Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Stored Multimedia playback/catalog

Not sure if it's something that could be changed via coding independently or by the dealer but does anyone know if there is a way to have your music/music folders listed in any other way than alphabetical order? For those with the new connected drive do they give you the option to change this in the settings?
      11-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Can't answer that question, but on the general topic...

I'd like to know if there's a way to change the encoding bit rate. I'd like to give up song quantity to use 320 Kbps quality. The storage feature is useless to me without this capability.
      11-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I'd like to know if there's a way to change the encoding bit rate. I'd like to give up song quantity to use 320 Kbps quality. The storage feature is useless to me without this capability.
If you are talking about playing stored media in iPhone/iPod, what is the use of changing the encoding bit rate when playing? The music quality will still be the quality in the bit rate it was originally encoded. If you want the best then encode it in ALAC/FLAC which is lossless.

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 11-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
If you are talking about playing stored media in iPhone/iPod, what is the use of changing the encoding bit rate when playing? The music quality will still be the quality in the bit rate it was originally encoded. If you want the best then encode it in ALAC/FLAC which is lossless.
No, not stored on an iPod. I'm talking about the internal flash drive of the car. You can rip CDs into the car's memory, but I've read that it converts the files to 128 or 192 Kbps files.
      11-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
Not sure if it's something that could be changed via coding independently or by the dealer but does anyone know if there is a way to have your music/music folders listed in any other way than alphabetical order? For those with the new connected drive do they give you the option to change this in the settings?
If you are playing music from an external USB stick, then yes...you can choose to browse music in whatever folder format you used to save the files to the flash drive - which is really nice.

BTW - off topic, but the MOG streaming service is awesome in conjunction with iDrive. Great UI. Great sound quality.
      11-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
If you are playing music from an external USB stick, then yes...you can choose to browse music in whatever folder format you used to save the files to the flash drive - which is really nice.

BTW - off topic, but the MOG streaming service is awesome in conjunction with iDrive. Great UI. Great sound quality.
Do you need to have your phone docked to get the full benefits of MOG, or can it handle everything over bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hmm I see, thanks I'll check that out. I have been just straight uploading them to the car's drive. Tracks on most albums these days run together and tell a story.
      11-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
Do you need to have your phone docked to get the full benefits of MOG, or can it handle everything over bluetooth?
USB or dock. Bluetooth won't get it done.
      11-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, not stored on an iPod. I'm talking about the internal flash drive of the car. You can rip CDs into the car's memory, but I've read that it converts the files to 128 or 192 Kbps files.
I see, but even at 320Kbps using lossy compression won't give you the best sound even if you have the upgraded B&O speaker system. It would be nice if one can record the track as recorded in the CD or via a non-lossy scheme such as FLAC.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan
Quote:
I see, but even at 320Kbps using lossy compression won't give you the best sound even if you have the upgraded B&O speaker system. It would be nice if one can record the track as recorded in the CD or via a non-lossy scheme such as FLAC.
True.
      11-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
MakeEmDrool
MD, PhD, and OPP
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, F10 M5 on zee wei

Having trouble with all these big college words you gentlemen are using. Please clarify, if you are using an ipod, with songs either purchased on itunes or converted from cd to an itunes library, and you use a docked ipod on an m5 with the bo sound system, will you be disappointed with sound quality?

-"just once, id like someone to call me "sir", without adding, "you're making a scene"." -Homer J Simpson.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeEmDrool
Having trouble with all these big college words you gentlemen are using. Please clarify, if you are using an ipod, with songs either purchased on itunes or converted from cd to an itunes library, and you use a docked ipod on an m5 with the bo sound system, will you be disappointed with sound quality?

-"just once, id like someone to call me "sir", without adding, "you're making a scene"." -Homer J Simpson.
Nope. That's perfectly fine.

There are options when importing CDs into your iTunes library. My recommendation is to use the setting called "iTunes Plus", which is 256 kilobytes per second, or higher. If you use the standard setting of 128, you will notice some loss of fidelity.

Last edited by Rob///M5; 11-03-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah i'm good to go now. I just need to get me a bigger dedicated stick for the car now. I don't know why they would change the interface up so much between using the internal drive and the armrest usb.
      11-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
While I agree in principle being a lossless fanatic of sorts, I don't think the listener can notice a difference between 320 kbps and lossless through a car stereo, B&O notwithstanding. You would be surprised how difficult it is for human ears (trained even) to identify the difference on anything but a very expensive system in the most optimal of listening conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
You would be surprised how difficult it is for human ears (trained even) to identify the difference on anything but a very expensive system in the most optimal of listening conditions.
I totally agree that a car stereo system is not the place to listen to hi-fidelity music. Also most listeners won't really bother about true fidelity and may have a hard time discering music encoded in a lossy or a non-lossy way. Also, the kind of music being played will have a big role as one will have a hard time telling the difference with pop/rock music. But that is besides the point. Personally, I store my music especially the classical ones in my iPhone/iPod in ALAC so I can carry it with me and play it in my hi-fidelity system or at my friends and now in my M5 with the B&O system.

