BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Testing over Bluetooth was a mistake. .
Bingo.

Invalidates the entire review in my mind. And to assert that BT is the connection most people would use is crazy. IF you find this option even worth considering, don't tie a hand behind your back testing it with a streaming low quality connection made for cell phones. Use lossless directly connected software.
That said, friends I have with solid audiophile credentials feel it's a very iffy option, especially in the vert. But as noted, a M5 sedan could be very different.

Last edited by BigHat; 05-06-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Flying M
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Testing over Bluetooth was a mistake. Even if people might use that, when the goal is to determine differences in fidelity, you don't negate the high-bitrate source aspect by forcing it over a low-bandwidth connection. I can tell a clarity difference between BT and hardwired even on crappy 128 kbit MP3s. I've read that B&O isn't worth it, but using BT removed any possibility of detecting any added value the system might offer.
iOS doesn't decrease quality of MP3 if you use BT. It will be the same on BT or wired connection
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep

A quick blurb on Blue Tooth.

When Is Good Good Enough?
Bluetooth was originally endowed with a very low bit rate that restricted how much data it could handle. While it certainly sufficed for voice applications, it was never designed for things like delivering high-quality audio. But newer versions of Bluetooth — or "profiles" — have amped up the bit rate. In particular, an upgrade called Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) was introduced.

In theory, A2DP has plenty of bandwidth for stereo music and should sound just fine. But in practice, even an A2DP Bluetooth connection may provide only marginally adequate sound quality. There are several reasons for this, and if you want to get technical, you can click here. http://soundexpert.org/news/-/blogs/...o-quality-a2dp

If you carry your music collection around on an MP3 player or phone and are more concerned with convenience than sound quality, streaming music using A2DP in the car might sound good enough — something close to FM sound quality. Sometimes you can use the device menus to improve fidelity. For example, you may be able to increase the bit rate or ask the device to send and receive MP3 or AAC files directly instead of converting them.

But the sad reality is that Bluetooth sound quality is all over the map. If you want the ultimate sound quality, then you must do what audiophiles have always done: Listen for yourself and try to find Bluetooth devices that satisfy your own ears.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
dutycalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

Does anyone have anything good to say about the B&O?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutycalls View Post
Does anyone have anything good to say about the B&O?
I have been into audio gear since I mowed lawns at 12 to buy the latest phone cartridge. Having followed B&O for ages my personal opinion is that they are more focused on visual aesthetics of the equipment than they are on the audio performance.

EVERYTHING they make is grossly overpriced for what you get. The European equivalent of BOSE.

Last edited by BigHat; 05-06-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #28
MacDriver
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I have been into audio gear since I mowed lawns at 12 to buy the latest phone cartridge. Having followed B&O for ages my personal opinion is that they are more focused on visual aesthetics of the equipment than they are on the audio performance.

EVERYTHING they make is grossly overpriced for what you get. The European equivalent of BOSE.
This is exactly my opinion. They have a great design, high quality materials but the sound quality is just okay. Buy it, if the price doens't matter and if you want to go for a good show with the center speaker, but not for sound quality.

This weekend I had a different experience in a new 911 Porsche. We had one of the biggest High End exhibitions here in Munich. Beside theire normal equipment, I could listen some time to the new Burmester sound system in the 911. This was the first time that I was really impressed by a car audio system.

Last edited by MacDriver; 05-09-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0