M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #89
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Vegas please. I'll be there in early and middle of June.
I think I would go to Vegas even without my car.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #90
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

This thread died and so does Performing Imports website seem to have done as well...

http://www.performingimports.com/

Anyone know what happened with it?

Coldlist?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #91
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Well their FB page is still "alive" https://www.facebook.com/PerformingImports
In the past Coldlist was very active (a customer of them) but I haven't seen him in a while either
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #92
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Performing Imports website is up again.

Seems like their site and email was hijacked

From their FB account:

Quote:
e-1and1 domain registrar has hi-jacked our domain!!! They have Illegally taken control of performingimports.com as well as my e-mail account.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #93
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Coldlist:

I don't mean to dredge up a somewhat old thread but there was some good information in this thread and I wanted to add my $.02.

I admit that I have used dynos as a tool to measure before and after gains. It almost doesn't matter what the actual numbers are on a particular run...but the delta (change) is what is important. I can understand how modern ECUs can make it more difficult to get accurate dyno #'s with all the procedural stuff involved. That is also why I have a vbox to measure actual performance instead of seat-of-the-pants anecdotal performance (which I admit is still important and entertaining as well). I could care less how fast an F10 M5 does 0-60mph. What is more important to me (and others like me) is a car's rolling acceleration...in particular the 60-130mph times or a 100-200km/h times for our metric friends. At those speeds traction and technique (at least for a DCT or an automatic) become far less relevant and you are measuring the true power of the car. I have done these types of measurements for my CL65, CTS-V and GT-R with great success and have been able to use these datalogs to help diagnose problems in each one of these cars performance-wise. I plan to do the same with my M5.

I similarly use the 1/4 mile trap speed at the track to measure my cars' performance development. to me the 1/4 mile elapsed time is once again more of a measure of traction and technique than anything else. Now just as with the vbox, 1/4 mile trap speeds are not a perfect measurement tool...especially if you don't keep as many of the variables as close to the same as possible such as same track (timing equipment may not be set up precisely especially for trap speeds and can be off from one lane to the next even at the same track), same slope of road, same ambient conditions, same weight of the vehicle...etc. I try to log my fuel, use the same stretch of road, same weather conditions..etc, to help isolate the performance gains and mitigate the other factors that affect acceleration performance.

With all that said, I would LOVE to see some 60-130mph times for a tuned M5 over here in the US. If you are apprehensive about taking your car out on public roads to go that fast (totally understandable), you could maybe go to a drag strip and do a "soft launch" and take it up past 130mph using the "shutdown area". Most tracks have a more than sufficient braking zone area past the 1/4 mile, which you would likely need, since you probably aren't hitting 130mph before the 1/4 mile (as an aside Maryland Intl Raceway (MIR) had a long enough run off area for me to datalog my modded GT-R up to 156+mph when it was trapping 128+mph before shutting it down. So I (and I am sure others) would greatly appreciate anything you could do to help quantify the performance of this tune!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #94
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Not this thread again! Lol!

He won't help. I haven't seen Senor ColdList on this forum for months.

Don't worry though Tom as soon as ESS comes out with their tune, you can sleep soundly at night knowing that I will have videos, dynos and drag strip times galore to post up.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #95
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Not this thread again! Lol!

He won't help. I haven't seen Senor ColdList on this forum for months.

Don't worry though Tom as soon as ESS comes out with their tune, you can sleep soundly at night knowing that I will have videos, dynos and drag strip times galore to post up.
Happy I didn't end up springing on this, felt like this had scam written all over it. You had a guy that did nothing but defend (religiously almost) every single thing some guy said. No actual results were ever shown, you had to trust some random guy that of course disappears when all interest in this tune dries up.

Can't wait to see some REPUTABLE tunes come out, ones that don't need a spokesperson to defend 24/7 with no actual results and a bag of excuses.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #96
Tom C
Captain
Rep

I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt. As I stated above, I always like to test the claimed performance. I ran into issues tuning my old CL65. I got an ECU tune from someone who also claimed to have connections to AMG in Germany. I dynoed the car and it made 1 more peak hp and 40-50hp "below the curve". The guy claimed the same thing about how the US dynos are not accurate..blah..blah..blah. I took it to the track and saw modest increases in my trap speed. I ended up taking that tune off and went with Kleemann. I tested that one as well on the dyno. It gained about 20 peak hp. I then resent my ECU back to Kleemann USA and they tried another tune. It put down an increase of about 45rwhp over stock with almost 100rwhp down low. I was pleased (not ecstatic). I was happy that I didn't settle for a tune that was really substandard. but the only way you know what you are getting is to actually test it. but then again sometimes ignorance is bliss and it would be cheaper and easier if I was the type of person who could just accept everything I am told by others and be satisfied with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #97
Tom C
Captain
Rep

