BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Car and Driver and m5 bashing

Car and driver has turned into an m5 basher. Ive subscribed to the magazine since 1992 and seriously am considering cancelingg only because the credibility of their assessment is in jeapordy. They Rated previous e60 m5 thrid in comparo losing to first place audi s6. Recently, Rated f10 third to s6 and e63 claiming the shifter and bumpy ride are drawbacks. Now they do a writeup on the 6 speed m5 and slam it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Ahmed
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG

Garage List
1999 BMW M5  [1.00]
You're just stubborn!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

So what's the problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
rcesimo
Rep
Drives: N/A

Maybe it is justifiable criticism and not biased bashing. The competition has been getting better over the years, and BMW is not offering anything 'outstanding' out of the bunch.

Take the F10 M5 for instance. It's not a very good M car. They used the platform from the larger 7 series, the handling is pretty meh, and they focused too much on the luxury side of things and compromised the driving experience.

The competition is both diverse and compelling (CTS-V, S6, XFR, E63, Panamera... et al.), and sometimes offers more (AWD, more hp/torque), which makes ignoring them hard.

The only thing that the F10 M5 has against the competition, is the legacy of the M5. And that starts to pale once you test drive one of the competitions.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I'll take Car and Driver's M5 bashing with a grain of salt. If all the negatives they are saying about the M5 were 100% true then every car enthusiast magazine will say the same thing and we have found that is not the case. For whatever reason, Car and Driver has been bashing the M5 since day 1 and all praises for the S6. Personally, I have tried all the other models cited by other posters here such as the S6, CTS-V, etc. and still settled for the M5 for 1 reason or another. Even my friends who own those other car models and have tried the M5 say that they wish they had the M5 ("the other man's grass is always greener"). Of course other car models may have features the M5 may not have and likewise, the M5 can claim features those other model cars don't have. Those other car models have strong points too much like the M5 and they are all good cars. It all boils down to driver's preference. I have long cancelled my subscription to Car and Driver as I have found out that their reviews are not impartial and is always biased for 1 particular manufacturer and lately it has been with Audi, which makes you think that there probably is an ulterior motive or may be in Audi's payroll. I would not trust the Editor or writers of Car and Driver as paragon of truthfullness.
      03-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Audi has been writing some nice checks to C&D lately. Like someone else mentioned when all other magazines says the same thing about a car then there must be some truth to it but when you get one then it really makes you think. C&D has been bagging on Bmw's for awhile now always praising Audi and even Lexus over Bmw.

Alan
      03-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
whiteM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

dont you own an m5? who cares what a writer says about a car you felt worthy of 100k of your money..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan View Post
I'll take Car and Driver's M5 bashing with a grain of salt. If all the negatives they are saying about the M5 were 100% true then every car enthusiast magazine will say the same thing and we have found that is not the case. For whatever reason, Car and Driver has been bashing the M5 since day 1 and all praises for the S6. Personally, I have tried all the other models cited by other posters here such as the S6, CTS-V, etc. and still settled for the M5 for 1 reason or another. Even my friends who own those other car models and have tried the M5 say that they wish they had the M5 ("the other man's grass is always greener"). Of course other car models may have features the M5 may not have and likewise, the M5 can claim features those other model cars don't have. Those other car models have strong points too much like the M5 and they are all good cars. It all boils down to driver's preference. I have long cancelled my subscription to Car and Driver as I have found out that their reviews are not impartial and is always biased for 1 particular manufacturer and lately it has been with Audi, which makes you think that there probably is an ulterior motive or may be in Audi's payroll. I would not trust the Editor or writers of Car and Driver as paragon of truthfullness.
I agree that some of the car mags are out of whack with what the true perception is by the motoring enthusiast. This is the same case for the ZR1 which repeatedly whoops up on the overly starched and traditional performance benchmark cars and yet the car mag guys find reasons to pick the Ferrari, Porsche or etc. as the "better car". There are many reasons to pick another brand whether you are considering performance, looks, overall quality, price, availability and other criteria. But, usually, as is the case with M5 buyers, they have tried, bought, regretted not buying etc., only to go back to the M and wait for the right time in their life to take the dive. I have a friend who is a diehard Merc fan and between he and his wife owned 5 of the most popular current models (all black). I gave him a ride in my old E60 M5 one day and he was converted and slowly traded all but 1 of his Mercs for BMW products. He said he really didn't know why he had never considered owning an M car but he is a loyal fan now.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcesimo View Post
Maybe it is justifiable criticism and not biased bashing. The competition has been getting better over the years, and BMW is not offering anything 'outstanding' out of the bunch.

Take the F10 M5 for instance. It's not a very good M car. They used the platform from the larger 7 series, the handling is pretty meh, and they focused too much on the luxury side of things and compromised the driving experience.

The competition is both diverse and compelling (CTS-V, S6, XFR, E63, Panamera... et al.), and sometimes offers more (AWD, more hp/torque), which makes ignoring them hard.

The only thing that the F10 M5 has against the competition, is the legacy of the M5. And that starts to pale once you test drive one of the competitions.
Why are you driving an m5 and not one of the others you mention? Is it the legacy?
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I think what car and driver is missing is the true use case of the M5. It should be evaluated as an all-rounder track and street car, and they are evaluating it as a sports car.

This said, that they rated it below the old RWD E63 signals sheer stupidity in my opinion.

I cancelled my C&D subscription a long time ago. It's nothing more than a rag IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

For years, many people thought Car & Driver was on BMW's payroll. Let's face it, it used to be love fest. And over the last few years as the luxury competition has gotten better and moved further to the sport side, and as BMW has moved more to the luxury side, I understood when C&D and others placed BMW near or behind some of the competition. I share the belief that BMW's M has lost some of its edge and I thought that a lot of bimmer boys just didn't want to admit it. So they blamed C&D.

