BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Competition Package M5

DSc vs other modes and wheel spin and safety

So how good is dsc? There have been threads on wheel spin. Having just passed the 1200 miles service I can now experiment. I assume if I floor it in first I will get wheel spin. What about second or third? With dsc on in a straight line and good road conditions will the car be safe? Wet conditions? Going around a curve? How about with mdc or disc off?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

DSC is reliable as long as you don't expect it more that what it is
The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC (According to User's Manual)...It's safe in dry and good road condition. The same thing with MDM, which gives you more room for skidding before DSC be triggered. DSC OFF is extremely "dangerous" if you are not familiar with this much power and torque... I highly recommend you avoid turning DSC OFF in street. If you want to experience wheel spinning you can use MDM mode. If you turn off DSC and floor the gas, you will experience huge wheel spinning and losing the control unless you have enough skill to get the control so don't do it
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

The DSC is very effective since you'll see the light flash for sure in 1st-3rd gears with a heavy foot and if you're too heavy footed for the road conditions, the power cuts out noticeably and you'll just sit there waiting for what feels like an eternity unless you let off to a level that's appropriate. Hell you can spin wheels in 4th too. Learning just the right amount throttle modulation is fun, but I agree not on public roads (at least not of there's any traffic around) and please be very safe with DSC off...and listen to everyone here when they say you can spin/slide/drift/crash in MDM mode. It's more predictable when dry, but sweet Jesus use caution when wet. The more I drive it, the more I love it.

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 0