And to answer whether or not I can tell if the music is saved as an ALAC or a 320Kbps mp3 when played on my M5 sound system, the answer is a definite yes. I had anticipated this in preparation for the European Delivery and recorded in ALAC and 360Kbps MP3 Dmitri Shostakovitch's Symphony No. 1. I had an assistant randomly choose what to play without my knowledge and I was able to tell which one was recorded in ALAC 100% of the time. When I did the the test the other way, wherein I did the random choosing, my assistant was only able to tell 40% of the time which was within the realm of probability/guessing. BTW, my assistant is more into pop/rock music rather than classical.

Last edited by nybimmerfan; 11-04-2012 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: corrected misspelling
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
I totally agree that a car stereo system is not the place to listen to hi-fidelity music. Also most listeners won't really bother about true fidelity and may have a hard time discering music encoded in a lossy or a non-lossy way. Also, the kind of music being played will have a big role as one will have a hard time telling the difference with pop/rock music. But that is besides the point. Personally, I store my music especially the classical ones in my iPhone/iPod in ALAC so I can carry it with me and play it in my hi-fidelity system or at my friends and now in my M5 with the B&O system.

And to answer whether or not I can tell if the music is saved as an ALAC or a 320Kbps mp3 when played on my M5 sound system, the answer is a definite yes. I had anticipated this in preparation for the European Delivery and recorded in ALAC and 360Kbps MP3 Dmitri Shostakovitch's Symphony No. 1. I had an assistant randomly choose what to play without my knowledge and I was able to tell which one was recorded in ALAC 100% of the time. When I did the the test the other way, wherein I did the random choosing, my assistant was only able to tell 40% of the time which was within the realm of probability/guessing. BTW, my assistant is more into pop/rock music rather than classical.
You, sir, have impressive ears and fine taste. I love Shostakovich's first symphony as well as his string quartets. I typically listen to rock and jazz in the car leaving my classical music for dedicated listening sessions in my home. As for the B&O, I was close to including this option but I balked at the price. I thought for nearly 4k it was an aesthetic addition more than anything else. Perhaps I was mistaken. The stock stereo is fine for my purposes so I'll just have to keep my serious listening sessions at home.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
USB or dock. Bluetooth won't get it done.
...and it must be an iDevice right? no Android?
      11-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
You, sir, have impressive ears and fine taste. I love Shostakovich's first symphony as well as his string quartets. I typically listen to rock and jazz in the car leaving my classical music for dedicated listening sessions in my home. As for the B&O, I was close to including this option but I balked at the price. I thought for nearly 4k it was an aesthetic addition more than anything else. Perhaps I was mistaken. The stock stereo is fine for my purposes so I'll just have to keep my serious listening sessions at home.
Honestly the car would have to be at a standstill with the ignition off to notice the difference significantly. There's no way he's noticing the difference on the move driving. I'm a lossless fanatic of sorts as well. Best served at home is my opinion as well.
      11-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
Honestly the car would have to be at a standstill with the ignition off to notice the difference significantly. There's no way he's noticing the difference on the move driving. I'm a lossless fanatic of sorts as well. Best served at home is my opinion as well.
I did the test on a non moving car and although I have not tried it, I probably could still tell if my test music was recorded in non-lossy or lossy format in a moving car so long as I am not driving as I have to concentrate on the music and not on the road ahead. For anyone to be able to do this, he/she must be very familiar with the music and the nuances of the music being played. In my case, I am very much familiar with Shostakovich's Symphony#1. I had to listen closely to the the transient and decay attacks. Music recorded with lossy compression seem to lose the proper accent on specific notes that one familiar with the music expects - in this case the notes are simply played. As I have said, one has to really be familiar with the music to be able to do this; music familiarity is the key. So, if one has been listening most of the time to pieces of music in high fidelity and suddenly switch to something recorded in MP3, I am pretty sure that he/she would be able to tell which one was recorded in hi-fidelity and which one in MP3 for that particular piece of music.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
...and it must be an iDevice right? no Android?
Looks like it - though every article I've read says it's coming for Android. Easy enough to test...you can get a free trial subscription of mog.