Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
2013 MCB Tinted + iDrive Touch Retrofit & LCI Taillights

My in-law picked up a 2013 F10 M5 back in January, and I'm looking to take over the lease when the summer comes around and my 550xi F10 lease goes back in.

In the mean time, I've been driving it quite plenty and began to slowly do some mods on it.

Wanted to keep it classy and OEM+, at least till I took full posession.

Started off with a 35% Executive Tint on the sides and back (going to do the windshield also).

We only use Johnson Tint in my shop, my installer has years of experience with it, and its by far the best quality film I've ever sold, or dealt with (and I've dealt with plenty). I went with their executive line, it has the same features as the "Huper Optik".

In the following pics you'll also notice the LCI Taillights, as well as minor interior upgrades

This picture is from this past Sunday, captured by one of the photographers that was at Cars & Coffee in Long Island.

Fully retrofitted the iDrive touch, needed to get an additional module and tap into the iDrive wires. Then a full NBT flash and reinstall to the latest 52.2 psdzdata. HUGE thanks to shawnsheridan for helping me flash it, it was extremely nerve wrecking due to the possibility of bricking the iDrive unit. Thankfully everything went nice and smooth with a few little hick ups.

Also swapped out to the LCI (2014) nav screen trim that includes the little silver bars along with the silver trim that goes over the center console button. In my opinion its an awesome subtle upgrade to match the existing aluminum/silver trim that's already there from the factory.

A few other things of which I've done but haven't photographed yet is the color-coded door handle trim, and matte gray fender gill trim. Also threw in a BMS S1 tune, and remove the resonators.... this thing moves

Stay tuned for more updates.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Looks good. I didnt realize you can put tint on the outside part of the windows.
      05-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Wow, impressive with the iDrive touch controller and iDrive Screen Silver Strips upgrade. Was it easy to install the strips on the iDrive screen? How much did you spend to do this. Also I'm surprised you haven't done the LCI Cupholders upgrade too. One more question, how much was it to do the LCI Tailights? I assume they were plug and play. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Also you should do the Steering Wheel to complete the LCI interior.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
mango14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I too am curious about the cost for the complete retrofit. I am debating between a 2013 and 2014 m5 and there is a substantial price difference.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Looks good. I didnt realize you can put tint on the outside part of the windows.
The tint gets placed on the outside so it can be cut to shape, then applied on the inside and trimmed precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Wow, impressive with the iDrive touch controller and iDrive Screen Silver Strips upgrade. Was it easy to install the strips on the iDrive screen? How much did you spend to do this. Also I'm surprised you haven't done the LCI Cupholders upgrade too. One more question, how much was it to do the LCI Tailights? I assume they were plug and play. Thanks!
I don't remember the exact figures, but the trim was around $60-80, and its really easy to replace... probably a 15min job.

The taillights were roughly $750, and its a plug and play.

You mean the cupholdeR? lol... this is a 6MT, as far as I know, theres no diference in the cup holder w/ LCI. Keep in mind, on 6MT's, the cup holder is where the ash tray is for DCT's, and the ash tray is in place of the cup holder, due to the transmission, theres simply no room to place a cup holder in front of the shifter, I wish I could find a way to do it... but I've researched and tried to fit stuff in there but it just isn't going to happen.... the firewall sits much higher to fit any cup holders in there.

Quote:
Also you should do the Steering Wheel to complete the LCI interior.
That's definitely the next interior upgrade, just waiting to come across a good deal. Hard to find steering wheels without the paddles without having to get it through the dealer... might have to settle on getting a 6MT F30 wheel and swap out the ///M trim on to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango14 View Post
I too am curious about the cost for the complete retrofit. I am debating between a 2013 and 2014 m5 and there is a substantial price difference.

Tom
Headlights aside, I think you're looking at around $3200 which includes:
  • Steering wheel w/ airbag
  • Taillights
  • Grilles
  • LCI Touch Controller
  • Nav Screen & Arm Rest Compartment Button
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
The tint gets placed on the outside so it can be cut to shape, then applied on the inside and trimmed precisely.

I don't remember the exact figures, but the trim was around $60-80, and its really easy to replace... probably a 15min job.

