M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Noelle DPs arrived pics here

The other thread has so much stuff on it I thought they deserved their own thread. You can see that they have been cut and rewelded. You can also see they have the BMW and Boysen imprints on them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Sweet get em installed. It don't take long at all
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
The other thread has so much stuff on it I thought they deserved their own thread. You can see that they have been cut and rewelded. You can also see they have the BMW and Boysen imprints on them.
Nice..let us know your initsl opion on them after installed
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

I am sorry if you already posted this somewhere but how would I order these if I wanted them??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post
I am sorry if you already posted this somewhere but how would I order these if I wanted them??
Talk to Ron Trochelman at Performing Imports (770) 641-6202

He will get it done for you.

You will have to expect to wait because they come all the way from Germany and they are custom made, not to order but in smaller lots so if there are some left from the lot I was in you may get it more quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Hammer91
Private
Rep

Thank you. Sorry to hear about your Dinan issues, appreciate you checking these out for the rest of us. I am curious to see your final thoughts if they can make things right for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Looks like the Dinan issue has been resolved and the sound is incredible. The car feels a lot faster now. Of course butt dyno's can be wrong but it sure as heck seems a lot faster. I ran it up to 90 on a couple of freeway entrances and it got there faster than it used to. I won't know for sure the difference without doing some Vbox runs but I think the gain is significant and I expect 11.5 125+ type of results. Won't know for a week though since I am leaving town tomorrow and the car will sit in the garage for the next week. However, it's not all bad, I am driving the Cayenne Turbo S to Pecos, then to Santa Fe for two days and then to Vail for three more days. Should be a nice cool getaway from the 105 we have here in Austin today.

Last edited by wrsbmw; 08-07-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Looks like the Dinan issue has been resolved and the sound is incredible. The car feels a lot faster now. Of course butt dyno's can be wrong but it sure as heck seems a lot faster. I ran it up to 90 on a couple of freeway entrances and it got there faster than it used to. I won't know for sure the difference without doing some Vbox runs but I think the gain is significant and I expect 11.5 125+ type of results. Won't know for a week though since I am leaving town tomorrow and the car will sit in the garage for the next week. However, it's not all bad, I am driving the Cayenne Turbo S to Pecos, then to Santa Fe for two days and then to Vail for three more days. Should be a nice cool getaway from the 105 we have here in Austin today.
Thats great news. Please keep us posted.
What did they find/fix to get it working properly?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Thats great news. Please keep us posted.
What did they find/fix to get it working properly?
They replaced the DTronics module and reprogrammed it which cost me zero. Car seems a lot faster but I won't be sure until I Vbox it. Of course now I have 15-20hp due to the downpipes too.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for the updates
Sorry if you already commented on it but just trying to get more info on Catted DPs.

What swayed your decision on Noelle DPs.? Lets say vs AMS or AP that seem to be reporting more HP gains. Guess catless have supposedly most gains but not sure if I want the CEL or smell.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks for the updates

What swayed your decision on Noelle DPs.? Lets say vs AMS or AP that seem to be reporting more HP gains. Guess catless have supposedly most gains but not sure if I want the CEL or smell.
No CEL, for sure, they are OEM as you can see by the markings on them. They are definitely louder and the sound is fantastic, not too loud but definitely louder than just the exhaust and on WOT it is clearly louder. I am also sure they have improved the low end performance of the car.

They are also the same as used in the Alpina cars and so you know that the noise isn't going to be too much for German standards but that the performance is going to be good.

Finally, Steve Dinan has them in his car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No CEL, for sure, they are OEM as you can see by the markings on them. They are definitely louder and the sound is fantastic, not too loud but definitely louder than just the exhaust and on WOT it is clearly louder. I am also sure they have improved the low end performance of the car.

They are also the same as used in the Alpina cars and so you know that the noise isn't going to be too much for German standards but that the performance is going to be good.

Was there a choice Cats 200 vs 300 vs 400 cell?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Was there a choice Cats 200 vs 300 vs 400 cell?
No, I think they use 400 because that is the least that will not give the CEL. AMS uses 300 and they told me that everyone eventually get's a CEL. They couldn't promise no CEL.