Then, along come the M5 reviews and wow, they've been over the top negative. I really did start wondering whether C&D may have developed an anti-BMW bias. And now, with the last review of the MT6 M5, I'm not wondering anymore. That review was over-the-top wrong.

Yes, I've been driving MTs for almost 40 years, and yes, I think I know how to drive them pretty well. But I'd expect a professional car reviewer to be as good or better. And since taking precisely four shifts to find the right clutch pick-up point, I've had zero problems shifting smoothing (btw, I keep the throttle in Sport Plus). And that bozo couldn't do the same thing? Further, the exact same MT that C&D has praised for years is suddenly too long and rubbery?

For me, the last review was so bad and non-subjective that it call into question every word that C&D has written about the M5. I'm now one of those bimmer boys who thinks C&D is trash.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
rcesimo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Why are you driving an m5 and not one of the others you mention? Is it the legacy?
Just because we drive M5s, doesn't mean we're infallible and any criticism to the car is unwarranted or wrong (from C&D or anyone for that matter).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
For years, many people thought Car & Driver was on BMW's payroll. Let's face it, it used to be love fest. And over the last few years as the luxury competition has gotten better and moved further to the sport side, and as BMW has moved more to the luxury side, I understood when C&D and others placed BMW near or behind some of the competition. I share the belief that BMW's M has lost some of its edge and I thought that a lot of bimmer boys just didn't want to admit it. So they blamed C&D.

Then, along come the M5 reviews and wow, they've been over the top negative. I really did start wondering whether C&D may have developed an anti-BMW bias. And now, with the last review of the MT6 M5, I'm not wondering anymore. That review was over-the-top wrong.

Yes, I've been driving MTs for almost 40 years, and yes, I think I know how to drive them pretty well. But I'd expect a professional car reviewer to be as good or better. And since taking precisely four shifts to find the right clutch pick-up point, I've had zero problems shifting smoothing (btw, I keep the throttle in Sport Plus). And that bozo couldn't do the same thing? Further, the exact same MT that C&D has praised for years is suddenly too long and rubbery?

For me, the last review was so bad and non-subjective that it call into question every word that C&D has written about the M5. I'm now one of those bimmer boys who thinks C&D is trash.
This said, I do think C&D used to be more objective. For instance they had the Lexus GS400 on the top 10 list in 2002 because it was the fastest production sedan with exceptional ride quality. You would never see them put a Lexus on the top ten list now regardless of the quality of the product.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

It's all subjective. Autoweek just posted a positive review preferring the manual transmission. As long as YOU like it, it's all good. I think everyone just wants to be accepted and loved and seek approval on all their life choices

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...IEWS/130319881
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
It's all subjective. Autoweek just posted a positive review preferring the manual transmission. As long as YOU like it, it's all good. I think everyone just wants to be accepted and loved and seek approval on all their life choices

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...IEWS/130319881
Well after your analysis and the autoweek review, I am feeling much better about myself. And I'm pretty sure my hair is less grey and I've lost some weight too. Thank you doctor!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Well after your analysis and the autoweek review, I am feeling much better about myself. And I'm pretty sure my hair is less grey and I've lost some weight too. Thank you doctor!
M5 owners make it simple your car is only for you to love, and not give a &j%# what others think. I would have purchsed mine if the articles said it was POS with a LCI coming. I absoutly love everything about the vehicle. This is my 6th BMW, and they all have been good except for the 2002 745i. Do you all know how many people would like to drive the car you have let alone own the damn thing.

Magazines sell articles to create hype! It's amazing with all the owners on this board that drive the car daily, and we still have people questioning their purchase because of a magazine that sales advertisements?? Sorry guys enjoy your cars ........I only get to drive my on the weekend because of my travel and living in two states. Man enjoy your M5's.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
dapperdan
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 F90 LCI M5

I also did a test drive of the competition and found the M5 to be better. How anybody can say anything about the M5 is "bleh" is beyond me! The Caddy, MB, Audi, and BMW all make great products in this price range. The chassis on the M5 is incredible, as is the power. I hate the "shootout" concept. I would much rather the reviewer said "these are all fantastic cars, and if you value this, then you will like this car best, but if you value that, then your will like that car the best." That would be more accurate rather than declaring anyone of them a "winner" and the others "losers".

BMW 2022 F90 LCI M5 Competition, Aventurine Red Metallic, Tartufo Extended Merino Leather, Ultimate Package
See my M5 Car Blog at http://m5carblog.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
rcesimo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
I hate the "shootout" concept. I would much rather the reviewer said "these are all fantastic cars, and if you value this, then you will like this car best, but if you value that, then your will like that car the best." That would be more accurate rather than declaring anyone of them a "winner" and the others "losers".
Agreed. btw, I forgot about your blog again up until I saw your signature now. Lots of new excellent and very informative posts, I need to catch up!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I cancelled my C&D subscription a long time ago. It's nothing more than a rag IMO.
I did as well. Long before the bimmer bashing. Something dramatically changed a couple of years ago with their writing. Their articles are now inane and uninspiring.
      03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
These are the only reviews that matter.

Richard Hammond and Chris Harris reviews

Chris Harris' comparison with Nissan GTR

Car Magazine's comparo with CLS63 AMG
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

This should also spark some debate!

Let the shoosting begin!!

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-15-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I don't care what they say or they feel. I tested enough cars before dropping my $100k and I am enjoying the M5 as much as I can. Don't mean to disrespect anyone, but my guess is most of those journalists end up driving their Hyundai or some pick-up trucks after work. They might had claimed that they spent some fair amount of time "testing" the car, but they certainly don't get to experience something called ownership which is available 24/7 and that is the true experience.