seem suspect under warranty. I feel like I've definitely put my car through hard driving but have not seen my Free BMW Maintenance Plan kick in yet.

Thanks for the info dude.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0

IND has some alternative pads which seem to be very good. They offer a full range of compounds for track and non track use.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
@rpim5

All my previous cars had brake replacements at 8-10k miles. I'm a bit surprised by the M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
PvsNP
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/2014 M5

M3 is the same way, if you drive casual, it won't require the first brake job until 60,000 miles. I'm guessing with the bigger and better brakes, M5 is even better. There is not much you can do other than drive the car as hard as you can, but they are not going to change the brakes unless the computer tells them to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007
Dave,

No, actually I don't think I want to do VIR again. I'm thinking Watkins Glen this summer. Maybe Lime Rock too. We'll see.

Hey Dave let me know if you're going to go to Lime Rock. I grew up an hour or so from there and would love to take my M5 there. I'll bet you'll find others on this board who's be interested (for me availability depends on OPTEMPO). Thanks bro.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Boston BMW CCA event at Watkins Glen is scheduled for 9/17-9/18. let me know if you make the trek!
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Not an M5, but for my E90 M3 still have ~25% left on my original front rotors and pads at 67k miles. Rears were replaced right around 50k miles under warranty. This is with 6 track days, but my commute is 95% highway so that helps the wear a lot.

If you are curious, pull the wheels and use a caliper to measure thickness of the rotors and compare to the minimum thickness (stamped on the disc.) You can also ask the dealer the next time you take it in.
      03-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
IND has some alternative pads which seem to be very good. They offer a full range of compounds for track and non track use.
I'll check out IND stuff. Didn't know they carried brake pad stuff. Thanks bro. I should a come down to SoFlo and hang out sometime. Maybe I'll do another epic roadtrip and write up this summer.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Not an M5, but for my E90 M3 still have ~25% left on my original front rotors and pads at 67k miles. Rears were replaced right around 50k miles under warranty. This is with 6 track days, but my commute is 95% highway so that helps the wear a lot.

If you are curious, pull the wheels and use a caliper to measure thickness of the rotors and compare to the minimum thickness (stamped on the disc.) You can also ask the dealer the next time you take it in.
Damn, that is crazy. 67,000 miles? Maybe I should just find an empty road and beat on the car until the light shows up on my iDrive telling me to change my brakes. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
Boston BMW CCA event at Watkins Glen is scheduled for 9/17-9/18. let me know if you make the trek!
Hmmm.. ok! I'll look into that one. Maybe we can split a hotel room.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll check out IND stuff. Didn't know they carried brake pad stuff. Thanks bro. I should a come down to SoFlo and hang out sometime. Maybe I'll do another epic roadtrip and write up this summer.
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...-m5-brake-pads

Last time I spoke with them they were offering a discount to whoever tries and installs first. I passed, because to me it doesn't make sense to opt out of the free maintenance plan on brakes.

BTW I have decided to buy the Dinan Sways. With 15% discount this month, it makes sense. Seems like they will perform more than the CP sways.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Ok so I found these.

https://www.gmpperformance.com/index...ail&PID=326051

Who knows about track pads? I'd be looking for something that is good for the track but still usable on the street but better performance than OEM M5 pads overall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...-m5-brake-pads

Last time I spoke with them they were offering a discount to whoever tries and installs first. I passed, because to me it doesn't make sense to opt out of the free maintenance plan on brakes.

BTW I have decided to buy the Dinan Sways. With 15% discount this month, it makes sense. Seems like they will perform more than the CP sways.
OH SNAP! 15%?! Fook! Haha! I think I might try the Comp Pack first and then the Dinan. So I'll be able to speak on both. I do have connections with Dinan anyways, so I should be able to get a nice discount if I decide to pull the trigger. Let us know how that 79% stiffer sway bar feels!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OH SNAP! 15%?! Fook! Haha! I think I might try the Comp Pack first and then the Dinan. So I'll be able to speak on both. I do have connections with Dinan anyways, so I should be able to get a nice discount if I decide to pull the trigger. Let us know how that 79% stiffer sway bar feels!
Man that's hard core. I couldn't imagine buying 2 sets of sway bars. Even if you can resell the hardware, you're paying labor twice which is about $500 on a set of front and rear sways.

My understanding is that CP sways are only 15% stiffer. I doubt that's enough to make a meaningful difference. The CP reduces roll through a combination of sways, stiffer springs, and stiffer dampeners. In my car, I am depending only on the sways since I don't want stiffer springs or dampeners. So I think it makes sense for me to have a more hardcore set of sways than the CP.

Any chance you can share your connections discount? I'm a poor immigrant...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un Gato Malodoro View Post
Hey Dave let me know if you're going to go to Lime Rock. I grew up an hour or so from there and would love to take my M5 there. I'll bet you'll find others on this board who's be interested (for me availability depends on OPTEMPO). Thanks bro.
We should make an outing of it. I am about an hour and a half away.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Man that's hard core. I couldn't imagine buying 2 sets of sway bars. Even if you can resell the hardware, you're paying labor twice which is about $500 on a set of front and rear sways.

My understanding is that CP sways are only 15% stiffer. I doubt that's enough to make a meaningful difference. The CP reduces roll through a combination of sways, stiffer springs, and stiffer dampeners. In my car, I am depending only on the sways since I don't want stiffer springs or dampeners. So I think it makes sense for me to have a more hardcore set of sways than the CP.

Any chance you can share your connections discount? I'm a poor immigrant...
PM'd you.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Damn, that is crazy. 67,000 miles? Maybe I should just find an empty road and beat on the car until the light shows up on my iDrive telling me to change my brakes. Lol!
CBS system is only an approximation. I actually had to get mine reset since it called for fronts recently. I checked and still have a lot of wear left.

If you really want to burn them down, no better way than hard driving at some track days.
      03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
We should make an outing of it. I am about an hour and a half away.
Shoot. Now I sense the beginning of an epic coordinated M5 strike at Lime Rock at some point this year. Let me look up some dates and info and stuff.

Appreciate 0