On their website Noelle shows a gain from stage 1 to stage 2 of 21hp and it's due to adding a sport catalyst which I assume would be these downpipes.

Stage 1
Engine control unit with a new program Stage 2 New sports catalysts Stage 3 New sport exhaust Stage 4 Larger turbos
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I think they use 400 because that is the least that will not give the CEL. AMS uses 300 and they told me that everyone eventually get's a CEL. They couldn't promise no CEL.

On their website Noelle shows a gain from stage 1 to stage 2 of 21hp and it's due to adding a sport catalyst which I assume would be these downpipes.

Stage 1
Engine control unit with a new program Stage 2 New sports catalysts Stage 3 New sport exhaust Stage 4 Larger turbos
Great thanks again

yeah after doing a little more research I didn't realize even the catted DP start throwing CELs after a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep

Quote:

What did they run you?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #16
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerrF10 View Post
What did they run you?
$4500

Stealth says he was quoted $4700 installed. The latter isn't cheap at the BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:
What did they run you?
$4500

Stealth says he was quoted $4700 installed. The latter isn't cheap at the BMW dealership.
jeez...and you chose these over catless because of CEL?.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
jeez...and you chose these over catless because of CEL?.
No, they are OEM, they add 21hp, they don't stink or stain, they sound great and my car will still pass inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Hammer91
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the info. Are you pretty confident the catted Noelle DP's will not give CEL or smell over time as well?? Is the extra filtration just to meet the requirements of California, and thus not necessary in other states (like charcoal filters)? If not I am not sure why they put them on in the stock configuration.

I am really anxious for you to reach a final conclusion on the D-Tronics, there sure is a lot of confusing info on the forums. I am surprised Dinan has not released some factual data to clarify the situation.

I have an early model 2014 M5 with competition package, mechanical wastegate. Am considering the Noelle DP's, M performance Exhaust, and the D-Tronics. My primary concern is no CEL's or any reliability issues, as well as maintaining my warranty. Any thoughts on that set up??
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91
Thanks for all the info. Are you pretty confident the catted Noelle DP's will not give CEL or smell over time as well?? Is the extra filtration just to meet the requirements of California, and thus not necessary in other states (like charcoal filters)? If not I am not sure why they put them on in the stock configuration.

I am really anxious for you to reach a final conclusion on the D-Tronics, there sure is a lot of confusing info on the forums. I am surprised Dinan has not released some factual data to clarify the situation.

I have an early model 2014 M5 with competition package, mechanical wastegate. Am considering the Noelle DP's, M performance Exhaust, and the D-Tronics. My primary concern is no CEL's or any reliability issues, as well as maintaining my warranty. Any thoughts on that set up??
I have 6k on the Noelle cats no cel.
      08-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #21
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

LOL. $4500 for catted DPs?
You can get hi-flow catted DP's from other vendors for $2500~.
Entire exhausts including DP's, mid section, rear section can be had for $4500.

I have RPi DP's and the weld quality and tube quality looks 10x better than those... and they came with the bungs for O2 sensors, etc so once you can re-program ECU, you can get rid of CEL.
CEL isn't even a big deal and if people in California aren't worried about emissions tests (none for 5 years on new cars), I doubt any other state has to worry about it.

The exhaust is simple bent metal tubing... there's no reason to pay out the ass for it.
If you don't want to stink, if you want to pass emissions -- simply get catted DP's.
      08-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #22
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
LOL. $4500 for catted DPs?
You can get hi-flow catted DP's from other vendors for $2500~.
Entire exhausts including DP's, mid section, rear section can be had for $4500.

I have RPi DP's and the weld quality and tube quality looks 10x better than those... and they came with the bungs for O2 sensors, etc so once you can re-program ECU, you can get rid of CEL.
CEL isn't even a big deal and if people in California aren't worried about emissions tests (none for 5 years on new cars), I doubt any other state has to worry about it.

The exhaust is simple bent metal tubing... there's no reason to pay out the ass for it.
If you don't want to stink, if you want to pass emissions -- simply get catted DP's.
I am glad you are happy with what you bought, I am satisfied with my purchase and could have bought AMS for a lot less. It's not as though I didn't know that so what is your point?
Appreciate 0