BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

Bootlid closing issue.

Hello fellow BMW owners.
I need your help with diagnosing an issue with my F25 / 2016 BMW X3 20d M-Sport.

The bootlid used to close automatically with a button which is located on the bootlid. Something has gone wrong as now it only closes up to 80% and then stops with upwards jerk. The folding arms are also make whirring noise which is louder than usual.
After this, no matter how many times I press the auto close button the bootlid doesn't close any further and just jerks upwards. So I have to push it really hard by hand to close it.

Opening the bootlid is working just fine with the remote control and the latch above the registration plate area.

PS. I have noticed another thing which may not be the cause of this issue (but I am mentioning in case it is) is that after forcefully closing the bootlid, the gap between bootlid and the car body is much greater on RHS as compared to LHS.

Last edited by t4ure4n; 10-14-2021 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 03:23 AM   #2
bakram
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Was there a solution to this as I am having the same problem >
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:45 AM   #3
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakram View Post
Was there a solution to this as I am having the same problem >
The pistons on either side (that wind and unwind) to open and close the bootlid were faulty.

I believe that water went in them or someone manually closed the lid too hard damaging the springs inside.

So I bought a pair of pistons from Autodoc and used YouTube videos to replace them. You will have to open the roof and side trim to route the motor cable and connect it.
Appreciate 0