M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

01-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

Frozen Paint Care

Can anyone recommend some car care products specifically for frozen or matte colored cars? I found a brand called Dr. Beasley's and they have matte car care products but I wasn't sure if it was any good or not. Anyone use their stuff before?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Swissvax has a line of products to care for matte/frozen paint finishes
http://www.swissvax.us/usa/matt-paint.html
I've used their products in the past and liked them a lot (still use their leather
cleaning/conditioning products) , have switched to Zaino since (they don't have a frozen/matte product)

But basically just be careful in not using products which are using fillers/wax etc
Frozen paint requires actually less maintenance than "gloss" paint and you have the
benefit of frozen paint "hiding" swirl marks and marring quite well

There're a couple of other interesting pointers for you.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...09#post9448609
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619371
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677929
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

I absorb both your guys posts with high interest... Still can't decide between brilliant white metallic and frozen white for my future order - and maintenance of the paint is my main concern.

I am curious how any of those products work on top of the Xpel Stealth...
      01-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
runningthingz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Frozen White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post

I absorb both your guys posts with high interest... Still can't decide between brilliant white metallic and frozen white for my future order - and maintenance of the paint is my main concern.

Evan at AutoArmour gave me a bottle of XPEL protection film sealant after installing XPEL Stealth Ultimate. He said to apply it every few months. My original question is because I still don't have XPEL Stealth Ultimate on my rear bumper and doors, after I do this will probably be all I use.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot

Frozen white FTW!
      02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
groundskeeper willie
Rep
Drives: my other car is a vette

scholl concepts also makes matte finish products...

http://www.schollconcepts.com/endcon...mid=69&lang=en
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot

Swissvax Opaque cleaners & wax work the same on Xpel Stealth as it does on frozen paint. I also use Chem Guys Matte QD spray.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
rogers08m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Chemical Guys makes an ok soap and quick detailers; but I think if I had a frozen color I'd probably coat it with something like cQuartz Finest; reduce some of the maintenance down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers08m3 View Post
Chemical Guys makes an ok soap and quick detailers; but I think if I had a frozen color I'd probably coat it with something like cQuartz Finest; reduce some of the maintenance down the road.
CQUARTZ Finest is very glossy. If you put that on a frozen paint, it wouldn't be frozen any more.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
rogers08m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
CQUARTZ Finest is very glossy. If you put that on a frozen paint, it wouldn't be frozen any more.
You are correct that it is very glossy, however you are incorrect that it will change the look of satin paints. It can, and is used on satin or matte finishes; it is one of the few coatings that can be. It does not change the look; I have seen it first hand. You don't have to trust me; you can e-mail Corey from Carpro-us.com or Avi from cQuartz and ask them.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers08m3
Quote:
You are correct that it is very glossy, however you are incorrect that it will change the look of satin paints. It can, and is used on satin or matte finishes; it is one of the few coatings that can be. It does not change the look; I have seen it first hand. You don't have to trust me; you can e-mail Corey from Carpro-us.com or Avi from cQuartz and ask them.
I don't buy it.

CQuartz Finest has been proven to yield a measurable increase I the gloss level of a glossy paint finish.

I don't understand how a product which measurably adds gloss changing the appearance of gloss finishes can also not change the appearance of a matte finish.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
rogers08m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't buy it.

CQuartz Finest has been proven to yield a measurable increase I the gloss level of a glossy paint finish.

I don't understand how a product which measurably adds gloss changing the appearance of gloss finishes can also not change the appearance of a matte finish.
I agree with you; it doesn't make much logical sense. I also agree that Finest adds noticeable gloss to glossy surfaces. However, I am 100% confident that it will have no effect on Satin or Matte clear coated paints.

Like I said, talk to the guys that make the stuff. Corey at CarPro-US is the US distributor, and if that isn't good enough you can talk to Avi, the worldwide distributor, and the guy that deals directly with the chemists. E-mail them both; I am confident they will both tell you that Finest is fine on Satin/Matte clear coated paint. I have seen it with my own eyes more than once.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #13
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

According to their web page it can be used on matte paint
http://cquartz.com/pages.php?page_id=65
As I'm not part of the "coating" crew I can't comment based on personal experience
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I have used Swissvax Opaque in the past on my Frozen Grey M5. I found the results to be pretty good, however I believe it adds a very slight shine (but acceptable). At the time this was the only product out for matte paint care (shampoo, cleaner, q/d, and wax).

I will be trying Nanolex Matte products and sealant on my Frozen Black M5. Nanolex did a side by side comparison and it did not yield any additional shine like Swissvax did.

Just got my Nanolex products in today from Germany. Shampoo, Cleaner, Q/D, Sealant and Sealant Professional. This stuff just came out. Will be using all the products and sealant this week.
      05-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Guys.....we use the Nanolex Matte products.

Have done a few Matte painted cars....

Here's a Frozen Black M3 we did recently:

More pics on our facebook page...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
I have used Swissvax Opaque in the past on my Frozen Grey M5. I found the results to be pretty good, however I believe it adds a very slight shine (but acceptable). At the time this was the only product out for matte paint care (shampoo, cleaner, q/d, and wax).

I will be trying Nanolex Matte products and sealant on my Frozen Black M5. Nanolex did a side by side comparison and it did not yield any additional shine like Swissvax did.

Just got my Nanolex products in today from Germany. Shampoo, Cleaner, Q/D, Sealant and Sealant Professional. This stuff just came out. Will be using all the products and sealant this week.
Any update here? How did the Nanolex work out?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post

Pictures???
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
Guys.....we use the Nanolex Matte products.

Have done a few Matte painted cars....

Here's a Frozen Black M3 we did recently:

More pics on our facebook page...
Seeing these pictures makes me wish I did'nt sell my Frozen Black E92!!!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0