You mean the cupholdeR? lol... this is a 6MT, as far as I know, theres no diference in the cup holder w/ LCI. Keep in mind, on 6MT's, the cup holder is where the ash tray is for DCT's, and the ash tray is in place of the cup holder, due to the transmission, theres simply no room to place a cup holder in front of the shifter, I wish I could find a way to do it... but I've researched and tried to fit stuff in there but it just isn't going to happen.... the firewall sits much higher to fit any cup holders in there.

That's definitely the next interior upgrade, just waiting to come across a good deal. Hard to find steering wheels without the paddles without having to get it through the dealer... might have to settle on getting a 6MT F30 wheel and swap out the ///M trim on to it.

• Taillights
  • Grilles
  • LCI Touch Controller
Damn, totally forgot your dealing with the 6MT M5! LOL! It didn't occur to me that you would need the steering wheel without the Paddle Shifters. Doh! Haha!

Aweseome about the iDrive Screen Trim Pieces. You mind sharing where and how you got the parts from? I would be interested in doing this too.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Damn, totally forgot your dealing with the 6MT M5! LOL! It didn't occur to me that you would need the steering wheel without the Paddle Shifters. Doh! Haha!

Aweseome about the iDrive Screen Trim Pieces. You mind sharing where and how you got the parts from? I would be interested in doing this too.
me too, unless u need new whole screen unit to fit those trim pieces

looks good OP!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

You can buy the trim piece , iDrive Touch controller and module at your local
BMW dealer
Trim piece is 65509301373 (30$)
iDrive Touch for example is 65829320290 (~700$) (NOTE THIS IS FOR CERAMIC CONTROLS, MAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE CORRECT PART # for YOUR M5)
Controller module for iDrive Touch is 65829338800 ($50)
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
SSM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

It's a Lease. Are you going to put it all back at the end? or just buy it.

2023 M5 Comp Skyscraper Grey,Executive Pack, Drivers Assistance, B&W, 789's.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

How is the tint on the windshield going to work with the HUD? I was lead to believe it would cause a "double" on the windshield....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
m34SPD
Picture me rollin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e39 m5, f80 m3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
How is the tint on the windshield going to work with the HUD? I was lead to believe it would cause a "double" on the windshield....
No, it actually makes the HUD look better.

Is that window film a ceramic window film? I am looking at PhotoSync, and Llumar Air. Llumar air is a ceramic film, but not PhotoSync. I've read about the "ghosting" effect you get from ceramic tint when shrinking, do you have any of these issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Sweet amazing work. I totally want to do all of this, gonna ask you lots of questions.
      05-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I got the parts from my local dealership, we have an account with them so it was at dealer cost, which is normally the same cost as you'd find from online bmw retailers (getbmwparts.com).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM5 View Post
It's a Lease. Are you going to put it all back at the end? or just buy it.
Gunna bring it back to stock, its pretty easy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
What he said V

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG640 View Post
No, it actually makes the HUD look better.

Is that window film a ceramic window film? I am looking at PhotoSync, and Llumar Air. Llumar air is a ceramic film, but not PhotoSync. I've read about the "ghosting" effect you get from ceramic tint when shrinking, do you have any of these issues?
Its a ceramic tint, you can read more about it here: http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/au...cts/executive/

Don't, and haven't had any issues with this tint in the last 3 years we've been installing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Sweet amazing work. I totally want to do all of this, gonna ask you lots of questions.
Thanks Question away, my fingers are locked and ready to answer any questions...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
jmh
United_States
Rep

Just as people asked for a picture
A while ago I did the retrofit for the iDrive Touch controller and
decided to use the ceramic version (also in the process to have the
DCT cover coated in ceramic)
Attached is a picture of the installed controller
Attached Images

15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Awesome! I'm planning on doing this too. Do you happen to have any notes on how you wired up the controller module?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Awesome! I'm planning on doing this too. Do you happen to have any notes on how you wired up the controller module?
It's actually fairly simple (as long as you can splice cables and have some basic tools)
The prerequisite for the update are that you must have the current software level or at least 52.4 for your car before you can perform the upgrade

There are two options to do the retrofit.