Interesting find tonight on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2013-...#ht_965wt_1021

A Georgia car with a Noelle tune and exhaust mods claiming 680hp...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #98
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Interesting find tonight on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2013-...#ht_965wt_1021

A Georgia car with a Noelle tune and exhaust mods claiming 680hp...
Hmm not his car, well except if he's repainted/wrapped it Imola red ... there was/is an Imola red F10 M5 in Ohio (I believe)

Looking at the ad it's the same garbage we've heard before , ie M Performance tune (from factory) and exhaust. Neither of these exists. Noelle is actually a reputable company and it seems they're getting a bar rap because of the way the US distributor is reselling their products (Noelle is using the same manufacturer for their modified mufflers/downpipes as BMW is using)

Not sure why ColdList has gone MIA...
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #99
Tom C
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Hmm not his car, well except if he's repainted/wrapped it Imola red ... there was/is an Imola red F10 M5 in Ohio (I believe)

Looking at the ad it's the same garbage we've heard before , ie M Performance tune (from factory) and exhaust. Neither of these exists. Noelle is actually a reputable company and it seems they're getting a bar rap because of the way the US distributor is reselling their products (Noelle is using the same manufacturer for their modified mufflers/downpipes as BMW is using)

I saw that it wasn't the same color...but I figured it might be Performing Imports handy-work.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #100
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Or here's the better question. What about the OP of this thread? bm5bullit.

I woulda thought that by now he would have gotten this tune on his M5, but he's made no mention of it. If he does have it, perhaps he could help out.

Me personally, I'm over specualating on which tunes are legit and which ones are not. I've been approached by and have conducted my own research of several tuners claiming different stuff over these past few months including but not limited to:

-Oetuning
-VFengineering
-Perfoming Imports
-Switzer
-Eurocharged
-Manhart Racing
-Even a dude that I know who can has been individually tuning BMW ECU's for years

My conclusion is that there is NO tuner out there that can give me exactly what I am looking for which is at the very least these things:

1. At least a 100hp gain to the wheels
2. Removal of the Top Speed Limiter
3. Removal of the Check Engine Light due to Catless Downpipes
4. Dyno-sheets/Drag Strip Times/vBox results to back up the power gains with only the tune installed and the rest of the M5/M6 completely bone stock
5. Specifically designed to run on U.S. Spec M5/M6's

ESS Tuning is the only company that I know of at this point that is currently working on providing all of the above mentioned things that I need from a tune, and they are not close to being done yet. Patience is key.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #101
Tom C
Captain
Rep

One thing that concerns me (and might throw a monkey wrench in what you want from a tune) is the fuel delivery system. It seems the high flow fuel pumps are occassionally not working correctly on stock cars (seems to be the cause of the dreaded drivetrain malfunction warning). Is a tuned M5 going to enounter the same issues?

Coming from the GT-R world and having real time analysis with a COBB Accessport we were able to see the injector duty cycle readings and had data showing that the stock fuel injectors would max out at just over 500whp (from a stock 420-430whp), especially in cold weather where the ECU would advance the timing and create greater power/fuel needs. No one has really addressesd this issue with M5 and its direct injection system. How much head room did BMW engineers leave in the fuel delivery system?

Last edited by Tom C; 06-04-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #102
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post

The car is orange...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #103
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13 View Post
The car is orange...
Coldlist's car was/is Silverstone. So at least it's not his car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #104
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13 View Post
The car is orange...
True. Close enough
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #105
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
We hang out every so often and complain that there are no good tunes out yet. We're sitting patiently waiting for the iND or GT Haus tune to come out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #106
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I woulda thought that by now he would have gotten this tune on his M5, but he's made no mention of it. If he does have it, perhaps he could help out.

