M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Somehow the mechanic who last worked on my car lost the wheel lock. Of course he is denying responsibility.

Does anyone know where I can buy just the wheel lock key? The dealer was trying to charge couple hours of labor to try every key they have.

I have also heard these wheel locks cannot be broken off and no fire shop wants to touch them.

Do all m5 have the same wheel lock?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

If you know of a welding shop nearby, have them weld (or tack) a bolt onto the lug with the lock and then remove it. You will need to buy a new lock set afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
Goranot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

If it’s original locks provided by BMW they should be able to provide replacement.

Colleague bought a car recently and on inspection was missing the locking wheel lock key ..contacted BMW parts and after providing required details for security ordered a replacement
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      12-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Grab a 12 point thin walled socket, maybe a 15mm or 16mm. Put it over the wheel bolt, it has to fit tight where you have to bang it on with a small sledge. The idea is to get the socket to press over the head of the lug. Get it on pretty good and slowly try loosening it. Then when you get all 4 off, never put them back on the car, replace with regular lugs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
Maverick997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Saphire Metalic

I just bought a set of OEM locks and they came with two lug lock sockets. There was also a little card with a letter and number...( for example G5) try looking in your owners manual wallet and see if you have the little card...size of a business card. Then just ask BMW and they can get you a replacement. Given the torque on the studs not sure you will get a socket to wedge and not slip.....also don't want to get it expanded and wedged into the rim.....
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick997 View Post
I just bought a set of OEM locks and they came with two lug lock sockets. There was also a little card with a letter and number...( for example G5) try looking in your owners manual wallet and see if you have the little card...size of a business card. Then just ask BMW and they can get you a replacement. Given the torque on the studs not sure you will get a socket to wedge and not slip.....also don't want to get it expanded and wedged into the rim.....
It has worked for me several times in the past over the years. If you can fit your socket on a lug, how are you going to this socket wedged in the rim?

OP here are a couple of videos I found for you to show you:

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goranot View Post
If it’s original locks provided by BMW they should be able to provide replacement.

Colleague bought a car recently and on inspection was missing the locking wheel lock key ..contacted BMW parts and after providing required details for security ordered a replacement
This... it's the simplest, fastest and least risky way.
      12-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Dealer is no help they want to charge me multiple hours labor to use every key.

After some research on realoem there is 6 lock adaptors (keys) thst come with F10 m5.

I am going to buy all 6 and hope one works.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63amg View Post

After some research on realoem there is 6 lock adaptors (keys) thst come with F10 m5.

Tell them, you will buy a new set of locks from them, if they forgo the labor charge to try all the keys. That should work.
      08-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Illumina_m3
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Quote:
It has worked for me several times in the past over the years. If you can fit your socket on a lug, how are you going to this socket wedged in the rim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Quote:

The new locks is not this simple
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #11
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

On eBay you can buy a bmw master wheel lock key set. My buddy with an E90 M3 had the same problem went on eBay and bought the set for about $80 and worked flawlessly. Would post a link but can't figured it out. :
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:42 PM   #12
M5Dan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition Package

Garage List
2019 BMW X7   [0.00]
2016 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post

This happened to me also my key got broken and I went to my BMW Dealership and the parts manager tried every lock key seemed like more than 6 keys mine was key number 41 but it only took 5 min not hours they don't even have to put the car on a lift just Insert lug key to lug lock and see if it fits. Have them do it in front of you and they shouldn't charge you anything bc it's so quick and easy to do and just buy the new key from them.
Appreciate 0