M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

High flow cats + Akra exhaust

Is the AMS catted downpipe the only option for our cars?
I'm trying to get some more sound out of my Akra system without going fully catless and would love to hear some suggestions. From what I've seen on here, waste gate noise only affected the earlier model M5's, correct?
Also, should I expect a check engine light and if yes then how to deal with that. The car has plenty of power so I'm not interested in messing with tuning. Wouldn't do anything beside Dinan which doesn't help with CEL anyway, just need to be able to pass state inspection without having to reinstall oem cats.

Your feedback is appreciated!
John
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep

I went ahead with the Catted version from AMS. Were most people able to install using the original O2 sensor harnesses?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333 View Post
I went ahead with the Catted version from AMS. Were most people able to install using the original O2 sensor harnesses?
I respect you don't want to to tune the car. That said, a mild tune would code 02 sensors out to pass state inspection.
I've just passed mine.

Also nice to turn off cold start.
      06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
M6Pilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC

Garage List
I have the fabspeed catted downpipes (200cell), they look really good and quality looks outstanding! I haven't decided on what tune yet, so they are not installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
Mr_M5Guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e60 M5

^^^^^ how much?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
sales@vivid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M5Guy View Post
^^^^^ how much?
Their sport cats retail for $2995. If you are interested in a set, shoot me a PM. I would be happy to get you forum member pricing on these.. And they are just as gorgeous in person!

-Ralph
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Pilot View Post
I have the fabspeed catted downpipes (200cell), they look really good and quality looks outstanding! I haven't decided on what tune yet, so they are not installed.
Hi! I have also purchased Fabspeed 200cell M6 downpipes. During the installation we have realized that one of the downpipe cannot be installed without relocating the o2 bung. We relocated the o2 bug (pre-cat) and fitted perfectly. Otherwise great product, car feels stronger and does not have any significant smell nor any CEL.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
M6Pilot
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL335i View Post
Hi! I have also purchased Fabspeed 200cell M6 downpipes. During the installation we have realized that one of the downpipe cannot be installed without relocating the o2 bung. We relocated the o2 bug (pre-cat) and fitted perfectly. Otherwise great product, car feels stronger and does not have any significant smell nor any CEL.
Interesting, Do you have any pictures you can show. I still haven't installed mine yet. Have you contacted fabspeed, I would have thought when making these after completion trying to install to make sure they fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:55 AM   #9
E39TOF10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

No cel without a tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep

Fit was perfect still no CEL after 2 long road trips and about a month and a half on them. Also absolutely no drone. Recommend getting the Exhaustmeister so you can open the valve and get loud and droney when you want but quiet when you want also. I really recommend this setup to anyone thinking about this. Awesome exotic tone that can get brutal with the touch of a button. Don't try to save money, just buy the alpha cats 300, they go in perfectly and no modification required. Put them in and don't look back
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
M6Pilot
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Just installed my Fabspeed 200 cell catted downpipes today ! Fitment was perfect
and no modification needed, other than a little prying on the brackets to help fitting into place. I only drove about 50 miles due to incoming rain. The sound is awesome, you can definitely hear the turbo spool more through the exhaust. I did not get the CEL either for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
phillyd
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 6MT

Quote:
Fit was perfect still no CEL after 2 long road trips and about a month and a half on them. Also absolutely no drone. Recommend getting the Exhaustmeister so you can open the valve and get loud and droney when you want but quiet when you want also. I really recommend this setup to anyone thinking about this. Awesome exotic tone that can get brutal with the touch of a button. Don't try to save money, just buy the alpha cats 300, they go in perfectly and no modification required. Put them in and don't look back
Hi Hov333 - I'm interested in getting a set of these. How have they held up over the past 8 months? Have you had any problems with emissions inspections?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep

Hey buddy. Overall it's been great. Having an exhaust with the valve is a must otherwise the car is just too loud for a daily driver. Opening the valve with the Exhaustmeister is the best way to get crazy for the weekends or when you're in the mood for more sound. I have experienced check engine light 3 times so far at random times but without any loss in power. The light has cleared itself within 24 hours so I wouldn't really worry about it.

It has been too cold around here to push the car and keep traction but I'll try to post a video for you soon. Stay tuned lol
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
Warrior75
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 convertible

Anyone know how the sound is between the catless and catted versions? I definitely want a more aggressive sound, would rather not deal with the odor, however, definitely not a deal breaker. Had headers, and full exhaust with no cats on my last convertible M6. Odor was pretty strong, but was worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior75 View Post
Anyone know how the sound is between the catless and catted versions? I definitely want a more aggressive sound, would rather not deal with the odor, however, definitely not a deal breaker. Had headers, and full exhaust with no cats on my last convertible M6. Odor was pretty strong, but was worth it for me.
The catted have a little bit more of a "crackle" to them and are certainly a bit louder.

Feel free to give me a call with any questions you may have (just ask for Bobby). Both products are on sale for one more day as apart of our March ///Madness sale!
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
phillyd
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 6MT

Quote:
Hey buddy. Overall it's been great. Having an exhaust with the valve is a must otherwise the car is just too loud for a daily driver. Opening the valve with the Exhaustmeister is the best way to get crazy for the weekends or when you're in the mood for more sound. I have experienced check engine light 3 times so far at random times but without any loss in power. The light has cleared itself within 24 hours so I wouldn't really worry about it.

It has been too cold around here to push the car and keep traction but I'll try to post a video for you soon. Stay tuned lol
I would love to see/hear a video, especially external sound under load. I'm thinking of a similar set up...Noelle DP + Exhaustmeister + stock exhaust. Sound-wise I think it should be a little tamer than your set up, but I'm hoping still aggressive.

I got my M5 a few months ago and had a C63 AMG before that. The M5 is better in every way except the sound. It's just too tame. I miss that low rumble/growl when cruising around at low speeds that used to turn heads. It was like driving a thundercloud. I used to get compliments on that all the time ("Man, your car sounds MEAN!")

Would love to recreate some of that meanness with my new beast.

Have you felt that the car performs differently with the AMS DPs? Is it more responsive/powerful?
Appreciate 0