If all you are looking for is the "looks" of the new iDrive Touch controller you
can simply by the new controller and replace it with your current one.
It is plug and play. However this will not give you the touch features

If you also want to use the touch features you'll have to install the touch control box
The BMW part # is 65829338800 (appr 60$)
I decided to use the ceramic controller and the part # is 65829320290 (~800$)

Once you have the latest software in your car you can start the actual upgrade

You need to create the Y-cable to add the touch controller to your CAN2 bus
You also need the e-sys software to code your car and enable the touch features

In order to enable the touch controller features you need to change the VO
(vehicle Order) to a date after 7/2013 (introduction of the LCI model) .

For the coding piece you need to change the following settings via e-sys

HU_NBT / 3000_HMI / ZBE_TOUCH_INTERACTIVE_MAP to aktiv
HU_NBT / 3000_HMI / ZBE_TOUCH_SPELLER to aktiv
HU_NBT / 3000_HMI / ZBE_TOUCH_BROWSER to aktiv
HU_NBT / 3004_SYSTEM / EINSTELLUNGEN / ZBE_TOUCH to aktiv-Mittelfach

After the coding you can install the new iDrive Touch controller and the control box
The control box has 4 connections (identical to the controller)
From the outside to the inside they are

red, brown, yellow/red , yellow/brown

Basically you create a Y-cable with one connection to the original plug connecting the
iDrive controller and two ends now connecting the iDrive controller and the touch control box
Finding the correct connectors may be a challenge but you can try your local dealer
and maybe they have some connectors from old wiring harnesses , or a PC shop
carrying PC wiring / connectors

All of four wires of touch controller are bridged to corresponding wires of touch-controller.
1 > 1
2 > 2
3 > 3
4 > 4
3 and 4 are twisted pair.

The length from the point you splitted the wires to the touch control device should not
be longer than 10 cm and KCan2_L and K_Can2_H should be twisted to get a better
protection and to avoid interference on the Can-bus

The touch control box can easily be stored in the center console (it's very small)

That's pretty much it .
Overall the upgrade will take no longer than an hour .

- Jan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #18
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post

• Taillights
  • Grilles
  • LCI Touch Controller
Good to know.... Thinking about upgrading to all the LCI updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
It's actually fairly simple (as long as you can splice cables and have some basic tools)
The prerequisite for the update are that you must have the current software level or at least 52.4 for your car before you can perform the upgrade

There are two options to do the retrofit.

If all you are looking for is the "looks" of the new iDrive Touch controller you
can simply by the new controller and replace it with your current one.
It is plug and play. However this will not give you the touch features

If you also want to use the touch features you'll have to install the touch control box
The BMW part # is 65829338800 (appr 60$)
I decided to use the ceramic controller and the part # is 65829320290 (~800$)

Once you have the latest software in your car you can start the actual upgrade

You need to create the Y-cable to add the touch controller to your CAN2 bus
You also need the e-sys software to code your car and enable the touch features

In order to enable the touch controller features you need to change the VO
(vehicle Order) to a date after 7/2013 (introduction of the LCI model) .

For the coding piece you need to change the following settings via e-sys

HU_NBT / 3000_HMI / ZBE_TOUCH_INTERACTIVE_MAP to aktiv
HU_NBT / 3000_HMI / ZBE_TOUCH_SPELLER to aktiv
HU_NBT / 3000_HMI / ZBE_TOUCH_BROWSER to aktiv
HU_NBT / 3004_SYSTEM / EINSTELLUNGEN / ZBE_TOUCH to aktiv-Mittelfach

After the coding you can install the new iDrive Touch controller and the control box
The control box has 4 connections (identical to the controller)
From the outside to the inside they are

red, brown, yellow/red , yellow/brown

Basically you create a Y-cable with one connection to the original plug connecting the
iDrive controller and two ends now connecting the iDrive controller and the touch control box
Finding the correct connectors may be a challenge but you can try your local dealer
and maybe they have some connectors from old wiring harnesses , or a PC shop
carrying PC wiring / connectors

All of four wires of touch controller are bridged to corresponding wires of touch-controller.
1 > 1
2 > 2
3 > 3
4 > 4
3 and 4 are twisted pair.

The length from the point you splitted the wires to the touch control device should not
be longer than 10 cm and KCan2_L and K_Can2_H should be twisted to get a better
protection and to avoid interference on the Can-bus

The touch control box can easily be stored in the center console (it's very small)

That's pretty much it .
Overall the upgrade will take no longer than an hour .

- Jan
Where do u get the e-sys software to code or do u have to go to the dealer for that?
Appreciate 0