BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-23-2023, 10:49 PM   #1
miraqi
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 N54, E92 N55, F10 M5,

CarPlay options

Hey all, returning m5 owner. Sold my 38k mile M5 to carvana 3 years ago when the prices hiked and picked up a clean example a few days ago 13 M5.

I am wondering what options i have for CarPlay that aren’t $700-1000. I am aware of bimmertech but don’t want to pay that much especially when looking through the f80 forums and seeing it’s pretty much an aliexpress unit.

Has anyone bought an aliexpress unit for CarPlay and used it on their m5s ? How’s the functionality and are you experiencing any audio issues?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2023, 10:57 PM   #2
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

I’m interested in this also…. I am 2 seconds from ordering NBT EVO. If I could save money I wouldn’t mind.
      09-25-2023, 09:29 AM   #3
byebyev8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i f12 m6

I have the seciane 12.3 android unit in my M6. Works perfectly picked it up for 350.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyev8 View Post
I have the seciane 12.3 android unit in my M6. Works perfectly picked it up for 350.
Did you order from there site ? It’s the pop out screen ? How long have you had it installed ?

Thank you
      09-26-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
miraqi
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Brandoe View Post
I’m interested in this also…. I am 2 seconds from ordering NBT EVO. If I could save money I wouldn’t mind.
I think I’m gonna go ahead with an aliexpress unit specifically the road top one. Seems to work for the f80 folks and I’ll let you know once it comes and install it how well it works.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraqi View Post
I think I’m gonna go ahead with an aliexpress unit specifically the road top one. Seems to work for the f80 folks and I’ll let you know once it comes and install it how well it works.
I’m 100%! Interested in this info !

Thank you
      09-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
BoostedAvus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2016 M5 comp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40432150161...mis&media=COPY

I got this one for like $180 shipped. installed it myself in about 2 hours or so. was really simple and works great. I have had zero issues with it.
      09-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #8
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
This is what you want. I sold mine to a forum member so they can speak for it as well. It is about an hour install, probably the best bangs for the bucks without going full retrofit. Worked great, fit was amazing as almost stock looking, touch function worked great. You can probably source it from another site, even alibaba.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/bmw-5-ser...sb-multimedia/
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 02:27 PM   #9
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
This is what you want. I sold mine to a forum member so they can speak for it as well. It is about an hour install, probably the best bangs for the bucks without going full retrofit. Worked great, fit was amazing as almost stock looking, touch function worked great. You can probably source it from another site, even alibaba.

https://4x4shop.ca/product/bmw-5-ser...sb-multimedia/
Im looking at that one but im not sure how the microphone works. Ive read some people say use the phone on the oem idrive for calls with the stock microphone and use android auto on the android screen for everything else. where do you set what to use with what and how? i don't really want to add an external microphone.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 04:13 PM   #10
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post
Im looking at that one but im not sure how the microphone works. Ive read some people say use the phone on the oem idrive for calls with the stock microphone and use android auto on the android screen for everything else. where do you set what to use with what and how? i don't really want to add an external microphone.
Correct the build in mic wasn't that great. For the person on the other end quality wasn't great. I wouldn't use for your work conference call but for random calls it works. As other have pointed you can connect the bluetooth to the OEM system and use it for phone calls. I am not sure if the mic was updated on those latest systems. Again is trade-off for the price and integration
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 05:25 PM   #11
miraqi
No_Country
Rep

Just did the install. Went with the road top unit but found a seller in the US for the same price as Ali express and got it in 3 days.

Took me 2 hours to install and it wasn’t hard at all besides finding a spot for the actual MMI to sit. That took me a few tries and i almost gave up and went with a solution on YouTube for dropping the glove box and air bag and all that. But i didn’t want that mess and i played around with it until it sat flush on the right side above the airbag. If i didn’t have a hard time finding a spot for it it would’ve taken an hour barely.

