M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

11-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #23
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

This link may be of some use for further info on Modesta, although I can't get the comparison table to work.

http://modesta.co/index.html

Forgot to mention that BC-05 is also claimed to reduce drag...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Getting put on today =).
      09-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Almost a year later. OP, update on how the the Modesta has held up?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #26
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Not the OP but my car still looks stunning. Very happy with the BC-5 and primer.

The photo was taken this summer using my iPhone.

The US distributors (two guys) have really turned me away from buying any of their products. Lets just say they are poor business people selling a good product.

I have one more car needing the coating... I will try to purchase from out of the US just to avoid these nuts. If I can't get it from another country i will just use 22ple or buy Pomponazzi when I am on one of my biz trips to Korea.
Attached Images

10-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #27
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Best sealant I have experienced. I haven't maintained mine as I should have with the M1SHOT, so the beading has diminished on the horizontal panels (just need M1SHOT to restore). I will post a longer thread with pictures soon.

@Spinny02, sorry to hear of issues with distributors - I'll send you a PM.

Last edited by Dionysus; 10-05-2014 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #28
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Not the OP but my car still looks stunning. Very happy with the BC-5 and primer.

The US distributors (two guys) have really turned me away from buying any of their products. Lets just say they are poor business people selling a good product.

I have one more car needing the coating... I will try to purchase from out of the US just to avoid these nuts. If I can't get it from another country i will just use 22ple or buy Pomponazzi when I am on one of my biz trips to Korea.
Are you a professional detailer? There are only about 11 authorized installers in the USA. It is a professional-only product. Authorized Modesta installers can be found on their location map here: http://modestausa.com/installers.html
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #29
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas
Quote:

Are you a professional detailer? There are only about 11 authorized installers in the USA. It is a professional-only product. Authorized Modesta installers can be found on their location map here: http://modestausa.com/installers.html" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://modestausa.co...llers.html</a>
No I am not a professional, but the Modesta was applied by one. I buy my stuff from overseas so I don't line the pockets of the U.S. Distributors. I was not impressed with them at all. They pulled a bait and switch on my detailer.
      12-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

UK distribution has recently changed; it's now via Miracle Detail & only provided to certified/trained detailers. I believe this is to protect it from reputational damage from poor application. Not sure if the same applies to U.S & other regions.

I stand to be corrected of course!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #31
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Quote:
No I am not a professional, but the Modesta was applied by one. I buy my stuff from overseas so I don't line the pockets of the U.S. Distributors. I was not impressed with them at all. They pulled a bait and switch on my detailer.
How so and who is your detailer? My experience has been excellent.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #32
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I meant to do an update on how Modesta has lasted at 12 months, but obviously failed! So the following posts are now an approx. 21 month update...

My car is effectively a 'daily driver', although not driven daily. It is parked outside 24/7; usually near, but not under, some large trees. The maximum time I have not washed the car is 6 weeks. Clearly, this is not a 'garage queen'. It has been subjected to copious amounts of road salt last winter. Current mileage is just under 14K miles.

I exclusively use Zaino Z7 to wash the car. Pressure wash, then 2 bucket method with grit guards & merino wash mitt.

The wheels are also washed with Zaino Z7 with microfiber wash mitt. I have never used dedicated wheel cleaners. The wheel nut 'barrels' have been washed only 5 times with a wheel brush with max time in-between approx. 6 months.

I have not used M1SHOT for approx. 6 months. I do have some baked on tar spots on the paintwork, however, it is still possible to remove new tar spots with the Z7 & merino mitt alone. Last time I applied M1SHOT, some water beading was restored for about 2 weeks.

The water sheeting/beading is now pretty much non-existent. New car honeymoon period clearly over! I lightly clayed the car with Sonus Green clay a few weeks ago to remove some embedded contaminants (tree sap, etc.) as I thought I'd give the 9h hardness a proper test.

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-29-2015 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #33
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Wheels Dirty

Washed the car this morning - last washed 4 weeks/~700 miles ago and driven through rain, etc. Wheels before: -
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-25-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #34
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Wheels Clean

Wheels after: -

- First pic shows the overall wheel (please ignore the rusty brake disc).

- Second pic shows the wheel barrels - some dirt may be evident at the rear as I can't reach that far with the wash mitt (not touched in 21 months).

- Third pic shows some close up details - the Modesta has kept the hard to reach areas clean with very little contact washing. The silver (diamond cut?) parts do show some swirl-type marks, however, these have been present since day 1. The grey painted areas are free of swirl marks and still exhibit a high level of gloss.

- Forth pic shows the wheel weights - these are coated in Modesta

- Fifth pic shows that tyre valve which is not coated in Modesta - quite the contrast compared to other parts of the wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-25-2015 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #35
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Body Dirty

Just to show how dirty my car is occasionally: -
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-25-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #36
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Body Clean

Body after: -

- First pic shows the High-gloss Shadowline trim. This was completely free of swirls until this winter when I neglected to wash the road salt from the car for several weeks. There are now some very minor swirls on this trim, however, it is in better condition than I have kept this type of trim on other cars (with other sealants) in the past.

- Second pic shows the main paintwork under an LED light. The paintwork is currently free of swirls/marks apart for one small area which I'll explain below. No marring introduced by the clay bar.

- Third picture is a distant view of the offside (driver's side in RHD market) lower rear door area

- Forth picture is a close up of the offside lower rear door area. Some fine scratches may be visible.

- Fifth picture closer shot of the offside lower rear door area.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-25-2015 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #37
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Lower Offside Door Area

My car picked up some minor damage when in for some routine work last year: -

- The First pic is a general view of the 'scuff'. Most of this was removed just by washing (as can been seen from the picture above).

- The Second pic is of some white residue at the end of the scuffed area. At first I thought this was the clear coat, however it turned out to be just the Modesta coating.

- The Third pic shows the actual damage (fine scratches). I have yet to get this repaired, but having spoken with Paul, it should be rectifiable via a polish and reapplication of Modesta to the rear door.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

So on to my conclusion after 21 months.

This is a great product to minimise wash marring. It remains the best sealant I have experienced to date.

Other sealants I have had applied to my cars have had less resistance to wash marring and brake dust, e.g. wheels usually have had baked on brake duct after 12 months or less, etc.

Modesta does need to be professionally applied and can be quite costly in comparison to other sealants, however, IMO it is very good value for money as it has so far (a) provided the claimed protection and (b) been durable.

It does not claim to nor does it provide protection against stone chips; my car now has it's fair share of them. I will at some point be returning to Paul to get the stone chips rectified and have another coat of Modesta applied. I had originally planned to do this at 24 months, however, based on how well Modesta has held up so far, will most likely wait until 36 months.

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-25-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #39
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Beading now restored via a quick wipe down with GTechniq C2.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dionysus; 05-29-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0