Me personally, I'm over specualating on which tunes are legit and which ones are not. I've been approached by and have conducted my own research of several tuners claiming different stuff over these past few months including but not limited to:

-Oetuning
-VFengineering
-Perfoming Imports
-Switzer
-Eurocharged
-Manhart Racing
-Even a dude that I know who can has been individually tuning BMW ECU's for years

My conclusion is that there is NO tuner out there that can give me exactly what I am looking for which is at the very least these things:

1. At least a 100hp gain to the wheels
2. Removal of the Top Speed Limiter
3. Removal of the Check Engine Light due to Catless Downpipes
4. Dyno-sheets/Drag Strip Times/vBox results to back up the power gains with only the tune installed and the rest of the M5/M6 completely bone stock
5. Specifically designed to run on U.S. Spec M5/M6's

ESS Tuning is the only company that I know of at this point that is currently working on providing all of the above mentioned things that I need from a tune, and they are not close to being done yet. Patience is key.
I still believe that this is one of the two best tunes available out there especially considering Ron's extensive background. But, yes, no one that has the tune is willing (or maybe they don't care to) to make any V-box or dragstrip runs. The fact that he had his tune for quite a while now and at least one forum member verified that there is a substantial bump in power; is good enough for me. Given the fact that all the other "tuners" are having this many developmental stumbling blocks supports most of the statements that Ron mentioned to me in our conversations.

All things being considered with the current state of the "tuner" market; anyone still interested in a Group Buy?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #107
M-bitious
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

That is not true. Manhart got almost all this sorted and they are now trying to crack the limiter. My car has 650 RWHP, vbox runs, dyno clips, video of race against C63 AMG. I think they are further with development than ESS. And before ESS are done, I can guarantee you my car will produce even more bhp. Development is under way. And they tune in the USA when there is a group buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #108
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bitious View Post
That is not true. Manhart got almost all this sorted and they are now trying to crack the limiter. My car has 650 RWHP, vbox runs, dyno clips, video of race against C63 AMG. I think they are further with development than ESS. And before ESS are done, I can guarantee you my car will produce even more bhp. Development is under way. And they tune in the USA when there is a group buy.
I have no doubt that you MHR tune is every bit as good as you say it is as I am still having email correspondence with Franz on the Group tune. But, three months ago he would only do the tune via shipment back to him which is a big inconvenience for me (not to mention what would happen if the dealer "flashed" over the tune). What do you do then. Of course you would have to mail it back.

We M5 customers in the US are at a big disadvantage in that respect. That is the main reason that I still think that the PI tune is a viable option. Ron can provide the tune, the downpipes, OEM performance exhaust and the support to go with it. Now, if we could just get some of his existing customers to verify with V-Box runs.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #109
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5bullit View Post
I have no doubt that you MHR tune is every bit as good as you say it is as I am still having email correspondence with Franz on the Group tune. But, three months ago he would only do the tune via shipment back to him which is a big inconvenience for me (not to mention what would happen if the dealer "flashed" over the tune). What do you do then. Of course you would have to mail it back.

We M5 customers in the US are at a big disadvantage in that respect. That is the main reason that I still think that the PI tune is a viable option. Ron can provide the tune, the downpipes, OEM performance exhaust and the support to go with it. Now, if we could just get some of his existing customers to verify with V-Box runs.
I also believe that the PI tune (which really is a Noelle tune from Germany) is a genuine tune that gives measurable gains. The advantage for US M5 owners is that the tune is supplied by a "local" company. BTW, overnight shipping is available to Europe and PI is quite a distance from Texas as well (but, obviously still in the same country and within custom borders etc.).

But the real advantage of the MHR are their different stages and proven track record. Stage IV has some features you won't get with the PI tune and produces more HP...

Ideally you should have a "local" MHR representative in the US
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #110
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I also believe that the PI tune (which really is a Noelle tune from Germany) is a genuine tune that gives measurable gains. The advantage for US M5 owners is that the tune is supplied by a "local" company. BTW, overnight shipping is available to Europe and PI is quite a distance from Texas as well (but, obviously still in the same country and within custom borders etc.).

But the real advantage of the MHR are their different stages and proven track record. Stage IV has some features you won't get with the PI tune and produces more HP...

Ideally you should have a "local" MHR representative in the US
I agree with all of your points with one exception. The shipment of the DME to a location outside of the US. I still have not been able to confirm the price of a new DME (not to mention what the process would be to flash this to your VIN) but any mistake or hiccup with the shipping would cause you a lot of heartburn.
Appreciate 0