Took it for a test drive and it works well. Only thing i can comment that i don’t like is using the voice command button on the steering wheel prompts siri but it gets cut off by Sirius XM or the radio or something which sucks but whatever.

If you don’t want to drop $800 on a unit from bimmer tech, I’d go with this but we’ll see how it holds up in the long run.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 06:22 PM   #12
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraqi View Post
Just did the install. Went with the road top unit but found a seller in the US for the same price as Ali express and got it in 3 days.

Took me 2 hours to install and it wasn’t hard at all besides finding a spot for the actual MMI to sit. That took me a few tries and i almost gave up and went with a solution on YouTube for dropping the glove box and air bag and all that. But i didn’t want that mess and i played around with it until it sat flush on the right side above the airbag. If i didn’t have a hard time finding a spot for it it would’ve taken an hour barely.

Took it for a test drive and it works well. Only thing i can comment that i don’t like is using the voice command button on the steering wheel prompts siri but it gets cut off by Sirius XM or the radio or something which sucks but whatever.

If you don’t want to drop $800 on a unit from bimmer tech, I’d go with this but we’ll see how it holds up in the long run.
Ahhh seems nothing is perfect… keep this thread updated after some time using. I may just spend the money and go full Evo NBT bcus little things will bother me.

Good job
      09-30-2023, 07:29 PM   #13
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Correct the build in mic wasn't that great. For the person on the other end quality wasn't great. I wouldn't use for your work conference call but for random calls it works. As other have pointed you can connect the bluetooth to the OEM system and use it for phone calls. I am not sure if the mic was updated on those latest systems. Again is trade-off for the price and integration
I think i may have figured it out. on your phone you can turn calls and/or audio off for each bluetooth connection. So you can turn calls off for the android head unit. at least i am assuming how this is going to work.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #14
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Brandoe View Post
Ahhh seems nothing is perfect… keep this thread updated after some time using. I may just spend the money and go full Evo NBT bcus little things will bother me.

Good job
I had several Android based CarPlay systems in my M5 and then went with a full NBT EVO upgrade including touchscreen. Never looked back, it’s OEM and seamless integration in all aspects!
Appreciate 4
m5rosco210.50
Beast27358.00
      10-02-2023, 02:32 PM   #15
Jhow257415
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

@SCD-1983, I did the same thing. Full NBT-EVO and telecommunications module retrofit. All OEM, works like a charm, no complaints, I have touchscreen, iDrive 6, and I still have BMW ConnectedDrive mobile app services on a 2013 M5 which shouldn’t be possible/easy. I know many were looking for the cheap route, but you get what you pay for, and NBT-EVO retrofit is wayyyyy cheaper than they used to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhow257415 View Post
@SCD-1983, I did the same thing. Full NBT-EVO and telecommunications module retrofit. All OEM, works like a charm, no complaints, I have touchscreen, iDrive 6, and I still have BMW ConnectedDrive mobile app services on a 2013 M5 which shouldn’t be possible/easy. I know many were looking for the cheap route, but you get what you pay for, and NBT-EVO retrofit is wayyyyy cheaper than they used to be.
Followed the same route on my 2015 M5 and had zero issues whatsoever.

But if i could turn back time I wouldn't touch it again because the cost is silly and in the end preserving it to OEM status is worth more - if you get what i am saying

A modern iphone can offer you the same stuff - just connect it via bluetooth, find a nice phone holder, and forget about upgrading anything else.

On the other hand, if you are a tech freak then go for the 2019 F90 that has all these gadgets and looks even nicer. The F10 has a classic status in my mind.
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2023, 05:08 PM   #17
Jhow257415
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

MarcF10 I can def. Understand that position, which is why I’ve held on to all of the OEM parts. The option always exists to go back to original. However to your other point, I wanted the tech/creature comforts of a more modern machine but without jumping to the F90 M5. Namely because the F90 does NOT come in a manual transmission. Soooooo, that was a major factor. Had it came with a 6MT, I would have gotten one a long time ago.
Appreciate 1